Twisted forms of aged dark brown leaf. Enormous flavor aroma and strength tamed with slow puffing.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blended BySamuel Gawith
CutRope
Packaging50 g tin or Bulk
Strength
Strong
Taste
Full
Strong

BriarPatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarPatch (33)
Extremely Strong None Detected Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

Well.

Strong is an adjective that is horribly misused on this board in lieu of harsh. Far too many English / Balkan blends out there are improperly cured and aged (or blended with inferior tobaccos) resulting in a harsh smoking experience (particularly, IMHO, the more prominent American brands). But harsh has nothing to do with strong, and one experience with Brown Rope No. 4 will prove my point. Unless you've been smoking non-aromatics for years, you are likely to find the strength of Brown Rope No. 4 overwhelming. But it's not harsh. No, not in the least bit. Rich, creamy, velvety, exquisite, and (did I mention?) -strong. This tobacco is in a category all it's own (save for a very few others, all from Kendall).

I am not much of a ritual guy, don't enjoy all the fuss, cutting, and rubbing of flakes, twists, & plugs. And so when I opened my first tin of Brown Rope and began its dissection into a combustible form, my only thought was that this involved far too much work.

But that was before I tasted it. Now, after each evening's meal, I greedily assemble my cutting implements and happily go about the work of preparing a bowl with never a thought to the work involved. Only to the pleasure this tobacco, as no other, provides: The richness, strength, and fullness desired after the conclusion of the evening meal.

Some thoughts on approaching this tobacco:

1st, I think it is best reserved for the evening smoke, as noted. I have been smoking full - bodied English for almost 30 years, but I wouldn't care for this most other times during the day.

2nd, on your first few go arounds, try slicing a dime (or perhaps two) off of the rope, and add it to your preferred evening smoke. It won't look like a lot, but believe me, you'll know it's there. In fact, you might be content just to leave Brown Rope as an evening additive to your standard blend. Starting off with a straight full bowl is not recommended under most circumstances.

3rd (as always) I must admonish those seeking to dry this tobacco: please do not. It is shipped and packed ready to smoke. They've been doing it at Samueal Gawith for a couple hundred years and they've gotten pretty good at it. Moist = rich, cool, & slow, dry= harsh, shrill, and fast.

And, lastly, if you haven't been smoking for a while, or have no love for full, big- bodied tobaccos, no sense in even looking in this direction. This is a BIG tobacco.

And, a very BIG pleasure!

panduji68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panduji68 (23)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

First off, let me say that I have been wanting to sample this offering from Samuel Gawith for quite some time. When my two tins arrived in the post, I was beyond excited to say the least. Upon opening one of the tins (I plan on cellaring the other tin for years), I observed what appeared to be reasonable facsimiles of two dog droppings deposited in my tin. Knowing these weren't actual canine feces, I put my nose over the tin and wafted the aroma toward my nose. Never having tried this twist tobacco, the aroma was quite alarming. It was more of a fine cigar than any pipe tobacco I have sampled. It was not offensive, just not what I had expected.

I took my favorite German Wusthof kitchen knife (sharp beyond the bounds of reason) and cut off a 1/4 inch thick coin of this dark tobacco by just pushing downward upon it. It was then that I noticed how beautiful this dog turd looking twist of tobacco I was holding in my hand truly was. As I examined it, I realized it was completely whole tobacco leaf in it's purest form. It was not cut, mutilated, chopped, diced or otherwise molested in any manner. It was a whole tobacco leaf twisted into a rope. I put the twist back into the tin, and attempted to take the coin I had cut and rub it out between my palms. Initially, it appeared to rub out just fine, and expanded nicely into a medium sized bowl's worth of tobacco. When I squeezed it between my fingers, it felt a bit moist, and upon further examination did not rub out all that well at all. I began pulling apart the pieces, and they stretched out into almost 2 inch long quarter inch wide ribbon cut looking leaves. Duh... This is whole tobacco leaf! It was beautiful! I then took the ribbons and broke them into smaller pieces reminiscent of a cross cut tobacco. Now, it looked like it would actually take light.

