Don't be afraid of the dark. Russ got into the Halloween mood and decided to come up with a blend that might look a little scary, but is actually smooth and pleasantly aromatic. Russ' Monthly Blend - The Cavendish in the Woods is a Burley-based black Cavendish with notes of caramel, vanilla, honey and dried fruits. It burns slowly and is a gentle smoke. Don't let looks deceive you. Give The Cavendish in the Woods a try in time for the spookiest of holidays.

Brandpipesandcigars.com
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
2.4
Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)

As previously stated in some of my other posts I am a reborn Cavendish smoker and decided I would give this blend a whirl. I would have to agree with Bbrown that this blend is somewhat lackluster. It is a Cavendish and burly based blend that offers a mild and sweet smoke. It required frequent relights to get through the whole bowl and really loses its flavor about half way through a smoke. I don't see this becoming a part of my regular rotation. I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying CIW it's just not for me. This tobacco is certainly worth smoking or mixing with the Hodgepodge blend instead of discarding it. Perhaps the burning qualities would improve with some drying time.

Bbrown626 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bbrown626 (79)

I am an exclusive aromatic smoker. The quality of tobacco was very good, it burned well and did not bite. The room note was pleasant. However, I found the taste to be somewhat unremarkable, not bad, but it just doesn't stand out as well as some of the other "Russ Blends" I have tried. No reason to add this to my rotation.

Pipe Used: Cob

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was given a decent sized sample of this and found it to be a good enough aromatic. I wasn't crazy about the topping, particularly early on, but it did get better to my tastes as the smoke progressed. I am not sure on the room note, but the side stream coming off the smoke was great, so I imagine the room note was pretty decent.

I typically smoke in my garage, but decided I needed to take the blend in the woods with me hunting to see if Russ captured the smell of woods. Well, two things happened. One, no deer seemed to be attracted to it, which is no different than most tobaccos. And two, It tasted the same. lol

As to the taste, I can't pinpoint a particular flavor but it is pretty sweet. I do get dried fruits, slight anise and some liquer that I can't put my finger on. It is a non offensive aromatic that may ring your bell if the topping is to your fancy. It wasn't really to mine, so I am leaving it to two stars.

Pipe Used: cobs and meers

usafvol1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
usafvol1 (16)

Very solid cavendish. Just sweet enough, just tobacco-y enough. No bite. Burns good. Great to puff on all day. Everything about it is mellow and unobtrusive.

Pipe Used: Peterson system, Viking 301, Calabash meerschaum

Purchased From: P&C

papapauly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
papapauly (24)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

First off, I love Russ's blends. The man is a master at developing new and interesting tobacco's, Cavendish in the woods is no exception. I have always had a soft spot for vanilla Cavendish. It isn't my daily or even weekly smoke but I do enjoy it more than any other aromatic out there. This one is more complex, with dried fruit and even a touch of honey or brown sugar to it. It can be a bit wet, I usually fill up a country gentleman at night and let it sit until the following day before smoking but it is worth the wait. Puff this too fast and it can go bitter, but you really have to try to get it there, I'm a fast puffer and I rarely have a problem. I picked up 8 oz of this one, I like to keep it around for when I get that sweet tooth!

Pipe Used: mm country gentleman

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

michaelc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
michaelc (37)

I originally got this in a dark tobacco sampler pack. I liked it better than Lane BCA which had been my go to black Cavendish. I ordered more and my BCA has been sitting in the jar. It's not a bad yardwork smoke because it doesn't bite when I am puttering around with my pipe clenched in my teeth. It has replaced BCA in my rotation but I don't know if it will remain. It is still a work in progress at this time. Oh, an afterthought, it gets better tasting towards the bottom of the bowl.

Pipe Used: Yves St. Claude #82

Similar Blends: Lane BCA.

mightysmurf8201 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mightysmurf8201 (20)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I'm not usually a big fan of aros, but this is one I can get behind. The bag smells like vanilla, honey, and fruit. Enticing. Moisture content is fine, but if you let it dry for 10 minutes, it's that much better. Lights and burns easily. No tongue bite. Flavor stays pleasant and keeps me interested down to the end. I only get moisture build up when I smoke it out of a bent pipe, but even then, it is minimal. Room note is great. My wife says it reminds her of her grandfather's house, so that's a big plus. I give it a solid 3.3, the highest I've ever given an aro.

Pipe Used: cob, briar