Distinctively delicious! G.L. Pease seasons fine red and golden flue-cured Virginia tobaccos with rare condimental leaf, enhancing the result with a subtle vanilla/bourbon topping that is never overbearing. Rare for a blend of its genre, The Virginia Cream delivers on its aromatic promise from the first puff to the bottom of the bowl, while leaving the pipe clean and free of phantom flavors. An all-American blend ideal for Virginia fanciers craving something a little sweeter.

BrandG. L. Pease
Taste

Flatticus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flatticus (24)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Yes, it's an aromatic. There is a mild topping throughout. But that's where the similarity to just about every other widely sold aromatic tobacco I've tried ends. By far the primary taste in this blend is the Virginia, not the topping. It's expertly balanced with, to my taste buds, considerably less Dark Fired than other Pease blends have used, making this one of very few Dark Fired blends I can enjoy all day without throat pain in the morning. The topping is delicious, but it doesn't obscure the leaf, it accentuates it, bringing out the black cavendish while taking the edge off the remainder of the blend. And when you want a bit more kick, even a short DGT puts a lot more spice to the sweet. This blend reminds me of Sixpence not in terms of flavor, but in the skill of the blender. You can tell this balanced a blend did not come about by accident. No noticeable ghosting in any pipe, and seems to smoke well in everything. I preferred a meerschaum, but I think any clean pipe would do, and it smokes well in my Virginia pipes. Little to no drying time is necessary, if any, and it smokes clean to the heel, but the real proof of the pudding is after the smoke, when your pipe isn't left soaked with tar top to bottom. I'm going with "highly recommended" because I will highly recommend this to three groups of people. New smokers wanting to get to know how good an aromatic can be, experienced smokers who're convinced they don't like aromatics, and aromatic lovers who want to taste the tobacco from a blend. Which I guess is just about everybody.

Pipe Used: Clay, meerschaum, briar and cob

Update: 8/8/16

This is slowly getting less crass in its presentation. Still not very refined, and the tobacco is still overly youthful in taste - too much like a rough example of burley rather than a Virginia. But it gives me some hope after 9 months of percolating in the jar. I'll try it again next year and see if it continues to improve. For now, 2 stars is plenty.

ORIGINAL REVIEW

Chunky, choppy cut of mostly lighter shades, with a tiny bit of black tossed in. Tin nose of vanilla bourbon, as stated, and although that's what it smells like to me, I probably would have agreed with hazelnut/rum as well. It's a booze aroma along with a fairly typical aromatic additive.

This "review" is based on only four bowls, which are all I can handle at the moment. Interestingly, it's not the flavoring that turns me off. The flavoring is mild and tastes as advertised. It doesn't intrude on the tobacco taste but rather enhances. And therein lies the problem - the tobacco. Either I have lost my taste for C&D-sourced Virginias or they have changed. My recent experience with them has been that they are rough and immature. This blend follows that suit. It smokes like it has a heavier burley taste and that burley is way too young. As this is Virginia (with Kentucky), it's even more disheartening. I think the recipe is a good one but the tobacco used is not up to par and the entire thing needs time to percolate in a jar. I'm going to shelve the rest of this one for at least 3-6 months and try again. Anything Peasian is worth the extra effort, and I hope this one proves to be so. As of now, I find it barely smokable. Let's see what time does.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (161)

Smells real good in tin, like a soda as suggested.

Beautiful leaf, bight and red ribbons with some dark specks or chunks. On dry side. Packs easy. Burns steady. Not hot or wet. No chemical residue.

A steady sweet note thru the bowl with occasional spice; toward end maybe some more spice detected. But not highly flavored or real sweet like most aromatics. Can't say the sweetness tastes like a soda or pure vanilla to me, just nice company to the quality rich base tobaccos. The taste was a combo of delicate, nice flavors. Not earthy or hay.

My stuffed tin lasted about 40 bowls in two size 3 pipes. I broke each pipe in with about 15-20 bowls of TVC. and after 10 or so bowls the flavor was just about the same in each pipe -- but one broke in sooner. The flavor lasted until the last shreds of tobacco in the tin (two+ weeks). An achievement that such a light flavor stayed with the bowls and tin until the end. I find most flavored tin blends lose something after about 7-10 days unless you preserve the tobacco. I didn't; just smoked it up exclusively. Make sure you seal the lid back on after packing, and of course if you will take more than 2 weeks to finish a tin, you should preserve it in a jar.

I don't know if age will sweeten it more, as the already sweet flavor accompanies the Virginias. But aging may increase the taste experience a little.

I compared it to Blue Note due to the looks (though that has flakes) and a little to 3 Star Blues' original flavor profile. However, TVC is mostly unique.