I packed a large bowl 601 Savinelli Church Warden because I was expecting a rather hot smoke. It packed nicely, and took off burning like champ after two charring lights and occasional tamping. Counterintuitive, it burned very cool. Although I had been expecting a huge wallop of nicotine from the reviews here, I found the N content no more menacing than Royal Yacht, Irish Flake, or 1792. It was definitely making itself present, but not at all overpowering and did not catch me unawares. It merely settled me into my leather recliner to contemplate it further. A very full flavored but almost single dimensional smoke ensued. Very cigar like on the palate with a room note to match. My beautiful wife (who is amazingly tolerant and even loving of latakia, virginia and burley room notes) politely informed me of the following: "that pipe smells a bit ripe honey." Taking the hint, I retired onto the patio to ruminate over the remainder of the smoke.

A very good, quality tobacco no doubt! A bit harsh at the beginning of the bowl if exhaled through the nose, then settles down a bit toward the end becoming quite enjoyable and even slightly sweet. I must retract my "one dimensional" statement at this point due to this sweetness at the end. It now seems two dimensional. The nicotine does increase at the end of the bowl, and this is no tobacco for hippies, metrosexuals, or the casual and occasional piper. This is a man's tobacco, and presents itself as such with no pretentiousness in it's appearance and tin aroma. I really like it as an occasional after dinner, having eaten too much, paired with a quality Kentucky Bourbon type of smoke. I view it as an occasional treat.

I forgot to add that pipe smoking has taught me to be deliberate and have patience. My "I want it now" mentality has gone out the window due to several bad experiences with not allowing pipe tobacco to dry out, age, cellar, etc... before smoking. This is a wonderful tobacco to prepare and get excited about. The ritual involved in smoking it is akin to a hot towel on the face, pre-shave oil, single blade safety razor wet shave with a fine badger hair brush all lathered up, followed by Pinaud Clubman aftershave lotion. A ritual truly worthy of it's end result. Complete relaxation and satisfaction!

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (45)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Tin appearance:like a badly formed cigar(well it is a rope of course),dryish to the touch and looser than the "black xx" variant..

Tin aroma:mild and innofensive(surprising ;because of its legend i was expecting something pungent),cigarish or brown tobacco smell,,almost no odour really..

Preparation:I take a chunk offcut that was already loose and rub it out(well i actually used a bud grinder)and it was easier to process than the rubbery "black xx" variant.

I load into my 6" georgian clay (my favourite standard pipe BTW, and not because i am smoking this).

Lighting:It burns strait away which gives it an advantage over "black xx" which needs to be completely dried out,,,;this seems more geared for smoking than chewing(i don't actually chew though)

Flavour:a mild cigar(pff!,,:i won't say i was dissapointed because to be honest;after smoking the "black xx"variant which i found bloody strong,this was actually a pleasant surprise!)..

Oppinion:Well? - this is supposed to be the stronger nicoteen and tar version of "black xx"?,,;who did the testing to find that out,a labratory?,,;put it this way;it couldn't of been anybody human who has actually smoked them back to back!,,:I am actually writing this review while still making my mind up what to do with the two tins i bought of the 50g "black xx" which i am currently drying out 25g's worth shredded up,waiting for it to dry out as much as i can before i get a final and fair oppinion of it as a smoke..

More:This is basically nice to smoke but it will make you cough if you take it back,also it has none of that paracetamol and vodka spirit aftertaste/nicoteen flavour that "black xx" has,,nor does it have any diesal sump oil flavour factor either.. I dont even feel spun out and i have had two bowls in a row(admittedly only clay pipe sized,but i did give it a good thermodynamic punishment like i do in all tobacco trials to see what its made of, and what the maximum flavour is that i can coax out of it ,which would burn out a briar bowl)..

More:(admittedly on trying out the "black xx" i had already been caning about 4 flakes worth of "irish flake" before hand,so i may of reached my nicoteen powerband and was already over reving) I am sniffing the tin of "brown #4"again and it reminds me of uncooked pork sausages slightly,,,;like the smell when you just pull them out of the cling film on that polystyrene tray,,;simular actually to when smoking "irish flake" which has a pork and apple taste;this rope has a slightly porky flavour(but not bacon)..(I did use a different pipe so its definately not a ghost)..

