Twisted forms of aged dark brown leaf with an aromatic character. Enormous flavor aroma and strength tamed with slow puffing.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Mild to Medium, Medium to Strong, Very Strong
Taste
Pleasant, Tolerable, Strong
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Samuel Gawith - Brown Rope No.4 Aromatic.

This is one of the best ropes I've smoked!

The most important thing with BRN4A, is the preparation; this will decide whether it's going to be a pipe full of joy, or a pipe to run from. The tobacco has a few qualities synonymous with both rope blends, and Sam Gawith: it's very thick and fairly stubborn to slice and rub; it must be correctly rubbed out otherwise there's no way it will stay lit. Ok, that's more of a generic rope issue. The more idiosyncratic issue for Sam G' now: it's soaked! In fact there's even oil stains on the greaseproof wrapper it's that wet!

A first I couldn't get much of an 'Aromatic' quality from the smoke; "this is a mild flavoured smoke", I thought. It requires a little time for the full flavour to come to fruition. When it does, I don't get any acridness from the smoke, nor do I find it at all floral. It has more of a mellow flavour to it; there's a subtle sweetness, with a sort of fresh dough quality.

Now, nicotine: I'd expected this one to shut me down, or at least knock me out! I'm surprised to say though, I don't find it anymore than medium-to-strong; strong requiring a big puff.

My only problem with this is the speed of the burn; as it needs to be finely rubbed to enable it to even light, that causes it to go quickly.

Other than that though, it easily earns four stars from me.

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Roma

Purchased From: My Smoking Shop

shrimpy jim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
shrimpy jim (5)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Strange taste.Looks like an old stogie in the wrapper but I can smoke it and dont find it as strong as Condor or to me still the strongest,Petersons irish flake.Jim.Liverpool.

Pipe Used: Ogdens small billiard

Purchased From: mysmokingshop,Preston,England.

Similar Blends: None so far..

tomobedlam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomobedlam (16)
Extremely Strong Very Strong Very Full Strong

I picked up a hunk of this at my favorite tobacconist here in Piedmont(Oakland). The proprietor looked at me a bit warily and said, "Well, you oughta be careful with this one...Its like sitting in a bar drinking Maitais all night, smooth as can be but you go to get up and you can't...be real careful". I forged ahead with it feeling even more enthusiastic than I already did after a recommendation like that. I saw this style of tobacco in the Jim Jarmusch film Dead Man, and was intrigued. After slicing it into several discs, I broke it all up into my pipe and lit up...wheeeew, tastes something like cigars, or rather more like Gitane cigarettes, which I used to love. Quite a nice flavor and does not leave the room smelling as evilly as a cigar. The after taste is like a nice smooth carmelly virginia. The tobacconist was correct though, I'm going to have to wait a bit before I get out of my chair!