Highly recommended for Virginia smokers who want something different but not extreme.

Pipe Used: Arlington, Rinaldo

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Similar Blends: Old Three Star Blue, Dan's Blue Note.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (197)

If there’s ever an aromatic that smokers of more natural mixtures might enjoy, this could very well be the one. First of all, this isn’t a limp wristed, mild vanilla blend. Moreover, the topping is never the focus. It’s only a mere sidebar to the overall flavor experience, an aromatic accent or high-note if you will.

From the description, this one seemed like it would be right in my wheelhouse. The Virginia Cream is sweet and spicy with a handful of appreciable nuances. The bulk of the Virginia's are bright, adding a delicate grassiness that melds harmoniously with topping. An earthier red Virginia flavor is also present, working with the rest of the components to lend a solid backbone and a few complexities. Altogether the sweet & spicy effect, mixed with the subtle touch of vanilla & bourbon produces a flavor that I find to be somewhat reminiscent of horchata.

By mid-bowl the taste intensifies, delivering a somewhat rustic variation on the theme; this also comes with a bit of strength. However, there are no huge, tectonic flavor-shifts to be found in a bowl of this, just good Virginia flavor with a moderate amount of spice and a pleasant & very well executed top note.

The Virginia Cream is an easy-going & relaxing smoke. It’s smooth, sweet and enjoyable. Altogether, I prefer smoking this in a pipe with a wide & shallow bowl. I have a couple pot shaped pipes that I have dedicated to non-Latakia mixtures. These do a nice job focusing the flavors of more complex blends by helping to keep the ember burning on the cooler side. Of course, smoking this with a slower cadence helps improve the flavor as well.

JimInks (1950)

The mildly fruity, earthy red Virginia is what you first notice upon the early puffs. They tend to rise above the other components most of the time. The gold flue-cured Virginia is citrusy with some grass as an important second lead, and the grass tends to over shadow the earth from the red Va. at times. There’s not much perique present. It is raisiny, figgy and offers just enough spice so you know it’s there. The small amount of dark fired Kentucky is slightly sour, woody, lightly nutty, and its small spice hit tends to overshadow that of the perique. The spice content in not high at all, but just enough to tingle your tongue in most every draw, though it seems to be just a little more obvious at the half way point. The black cavendish is a minor addition and helps smooth out the blend. The vanilla/bourbon toppings are subtle and very mildly applied. They don’t intrude much on the tobaccos, and weakens at the same time the spice starts to pick up, and the former may be the responsible for the latter. The strength and taste level is mild to medium. Has a slightly more than mild nic-hit. Burns cool, clean and well with a mostly consistent flavor and some smoothness. It’s not as sweet as Virginia dominant blends tend to be, especially when red Virginia is present. Leaves very little moisture in the bowl, and requires few relights. Easily burns to ash. Has a pleasant after taste that’s short lived, and the room note is pleasant. Can be an all day semi-aromatic smoke.

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (71)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

The Virginia Cream (Heirloom Collection) from G. L. Pease offers a light aromatic that may well pass muster with smokers who normally puff on other types of tobacco.

Open the tin and you find a tan ribbon cut tobacco with a few small dark chunks, apparently the black cavendish, which I suppose carries the aromatic flavoring. I often find tinned tobaccos overly moist upon first opening, but this one I can light up at once. The sniff test reveals that this is an aromatic, but not an overly strong one.

Once lit, the Virginia Cream gives a pleasant room note, not unlike that of cookies baking. When the bowl is finished you find a light grey ash with just a bit of moisture, but no goop.

The mild bourbon vanilla flavoring is noticeable, but does not overwhelm the Virginia base, and carries a soft overtone that seems similar to caramel. Those Virginias (red and gold) strike me as being more grassy than citrus like. The tobacco flavor is definitely Virginia, although not particularly sweet Virginia, darkened just a bit from the minor Kentucky (smoked burley) component. The Virginia Cream has a smidgen of perique which I do not really taste, although when exhaling through the snoot I get a slight perique nose tingle.

Smokers who usually puff on aromatics will likely find this a pleasure, even though this is an aromatic very definitely on the light side. Tobacco tastes are very subjective, and whether or not aromatic lovers will be inclined to move this into the regular location depends on that individual palate. But the vast majority of aromatic lovers will likely find this a pleasant smoke.

Those whose preference runs toward Virginias will also find The Virginia Cream an enjoyable experience. The bourbon/vanilla melds nicely with the Virginia flavor, and most definitely does not obscure it. The two tastes complement rather than clash.

Those who normally smoke blends with a distinct Latakia or oriental nature will find The Virginia Cream a quite different experience, but I suspect many among them will rate it as OK for a change of pace.