AND:The mildness of this and the raw strength of the "black xx" makes me think i will later try blending the two if i can't happily smoke the "black xx on its own(i got to get rid of it somehow),,but for now i will give them both more time separately before reaching a final judgement..I'm gona have another bowl of "brown #4" now and will give my final judgement when finishing this tin off lest i have judged it too prematurely..

FINAL OPPINION :¬):Like "black xx",preshredding and letting it dry out improves the smoke(not that it was wet to begin with),,,some of its mild rubber aftertaste is softened considerably and the dry cigarish factor is toned down as well.

This is quite a pleasant full bodied smoke as long as you remember not to inhale or let the smoke blow in your eyes;its flavour is quite mild and dry actually and tastes quitew like a mildly smoked frankfurter hotdog sausage(if you sip and pack the bowl right or have a drink or biscuit on hand you won't get aftertaste spoiling your session)

I still maintain that i think the "black xx" is is stronger though,,;this may be down to the fact that"black xx" is denser and so i am possibly getting more mass of baccy per bowl volume than "brown #4" in the same bowl,even if "brown #4"is theoretically the stronger smoke..

I will likely purchase the "brown #4" rope in future over the "black xx" by choice because as a stand alone it is quite unique and i favour "gawith and hoggarths dark large xx plug" more than "SG's black xx";there is no point in smoking one thing wishing it was something else esp when the tastes are within a nats cock of each other;"dark xx plug"has a beef factor which i miss in "black xx".

"Brown #4" also burns faster than "black xx" and is quite a fast burner for a cool smoke..I think i prefer "brown #4" to "petersons irish flake" as well because it is not cased(plus i think "university flake is preferable to "irish flake" because it tases more unique compared to my choice of archetypal smokes within a genre) The only drawback that "brown #4" has compared to "irish flake is that "irish flake" burns really slowly and lasts double time what most other baccys do,whereas "brown #4"is quite quickly over.

I can't say much about "brown #4's" room note because i smoked it outside other than it is like a very mild cigar. Its a good breaktime blaster before another smokeless work session..

I just want to add because i feel that it is important that;blending a 50/50 mix of "brown #4" and "black xx" produces a combineed smoke that is better than either of them separately,,;they cancel out each others bad spots to produce a more rounded and fuller tasting blend which is how i think i will continue to consumme "black xx",,,(brown #4 is ok on its own but tastes a bit empty when compared to this mixture)..

The flavour of 50/50 "brown#4"/"blackxx" tastes like a barbequed sausage(banger) and has a moreish factor that is greater than the separate components.And the more ready to burn nature of "brown#4" helps to burn the "blackxx" better...

Glad i tried these ropes!

Update 21/05/11:I have been smoking this for a couple of months and really enjoy it;a paradigm change has happened in my tastes,and i have aclimatised to strong ropes and plugs nicely.

Having been out of the tin a couple of month and jarred,i can say that its strength has got milder and it has become a more approachable and easy smoke(the same goes for the black XX rope as well) When strait out of the tin i can honestly say this is the strongest nicoteen tobacco i have tasted but,after 2 months this has become milder where as Irish Flake which i purchased at the same time has actually got stronger with age and drying out of the tin.So i am now thinking that Irish Flake is the strongest pipe tobacco i know of. Anyway i thoroughly enjoy a pipe of brown#4 whether new or jarred,it is still a very strong tobacco in either case and gives a satisfying strong smoke.

I will definately repurchase some more.

pacman357 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pacman357 (15)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Had an epiphany a couple nights ago when I sat down to hack my way into a piece of this (visually) unattractive rope. After cutting up enough small chunks to fit most of a large bowl, I realized that it looked like this would be a beotch to light. I topped it with about 1/4" MacCranie's red ribbon VA. Worked like a charm in a couple ways. First, I got the flavor of the RR to start, with hints of the BR coming through. Second, it helped get the BR started, and the BR then burned like a champ. I don't know if anyone else would like it, but man, what an enjoyable bowl. I might experiment with starting some BR with a different ribbon style to fire up some BR, but damn, what a seriously delicious way to serve up an appetizer and main course in one pipe.

