Twisted forms of aged dark brown leaf with an aromatic character. Enormous flavor aroma and strength tamed with slow puffing.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blended BySamuel Gawith
CutRope
Packaging50g tin,Bulk
Strength
Extremely Strong
Medium, Medium to Strong, Very Strong
Taste
Medium, Full
Strong

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Overwhelming Very Strong Medium Strong

My review of #4 above remains unchanged, except that this has more stinky casings. Although I generally dislike these flavorings, they actually create a minimal flavor increase. The tobacco remains too strong though. The sharp sensation in the back of my throat echoes of smoking rat poison. 'Course, that's just my subjective opinion.

Just for reference, I like SG's Black Irish X. Still strong, but smoother and more flavorful.

plumesnrings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
plumesnrings (5)
Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first review and I would like to share this one as it the most wonderful smoke I have ever had, I smoked cigarettes for 25 years and closet pipe smoker for 20, I have now decided to take on my pipe on a full time basis. I am going full hog, no more inhaling and just enjoying the pure pleasure of pipe smoking. I had difficulty with getting my nicotine kick from years of cigarette addiction! The most were too mild and gave a good tongue bite when I tried to rush it. This is the perfect option for those cigarette addicts out there who wants a good kick in the morning with a cup of coffee, or for those quick smoke breaks at work. Be warned though this is not a full bowl tobacco if you are going to rush it. I got a little clay and cut a small amount off the marvellous smelling rope, stick it in there and puff away, there is no tongue bite whatsoever and the flavours does not mind being rushed a little. Don't expect an overwhelming blast of nicotine rushing through your body, it is rather like a mellow and gentle, calm and relaxing process, man what an experience, I have cracked it this is my choice for early morning, cold winter days, nights and mornings and quick fixes at work. Can't wait for the summer to have a nice bowl full with a pot of coffee sitting out in the garden, WONDERFUL!

Eagleman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eagleman (7)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

This is a superb tobacco and compares well with a good quality virginia flake. True, it does look very like something the dog left on the mat, but put aside your doubts! It burns easily and well and with a good wholesome flavour. It really isn't too strong at all albeit it is a little stronger than, say, Gawith's Full Virginia Flake. I'd characterise this stuff as a fine flavoured and rewarding smoke. And there is not a trace of anything other than straightforward virginia type tobacco's and certainly none of that foul Latakia stuff! Buy it! Smoke it! Enjoy it!

KEF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KEF (13)
Extremely Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

I really like this tobacco. I first tried the regular brown rope, and this later, and found the aromatic to be much smoother. I can barely taste what I believe is tonquin essence, but it compliments the taste of the tobacco beautifully. One reviewer described it as a caramel taste, and I agree, but it is a subtle flavor. Cut into 1/4 inch slices and rubbed out it can be hard to get lit, but once going, it burns well, particularly in a taller narrow (smaller :)) bowl. Strong tobacco. 8 of 10. - Kelly

tomobedlam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomobedlam (13)
Extremely Strong Very Strong Very Full Strong

I picked up a hunk of this at my favorite tobacconist here in Piedmont(Oakland). The proprietor looked at me a bit warily and said, "Well, you oughta be careful with this one...Its like sitting in a bar drinking Maitais all night, smooth as can be but you go to get up and you can't...be real careful". I forged ahead with it feeling even more enthusiastic than I already did after a recommendation like that. I saw this style of tobacco in the Jim Jarmusch film Dead Man, and was intrigued. After slicing it into several discs, I broke it all up into my pipe and lit up...wheeeew, tastes something like cigars, or rather more like Gitane cigarettes, which I used to love. Quite a nice flavor and does not leave the room smelling as evilly as a cigar. The after taste is like a nice smooth carmelly virginia. The tobacconist was correct though, I'm going to have to wait a bit before I get out of my chair!

Podge Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Podge (2)
Extremely Strong Medium to Strong Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

If you have read the works of Douglas Adams and are aware of the pleasures of a ?Pan-Galactic Gargleblaster?, here it is in pipe tobacco form! This is quite possibly as strong a tobacco as one is able to buy and still remain within the law. It is VERY strong and should only be approached by an experienced smoker. The basics are as for Brown Twist #4 (see the review there), but this has the addition of a tonka bean flavouring, which seems to alter its characteristics significantly.

Pouch aroma is similar to 1792 flake, although somewhat lighter. It is ?musty? and forbidding, but not unpleasant. After slicing and rubbing well it packs easily. A good charring light will set up a good, easy, burn ? although one is reminded of the instructions on English fireworks ?light the blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance! The rich flavour and strength of the tobacco hit immediately and can come as a shock until you know the tobacco. The taste is surprisingly complex and works differently in different pipes. It sometimes starts out quite sweet and then turns more sour in character, almost reaching the point of unpleasantness before switching back to a delicate sweetness. This interchange can take place several times in a bowlful, with a lovely neutrality in between. The flavour is held throughout the bowl, and even becomes more pleasant towards the end. It is often a smoke that one wants never to end because it is so very pleasant. Room aroma may not be appreciated by all spectators, although it is not as strong as one would imagine and not unpleasant. I would warmly commend this tobacco to those used to full strength blends, although initially it would probably be better to try it after a meal and in a small pipe. It may be better to remain seated also. The 25g pack is a great way to try out the tobacco. Enjoy! Paul Campbell.