Burley lovers will not find the Kentucky in this mixture prominent enough to meet their yens. But again I suspect many of them will judge this as an an acceptable change of pace.

I smoked this both with pipes dedicated to Virginas and aromatics. If your pipe collection is large enough to where you you do not often smoke a bowl in the same pipe, you will not encounter ghosting problems.

In terms of personal enjoyment I would give The Virginia Cream all four stars. But in terms of recommendation for the general pipe smoking world, I will restrict it to three stars.

G. L. Pease - The Virginia Cream.

The blend appears to be more of a Coarse Cut than a simple Ribbon. Out of the two colours in there, brown with a small proportion of black, there are a few robust pieces of the latter. The note from the tin is quite aromatic and it has a decent water amount, so on with the smoke:

The moment I take my first puff it's clear to me that this is a blend of eminence; the vanilla (I don't get any bourbon) doesn't seem thick, cheap, or vulgar, it just oozes class: added in the right quantity to give a quality embellishment to the smoke without stealing all the thunder.

Putting the added taste to one side, that leaves the natural tobacco's: again, they're a very high quality. Even though the tin appeared to only have a tiny proportion of Black Cavendish in there, it tastes like there's more than that. I don't get much grass notes from the Virginia, but I do get an easily discernible Perique hit. The Kentucky is the final tobacco to mention: nothing remarkable, nor particularly pre-eminent, but it gives structure to the smoke.

My only quibble with V.C. is the very slight tongue bite. But considering that that's subjective there's no reason why that should put you off!

I don't get a great deal of nicotine from this, but that sits fine with me.

This is a top class blend:

Highly recommended.

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Chacom Robusto

Age When Smoked: Four Months

Purchased From: Gauntley's U.K.

Neologian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Neologian (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

What a great blend this is! I'm a new to pipe smoking (non smoker up until now) and I've been exploring various tobacco blends to see what might suit me. I was genuinely and pleasantly surprised by this one. The tin note on this one is fantastic. I'm a great fan of a good bourbon but I would not say the bourbon topping takes center stage. The aroma is sweet with a touch of sour or piquancy in the nose. It evokes a good sour mash. There are notes of dried orange peel or candied orange and vanilla and the smokey notes of bourbon. Some have complained of tongue bite on this one and so, as a new pipe smoker who is still learning to slow down and not try to keep my pipe lit by over-drawing, I worried this would be a problem for me. To the contrary, I found I got virtually no tongue bite at all. It took to the match quite well with only one relight after my char. It has a nice creamy white smoke with good vanilla notes, and a bit of spicy perique in the retrohale and sweet and ever so slightly sour notes. Many have called the flavor of this blend sweet.....which it surely is.....but I found, and particularly enjoyed, those slightly sour and spicy flavors coming through. If one were to stay with the bourbon theme I would have to say the spice reminded me of a really nice glass of Rye our a sour mash bourbon like Mitchner's. This may be the first blend I've tried where I actually enjoyed the development of the entire bowl. It evolved a little for me as I worked my way though...the first quarter of the bowl gave me nice Rye flavors early on....mid bowl I started catching ever-so-slight flashes of my grandfather's cigar....and then near the end an unexpected sweetness came through at the bottom of the bowl. I've tried other aromatics in my efforts to figure out what sort of blends I might like and in general I've found I may not be an "aromatics guy". I find many of them are at their best when left in the tin. Most become fairly off putting as the bowl progresses and become downright unpalatable at the bottom of the bowl (IMO). Virginia Cream is the first aromatic (is it really an aromatic??) that progressed wonderfully and finished clean with the original flavors coming through right to the finish...again....sweet with hints of spice and sourness that, for me, was just right. I ws surprised to find it smoked down to a clean and surprisingly dry white ash leaving a very clean bowl. There's no accounting for taste and one man's ambrosia is another man's poison but I'm an instant fan of this one. I'll be adding a few more tins for the long haul to my growing collection.

Pipe Used: Peterson's Aran

Age When Smoked: New tin

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

vespa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vespa (18)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