Mesh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mesh (21)
Extremely Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I find this very high quality tobacco too strong to smoke on its own, but I'm currently going through a jar containing this and Davidoff Scottish Mixture, which is too mild and boring to smoke alone (apologies to any fans). The result is a strong, easy burning, flavourful blend perfect for the evening.

The moral of the story: if you can't stomach the strength or taste of Brown Rope, try mixing it with a tin of mediocrity which you wish you hadn't bought!

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (121)
Very Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

Lots of preparation, result not always guaranteed. More strength than flavor. Tastes more like cheap cigarettes than pipe tobacco. Slow puffing is mandatory or else... Worth trying, in a philosophical way of thinking, not for the faint of heart. It's smoke without flavor, strength without purpose, toil without satisfaction...Well you get my drift. Perfect for those breaks while working in a coalmine shaft, I mean after inhaling so much coal dust, even this cheap, tasteless weed is a welcome respite. As for " full bodied cigar taste " ??? I smoke Cuban cigars and none that I tried had that flat taste, go figure.

CaptainEnormous Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptainEnormous (17)
Strong Strong Full Strong

What a disappointment. I'd read fantastic reviews of this tobacco (as you have, no doubt, if you are reading this) and I expected a rich, strong, luxuriant pipe tobacco.

But that's not what this is.

Brown No. 4 is a badly rolled cigar, that's passed on to pipe smokers as "rope". The tobacco has none of the nuance that pipe blends are known for. It's just a cigar without a wrapper that's squashed into a tin and marketed to pipe smokers. It smokes and tastes like a mid-flavor cigar. Which isn't a bad thing mind you, but it's not what one expects from a pipe blend. In retrospect, I should have been worried when prior positive reviews noted that this blend could be smoked, chewed, or ground up as snuff. All of that is true. . .unfortunately.

If you are a fan of cigars and want to save some money, then this might be an option for you. I guess. But even then it doesn't seem like a great option because there are much better cigars to be had for $10 (US) per stick, that you could then cut into coins and stuff into a pipe.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Extremely Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Strong

After Black Rope XX I figured, judging from the reviews, that Brown Rope No. 4 was going to be its younger, weaker, sweeter cousin. Not at all -- it's an entirely different beast. And beast is right. This is strong, nasty stuff, like a cheap cigar; and yet, like Gertrud Stein says of Oakland, there's no there there -- it's quite flavorless, and too much of it. Strong, hot and bready, something to be more endured than enjoyed. The only pleasure I get from this is when the tickling ache in the back of my throat finally goes away. When I want something this strong I'll stick with the intriguingly flavorful Black Rope XX.

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Strong None Detected Extra Full Strong

Lets start with the tin. I was expecting the twist, so that weirdness didn't surprise me, however the tin note did. Very fowl, in a good way. It smelt like a fine cigar. Very intriguing.

Now to pack it, I first cut medallions with a cigar cutter and put some of the looser stuff on top to light. I found that just stuffing the medallions in and lighting that works better. It did light well and smoke fair the entire time. Which was a long time with this blend.

The flavor was incredible. A lot like a cigar. Nothing like I have had before. I could see how it could be a bit much for someone who smoke just aromatics and such. The room note was reminiscent of the tin. Very cigar like, with a strong Virginia sweetness.

The strength was pretty high and I enjoyed it. It's not something I could smoke all day. But I sure would. Four stars, would like to try the other ropes they have,

Pipe Used: AKB Smooth Freehand Meerchaum

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

SecretAgentMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SecretAgentMan (27)
Very Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This came in a medium brown rope about 6" long with medium-brown highlights in the standard SG tin. Moving aside the white paper, I cut a 1" piece off with scissors, and cut the piece into rings, then each ring into quarters for rubbing out. I ended up with a few large pieces and some chopped leaf. I pulled the large pieces out into stringier shapes. The tobacco has a very low, deep aroma of nicotine with ketchup. I let it dry out for 15 minutes and started smoking in an MM General.

This was a strong nicotine with ketchup and sulphur notes. The smoke was thick, opaque grey. The entire tobacco burned in the pipe leaving some fine grey ash. It's as strong as Irish Flake, but much less cordial: This tobacco demands attention like a big drunk beating his fist on the bar. The nicotine strength is right there at the beginning, increasing in the first five minutes and then remaining level throughout the smoke.