OK, let me get this off my chest before I go any further. If your a tobacco "Purest" and avoid anything with a "Top Note, Casinig etc". Don't spend $9 and change on TVC and come here and bash this fine blend. Because you knew what you were getting into before you made your purchase. Now on the other hand, if you're open minded toward what you smoke and like new things then I think you may just have to try TVC. I have to say that I've really enjoyed the half tin so far. This is definitely a very nice VA and it shines through from beginning to end. Don't get me wrong it's not as if the other tobaccos in the blend aren't noticeable because they are. The Dark Fire is there and gives a little more backbone to the blend while the Perique adds just a touch of extra spice. The cavendish is there just to round things out. The dreaded "Top Note" is barely noticeable which is a good thing. It does pop up as you work your way through a bowl more so in the room note than in the taste of the tobacco. Yes it adds to the sweetness but in a good way, because if your like me it smooths out the spiciness of the DF & Perique. A very well balanced blend from a master blender (Well done Mr Pease Well done). TVC burned cool, dry down to a fine white ash. No Goopy mess in the bottom of the bowl. No pipe cleaners needed to work your way through a pipe full. This is NOT some weird gimmick. This is just a damn fine blend, I just hope that they start to offer this in half pound tins because I only ordered a quarter pound and it won't last long at the rate I'm going. I can definitely see this as an all day blend. So once again if you have an open mind and want to experience an Areo that "Is and Isn't" at the same time then TVC might just be right up your alley. I Remain your Brother in Smoke 4/4

Pipe Used: Savinelli 2000 Bulldog Radice Reverse Calabash

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (76)
Very Strong Very Strong Overwhelming Strong

I must begin by saying that I have been a Pease fan for years. It's gonna get 1 star for now as such, here's why. Tin note had no vanilla, bourbon or any other aroma of those listed here by other reviewers, not contradicting anyone on their tin and experience of course, it just didn't happen for me and mine.

I asked two other nonsmokers, at different times and places, to smell the tobacco in the tin, without showing them the label (eliminates power of suggestion effect). Both independently said it smelled like soured or spoiled fruit. My own thoughts on the tin note were "spoiled apple smell" - which I kept secret during the smell test of the other two folks so as not to influence their opinion. Basically we all 3 agreed and all found the odor unpleasant - nothing "aromatic" about it to me.

Now to the smoking........... I got serious pepper effect from the very first draw,,,, unlike any blend I have ever smoked,, I mean SERIOUS pepper folks. So much so that I couldn't feel anything but the pepper effect. VA creaminess?? Maybe,,, I wouldn't know because the pepper burn dominated my palate.

I LOVE pure VAs, some aromatics, VaPers, and a few English blends, so I had VERY high hopes for this blend and couldn't wait to try it. My favorite VAs all have that "creamy" taste and I was hoping this one would too,,, but the pepper effect was simply overwhelming in a way I've never experienced with any other blend, English or otherwise.

Not finding fault with GL Pease here. There is just something not quite right about it all to me and my tastes.

I remain a GLP fan.

I hope to experience what others here have posted if I can ever bring myself to buy another tin.....But,,,,,,, for now,,,,,

1 star ........... *

Pipe Used: Any

Age When Smoked: new tin

Similar Blends: ??????????????.

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (65)
Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I thoroughly enjoyed this blend. It's not what I've come to expect from aromatics, and is a nice addition to my cellar.

The tin description is quite accurate. A solid Virginia blend with a not overpowering bourbon/vanilla topping. If you've ever had 1Q I wouldn't even compare the two, as their characteristics are quite different. The 1Q is more so a vanilla extract and sweet Cavendish, and this is a bright Virginia and spicy Kentucky with a bourbon characteristic.

The room note is pleasing as well, having a cookie-like scent I enjoy.

One thing I will note is that this is a fair bit stronger than most other aromatics I've had, giving me quite a surprise at the end. Probably would have smoked a slightly smaller bowl, but it's not intolerable.

If you like Virginia or aromatic blends, I'd recommend you at least try this one. I really enjoy it, and would have given it a 3.5 stars if it were an option. But as it is, four stars!

Pipe Used: Dagner Blue Collar Poker

Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

I hate to be so hard on this tobacco but as a dedicated smoker of both aromatics and VA blends, thanks but no thanks. MB Mixture has been around since the 1950s and blows this out of the water, as do any number of Danish aromatics.

This is an aromatic for people who still want to keep their aromatic-hating street cred, complete with Pease's stamp of approval. Pretty much the apex of try-hard tobacco.

I expect it will have a 3.5+ rating over the years on name alone.

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Alhaji Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alhaji (33)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

I'm not sure what to make of this tobacco. I got it a couple of days ago and I have to say this is the first GL Pease tobacco I've ever smoked. The tin note is fabulous. One of the best scents you'll ever get of any tobacco - like a combination of caramel, cappuccino, vanilla and bourbon all in one.

But I'm not sure how to characterize the tobacco in the pipe. Since I got it, I've concentrated on smoking it alone to the exclusion of other tobaccos, smoking about six-seven bowls in 3-4 different pipes (a L'Anatra Hornsitter; a Designer Berlin Baltic-Amber 03 and two others) the first day alone; and I've smoked 3-4 more bowls since. But I did not detect any flavour that suited my taste. Perhaps, in an attempt to ensure it is not classified as an aromatic, care was taken to 'exhume' all the detectable flavouring in the tin note, such that the Black Cavendish (BC) was muted. Yet the Virginia did not seem to me to rear its head at anytime; nor the Perique. I'm uncertain about the Kentucky either. There is not the slightest hint of sweetness or creaminess. I found it bitterish, a tad bland and unbalanced. However, it burned very well, stayed alight and culminated in a grey fine ash at the end.

Not sure if the flavouring was tempered by the addition of lots of Burley though Burley is not mentioned as a major ingredient of the product, except in the form of the BC. If that's the case, it was overdone and, IMO, 'killed off' what would have been an otherwise great tobacco had some of the flavouring in the tin note been left intact. Being a 'mild' aromatic (whatever that means) would have enhanced its quality. It is also quite strong in the nicotine department, which could have been the result of a tad too much Burley.

In final, this is a top notch tobacco which I highly recommend to others, especially GL Pease blend lovers so they can make their own judgement. Some aging might help, but for me and my taste, my 'award' is two-and-half stars at this time.

Pipe Used: See Notes.

I'm twenty puffs into this, and I am very, very impressed. Nothing at all like any aromatic I've ever tried, and I've tried all of them.

Age When Smoked: 67

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Similar Blends: Nothing yet..

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Tin note is very similar to C&D Pennington Gap. Same bourbon-y aroma. Tin was packed so full, when the tin was popped the tobacco pushed the cardboard disk right out of the can! Moisture was just perfect. Not too much to make lighting difficult, and not too dry to make this smoke hot and acrid. I love sweet Virginias, and the topping was well paired with this tobacco. The bourbon vanilla is not noticeable as far as flavor until you are halfway through the bowl. It performs as more of a sweetness than anything. Room note is quite enjoyable, very toasty and sweet. The downfall of this blend, it stings the hell out of my nose. I'm not sure if it's because of the maturity of the leaf, or if is the condimental leaf they added. Hopefully if will tone down a bit with some age. I will revisit again in a few months or so and see what age will do. I don't have a problem recommending it, but I'd probably let it sit in the cellar for a few months.

blondepiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
blondepiper (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Definitely a home run mixture from G.L Pease being a 100% virginia lover this is mixture proves to be exactly what is says. From the tin description and all other reviews about it. Blend of the year I truly believe. Blended to perfection,everything is spot on. The red and golden virginia's make the backbone of the blend and harmonizing very consistently with the subtle topping's to make a hands down great vir/aro!

Pipe Used: Free Handed brair

pipesNpints Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesNpints (5)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

One of the consistent themes you will come across when reading other reviews of this blend is it's paradoxical combination of leaf and topping. Although there may never be a consensus on what this blend is or isn't. Do you want to call it an aromatic? Ok. Does that then lump it in with goopey PG laden aromatics? I don't know, I don't know if I care. For me this is a full flavored Virginia/Perique with a touch of bourbon/vanilla. The cream soda association (where the name is derived) is apt.

Mechanics: the first 2oz tin was perfect regarding moisture, but the 8oz tin (kinda regret getting a half pound of this stuff) was on the dry side. Comes as a sort of chopped ribbon (cube?) cut. It produces full, thick clouds of smoke.

The Smoke: Lots of virginia sweetness with a touch of perique. The bourbon vanilla topping shows itself mostly in the room note but can be found wistfully over top the perique spiced sweet virginias. The wee bit of dark fired adds a nice depth that holds the bourbon vanilla topping in place.

I recommend The Virginia Cream for pretty much any smoker that is Va/Per curious. It will be a steady part of my rotation this summer.

Pipe Used: OMS Billiard

Purchased From: smokingpipes.com 8oz

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl Bourbon Bleu.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (56)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I purchased several tins of this blend - one to try now and two to age as I do with most blends that pique my interest. I always keep an Aromatic in the rotation. When the taste buds are hammered by Englishes or VaPers, an aromatic is refreshing. They are also crowd pleasers.

The tin aroma is very light. Slightly vanilla and slightly fruit. Appearance is a rougher cut Virginia with some unspun pieces here and there, no stems to be found. Definitely quality leaf. Packs and lights with no fuss. I smoke this in a Porsche design 9mm I like with a balsa filter. This pipe was previously used for light Virginias like Gold Rush and Dans blend.