This tobacco is strong and simple with enough flavor to avoid boring. Smoke a bowl and pretend you're camping by your Noorduyn Norseman, wearing trusted bush gear from Filson, waiting to fly out the hunting party the next morning. It's that kind of tobacco.

Pipe Used: MM General

Age When Smoked: 15 minutes out of the tin.

Extremely Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A delicious natural rope, slow to burn. Yes, the N is on the high side, but fortunately I have some small pipes to smoke it in. When I want a larger bowl, I just mix in a little Prince Albert. A good introduction to ropes or if you want a fairly unflavored smoke.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)
Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Alright, so my first rope tobacco. Here we go.

I'm generally a fan of medium strength tobaccos, but for some reason I've lately been buying the strong stuff. I guess I like to experiment.

I opened up the tin and was greeted with a handsome roll of tobacco. Smells nice - earthy, leathery and of course, quite strong. But it's no bullshit, straight up tobacco.

Cut a few coins with a sharp knife, shredded them up, and packed my smallest pipe. Took a few relights to get it going but once it did it was fine.

Very, very strong. Makes 1792 Flake seem like candy in comparison. Take it slow and easy with this one, as even with a small bowl I felt the nicotine hit quite well.

The flavor is pretty one dimensional though. It's just tobacco, and as the bowl progresses it doesn't really develop into something overly interesting.

I would not buy another tin. It just has far too much nicotine to be enjoyed by me. Though I'm sure some people will love it.

fraxinus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fraxinus (1)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Strong

I have one pipe, a meerschaum. I'm a tradesman who drives, on average, an hour and half to my first job of the day. I smoke strong tobacco to stay awake. I've been smoking Irish Flake for this purpose and love it. My first bowl is at 4:30AM.

Using this site, I have been experimenting with other tobaccos to see if I can find others I like. I purchased this based on its strength.

I tastes like a cheap cigar and I hated it. My pipe tasted awful for days afterwards too. It is strong, but I cannot stand the taste so I have not smoked a second bowl.

I usually do not smoke at all on the weekends because my wife does not appreciate me disappearing outside to smoke long enough to finish a bowl.

This weekend I decided to cut a piece off to chew and thought it was great. The taste was natural and the nicotine kicked in within three minutes.

I'd recommend it for a chew but not a smoke. I probably won't use it much as I don't usually chew but will use it on the weekends so the tin doesn't go to waste. I may even order more for chewing on the weekends.

JackSparrow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JackSparrow (14)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

First of all I have to say that this can't be my definitive rating because it's based on half a tin smoke…anyway can be enough for some first impressions! Rope is really fascinating and old style, quality is at the top(it's a SG!!), but I sincerely have to say that I couldn't find much more than a big N load, enough to satisfy me after just half a of little narrow bowl…and I love strong stuff like Irish Flake and 1792 Flake!!! I felt like chrunching a big spoon of dirty and dusty earth..... I cut the rope into thin slices and let them dry for a while. Depending on drying time I tasted two different tobaccos: - Short drying time: earthy strong taste, with some woody sweetish notes in the background, but very hard to keep lit - Longer drying time: no taste and aroma detectable, only a big N punch. In any case not so easy to keep lit. In both cases it's a real N Leviathan! I'll try more but till now it did not impress me, nothing special!

UPDATE: after smoking a whole tin of this blend I found out some features I could not detect in my first bowls. I got used to its earthy flavor and started to love it... Letting the slices dry half way between the times above the stuff aroma and taste is still stout but more complex, quite easy to keep lit (but sill needs some relights) and pleasant. Some sweetness comes out and N factor is no more overwhelming, but satisying. Pure tobacco good taste....it's getting one of my favorites! I'm craving for it more and more. Upgrade my rating to 4 stars!

UPDATE N.2: absolutely fantastic home flavored with a hint of good rhum. I let it in its tin with just a hint of rhum and wait....simply amazing!!!!

UPDATE N. 3: simply divine 50% BR4 & 50% Robert McConnel Pure Latakia

A bit boring smoked alone, just perfect as part of a blend like the one above!