Initially, after lighting I feel I am greeted with a flavor I've had before. It is definitely present in another aro. MacBaren Cube. The closest analog I can describe is Juicy Fruit gum. As the bowl progresses, this fades slightly and you definitely know you are smoking a solid sweet Virginia with good mouth feel. At this point I find there's a creamy element periodically discerned in the nasal passages. Additionally, I do frequently get something akin to a caramel bourbon bouquet in the side-stream smoke I'm able to smell. Again, I find these flavors subtly weave in and out rather than hit you head on. Keeping your puffs light and even will deliver the best results - like most tobaccos.

All in all this is a good tobacco. It doesn't break any new ground or redefine aromatics, but demonstrate how judicious use of flavoring can accentuate a good blend. This flavoring is lighter than MacBaren aros., and the blend is more forgiving, with great burning qualities.

This is one I'm gonna keep around for when I have the sweet tooth. Curious to see how it ages as well. Recommended.

Pipe Used: Porsche Design

Similar Blends: Macbaren Cube.

r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
r (32)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A very enjoyable blend.

I opened a tin labeled 10-1-15 in early January 2016. I was greeted with an intriguing aroma - a mix of a pleasant spirit and a candy-like sweetness. I couldn't quite place it beyond an honest "yum". The bright Virginias were nicely cut in longish ribbons, adorned with small chunks of Cavendish. The tobacco was evidently moist, but not goopy.

Being an unskilled aromatic smoker, I let some tobacco dry for an hour and decided to lightly pack a Peterson 106 bowl. Gravity fill, tiny pinch for the top.

A root beer float came to mind when first exploring the copious, generous smoke this blend produces. Then I tried to zero in on the liquor - is it rum? Bourbon? Perhaps even brandy? And is that just vanilla or is there a hint of spice hidden somewhere?

All these perplexed thoughts were indicative of a complex, engaging, and memorable smoke ; one I intend to revisit soon.

Weisenheimer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Weisenheimer (19)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If Navigator is for the "men", The Virginia Cream is for the "boys". That said, the Kentucky portion in TVC s much less prominent as compared to Navigator. Any vanilla flavouring is hardly noticeable, and the "bourbon" is probably from the same cask which serves other GLP blends as well... e.g. in Navigator, Sixpence, Haddo's... sometimes called rum... whatsoever... Same as Navigator, I have the feeling to smoke two tobaccos in parallel... possibly a matter of age, since the components yet haven't had the chance to "marry". Somewhat disappointing is the Virginia constituent, as I think that Cornell&Diehl have better leaf on stock, than what Greg used here for making TVC. In conclusion I might give TVC one more chance after one year of aging, hence, 2.7 stars for the time being.

Pipe Used: Duca Pipe (M. Rimensi) Volcano

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin, batch# 10 1-15

Similar Blends: A "timid" cousin of Navigator....

wags888 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wags888 (11)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Light, bright, with a little extra on the room note. I've preferred Latakia forward blends, but was gifted a small sample of Virginia Cream by a friend who said it could easily be classed as a Virginia not an Aromatic. This was a good smoke and the brightness of VA was there. I tasted hardly any "vanilla and bourbon" but that might be representative of this being first a VA and second a lightly topped aromatic.

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh from bag from fresh tin

Purchased From: Friend

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (99)

Spouse bought me this off wishlist - love Virginias and anything Vanilla. Note to new converts do yourself a favor and age any Pease product x 2 years minimum - IMHO, as his stuff is very fresh at tinning. I set this up 2 years Tin note is very bourbon...ish, maybe some vanilla to smooth it out, and its not a low end casing, it seems genuine. Takes a bit to keep lit, quality Va and Kentucky in here, and I assume the Black Cavendish - of which is very present-must be the topping's resting place.

The problem I had with this blend, and I complete full tin's prior to reviews, is that the beautiful tin note did not translate to taste in this blend. Or at the very least not consistently throughout each bowl or bowl to bowl. I didn't actually taste any bourbon or vanilla individually, just some sweet amalgamation of something liquor..ish in nature.

Now for the crazy part - I used two meers and two briars for this blend - remember it doesn't ghost. It took me a couple of weeks to realize that each of those pipes had a residual scent not unlike - at least in part - to the lemony scent of Pledge Furniture Polish (LOL). I have no idea how else to explain that, but the better 1/2 verified this so I am not [totally] insane. Not a chemical smell, but a Pledge smell....

Positives: Quality Leaf. Negative: Pease's attempt at lightly topping this blend resulted in a dulling of flavors.

Pipe Used: Meers & Briars

Age When Smoked: 27 Months

A pleasant smoke. The natural tobacco flavors are the main attraction with the Virginias dominating those. I get the Reds and Golds roughly equally. The Perique shows in the background with the Kentucky and Black Cav barely noted. Has a nice sweetness and a mild spice. Although the topping is mild, I think it's my favorite part of this blend. A really nice vanilla flavoring with just a touch of bourbon. Makes for a great tasting and creamy smoke.

Medium in body and taste. Flavoring is mild. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (172)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I decided to see what Mr Pease did with an aromatic and I really am not that impressed with this one at all. I expected a bit more than what I have here with the combination of components and flavoring. The blend is a bit on the dry side upon opening and does not improve with time. It lights and burns nicely and is easy to get lit. The best thing about this is the room note should get you some compliments. Recommended if you want to add to your aromatic rotation.

BriarWoody Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarWoody (33)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Pease blended an Aero? Curiosity got the best of me. This is tasty and refined, with a topping that doesn't detract from the core Virginias, which are delicious and enhanced by the perfect balance of perique and Kentucky that deliver body and depth. Think 1Q on steroids and you get the picture.

It's more than just a great change of pace when you want something a little sweet. It can easily be an all-day blend, and it has a reasonably good room note. Doesn't ghost a pipe, but it's so tasty you may want to dedicate one to it. Definitely worth a try.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Group 3s, Ashton XXX, Caminetto Rhodesian

Age When Smoked: Fresh Tin

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (169)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

When you pop the tin, it smells like Cream soda, which is exactly as I wanted it to smell like. However once I put a match to it, it tasted odd and sort of chemically. I definitely got the Vanilla cream flavor, that was sitting on some really nice and meaty Virginia, but there is a weird taste on the sides and back of my tongue that gets worse as the bowl progresses. It was the same taste that I get from certain Lakelands that I don't care for, I suppose it's one of the toppings that doesn't agree with me. Also, it packs a stronger nic hit than I was expecting, this may be a boon for some, but it surprised me, every bowl I smoked, the nic snuck up on me. You would have thought that I would be ready after the first bowl, but I tended to get lost in the voluminous amounts of creamy smoke and all of the sudden....bam.

Pipe Used: Various

Perdurabo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perdurabo (21)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

As others have noted, don't come here bashing The Virginia Cream because you expected Pease to create something that's completely impossible. "An aromatic that every Pipe smoker will enjoy, Guaranteed!" It ain't happening.

As far as TVC is concerned, it's a tasty aromatic. The topping is not the star of the show. The Virginia, Dark Fired and Perique take that role. The topping seems to add a subtle natural enhancement to the delicate leaf, leaving one satisfied.

Virginia Cream starts out with as much aromatic taste as it's going to get. At first light you are enveloped with a Cream Soda Float. As the bowl burns further, the tobaccos develop into a beautiful bouquet of Sweet Virginas, with hints of dark fired and perique which adds some spice to the smoke. The cream soda tends to stay on the down low, enhancing the leaf not drowning it down. At the bottom of the bowl, Virginia Cream started to taste similar to C&D's Three Friars, Which was a huge surprise. Virginia Cream isn't goopy, doesn't burn wet, but does leave a hint of its existence in the pipe. Nothing a deep clean or a few bowls of Haunted Bookshop won't cure.

With all that being said, it does better in a large bowl, allowing the tobacco to breathe. I've smoked it in a small cob, it seemed to mute the flavors. Surprisingly, The Virginia Cream reminded me of C&D's Golden Days of Yore. A beautiful aromatic tobacco that does the aromatic magick just like Virginia Cream. The Katerini in Golden Days adds a spice that the perique adds to the Virginia Cream. Two different aromatics, but oddly the same. Strange.

TVC isn't for everyone, but if you're looking for an aromatic to smoke while taking a break of the normal rotation, she'll do.

ADDITIONAL NOTES: Having smoked about 7 bowls of The Virginia Cream, I've had some bowls not live up to the greatness of other bowls. The topping changes between smokes, which has thrown me for a loop. I get caramel and coffee notes from time to time, and of course the CreamSoda/ginger beer note(Love this) The dark fired adds a bit of nuttiness that helps bring forward the coffe note I'm getting. The perique is the culprit of the soda/ginger beer flavor, that this blend exudes. The bourbon reveals itself stronger at first light then dissipates and the vanilla steps forward a bit later. Also Orlik Dark Strong comes to mind in the tin note....weird huh! Over all this blend is excellent, the tobacco is top notch, and the smoke is very complex for an aromatic.

Pipe Used: Cob and Briar

Similar Blends: C&D Golden Days of Yore.

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (90)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My tin of The Virginia Cream was dated 01-16. Though I’d intended to age it, I got curious and opened it, on a whim. Glad I did! The smell of the loose, variegated chunks of tobacco somehow reminds me of a bready Orlik Golden Sliced “Plus”, with Bourbon, vanilla and citrus over well-melded, well-mannered VAs, honey suckle sweet, with a fruity dash of Perique, and barely enough smoky, pungent KY to register from the tin, but plenty enough to deepen and beef up the blend when it's smoked. Yum. I load up a big pipe, because it burns fast, once it's well lit, and right from the match I enjoy the fragrant clouds of smoke. There is KY and Perique in the room note and in the tastes, and both compliment rather than dominate the VAs, which are a nice balance of stoved and air cured, earthy reds and snappy, grassy brights. Down the bowl, the KY gets a little feistier, and throughout it adds a slightly smoky, buttery quality that enhances and enriches the toppings. As for the toppings, they are very well met, and they figure in, as promised, top to bottom. So far, this blend has required some re-lights when I smoke it straight from the tin, but this has not brought me to dry it out. Strength is medium, or close to it. Tastes run medium, at least from a big bowl. Aftertaste is a smokier version of the smoke, with no chemicals to wreck it.

Lucky me, another hit from GLP, and another of the "new breed" of aromatics with which we smokers have been recently favored. Four stars, and an extra tin for my cellar. Not sure, but this might be too much tobacco for some beginners, aromatic aspect notwithstanding.

Pipe Used: various briars; larger preferred

Age When Smoked: 6 mos. in the tin.

Purchased From: Liberty Tobacco

Similar Blends: Orlik Golden Sliced, "Plus"..

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (108)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

The tin has a wonderful aroma of bourbon whisky, which to my surprise I can actually taste when I smoke it! This is unusual for me since most aromatics simply taste like hot air to my pallet. A nice mild blend interesting enough to be enjoyable as an all day smoke!

Pipe Used: Radice Rind

Similar Blends: Sixpence, Mac Baren Vanilla, Stokkebye's Highland Whiskey.

I really enjoyed Virginia Cream and especially the hint of Vanilla (tasted a little like it had nutmeg in it) mixed with a muted, but noted alcohol. The Virginia and chunks of whatever the darker leaf was, burned pleasantly and without bitterness, even as I hit the bottom third of the bowl. Subsequent bowls of this blend in a variety of style pipes brought the same results, although a Dublin shaped pipe that I smoke aromatics in, made the presentation stronger and actually, to me, better, as the smaller space gathered in all the flavors as I puffed. And my wife and kids actually didn't run for cover when I smoked it. Really good stuff.

Pipestud

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Virginia Cream is the type of aromatic that one might expect from the mind of Greg Pease in that the topping, while stronger smelling in the tin, doesn’t get in the way of the tobacco flavor. Comprised mainly of lighter tobaccos, the burn is clean and I didn’t notice much, if any ghost in my pipe. In the interest of full disclosure, I am not a huge fan of C&D Virginia tobaccos and Virginia is the dominate flavor along with vanilla and a hint of bourbon. Given the fact that there is some added spirits, I would expect this to be one of the few aromatics to continue to improve with age as the sweetness of the Virginia's and spirits meld over the years. As others have pointed out, there is a “soda” quality to this blend and it should appeal to smokers of both aromatics and non-aromatics alike. I have squirreled away a couple of tins to see what a couple of years does for this blend. I expect it will be great.

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (81)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This blend received some serious praise and hype following its release for good reason. The tin note is wonderful. Definitely bourbon and vanilla. The tobacco beneath the topping still shines. The black cavendish is always apparent, the Perique is detectable but it is conservatively applied. The Kentucky provides a nice nutty flavor and some strength. The Virginia is more earthy than grassy or hay like. Now, how intrusive is the topping? I can't say that it's ever completely gone or unnoticeable. But it serves to enhance the flavor from the tobacco rather than make up for a bland blend and doesn't leave a goopy residue in the pipe. I will not say, however, that it is the only aromatic of its kind. There are others like C&D Golden Days of Yore, Mac Baren Modern Virginia, Mac Baren Navy Flake, and more. While not the only of its kind it is towards the top of the list.

Pipe Used: Briars, Meerschaums, Cobs

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl - Christmas Blend 2015 (Golden Days of Yore).

Oldbelt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oldbelt (6)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

One vote here for tobacco of the year. As mostly a Virginia smoker I have to comment that this is quite a shift of pace. Quality tobacco, not to much casing once in the bowl ( tin note is strong. Made me thing this is a heavy aromatic, not so) Nice easy Virginia blend, maybe some perique. Stays even all the way through the bowl. As for complexity, maybe some age will help. It is not a nice aged Virginia like I am used to but a nice switch up. Take it for what it is, an aromatic in the least sense with quality tobacco. Blended with great skill. Add one to my rotation.

Pipe Used: Savanelli custom pipe

Age When Smoked: Out of the tin

Purchased From: Smoking pipes.com

Similar Blends: Stands on its own.