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (36)
Very Strong None Detected Full Strong

I was reluctant to try this tobacco at first. I had originally purchased a large amount of it for my dad since he has been smoking a pipe longer than I have been alive. I figured it was a unique gift for him since I've never seen him buy rope pipe tobacco but he's a history buff as well. I can certainly see soldiers during the War of 1812 and the Civil War removing this from their possibles bag and cutting off slices to share after an intense battle.

In any case I snipped off a little bit of the rope to try, cut it into coins with a cigar cutter and left it in my "cellar." At first I mixed it 50/50 with Prince Albert just to try and gauge how strong the tobacco truly was. The PA seemed to burn away first and give way to a wonderful, nose tingling smoke. It was hearty in the way beef stew is hearty and filling on a cold winters day. So I figured I might as well try it full bore without any additions. I rubbed out 3 or 4 coins, let it dry for a bit and loaded up my pipe. I was greeted with nothing but tobacco heaven. A full strength smoke that was intensely satisfying but certainly not complex. The closer the bowl got to going out the more the sweetness came to the front. If I puffed a little harder I got the "baking bread" scent and taste that other reviewer have mentioned.

I find this to be a wonderful tobacco. I wouldn't smoke it every day but I certainly find myself wanting to load up a pipe with it a few times a week. My caution is to make sure the kids, dogs, cats and especially the wife are far away. This will curl their hair and they may try to have you tried for cruel and unusual punishment. If your goal is to escape them then this is certainly a deterrent. I also find this the most versatile tobacco in the world. Smoke it in a pipe, chew it or grind it into snuff. If you're into survival and have a "bug out bag" in case of a disaster be sure to have a large supply of this ready to go. It will get you through those tough times ahead. My next quest... to see how well it ages!

eichenlaub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eichenlaub (13)
Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This may be my favorite tobacco ever. While not packing an overwhelming nico hit it certainly gets the job done and leaves one satisfied. The taste reminds me of fresh baked bread, especially when smoked slightly hot. This is the easiest rope i have found to prepare, behaving well even if the slicing is done quickly and not all that evenly so that I pack lots of different sized pieces into the bowl. Still it burns evenly and cooly all the way down with minimal relighting.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

S.G. knows tobacco..........few blenders have been at it as long.The only blend from S.G. that I did not like/love from the first puff was 1792. After 6 months of aging(or my taste changing)I tried it again , and I have developed quite a likng of 1792 also. I tried Black XX Rope, and decided that I really like it, so here I am with Brown Rope #4. I like these 2 blends enough that I just ordered a pound of each (for now) and will be cellaring more. This is for sure a strong blend.....full flavored, nice nicotine kick, burns cool...whats not to like? I could give this three stars, but I know that within a week, or two I will be back on here editing it to four stars. I'll save my time (and yours) and give it the deserved now

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Tin aroma:

Not much tin aroma, but what there is reminds me of bread baking in the oven.

Appearance:

It?s a rope.

First Light:

Peppery, lots of smoke. Hot mouthfeel. A little bitterness.

First third:

Some background sweetness. An incense quality. The pepperiness recedes into the background. Marked Virginia sweetness when exhaled through the nose. The palate tingles. There is a good volume of smoke. The sweetness deepens. I could be wrong, but there?s not even one small hint of Burley or Cavendish here, just Virginias. There?s an orange peel-type bitterness here, not at all unpleasant. The nicotine is making itself known, and I put the pipe down to cool off.

Middle third:

The re-light brings no surprises. The Virginia sweetness is there, weaving its way in and out, along with a nice tang that one expects when smoking fine Virginia tobacs.. The pepper is there, too. There?s nothing floral or soapy about this tobac, but there is a smoky flavor. This isn?t smoky like Latakia or barbeque. It?s just, well, smoke. The sweetness deepens, becoming caramel-like. The nicotine is there, but it?s not overwhelming.

This tobac is burning very well, and the pipe stays cool.

Final third:

The mild, caramel-like sweetness is at the fore now, with the pepper only weaving through occasionally. Exhaling through the nose brings a mild sweetness very like that of Best Brown Flake. There?s not much of that trademark Virginia tang in this third, but the smoky quality still shows up some, mostly as a background note. The nicotine is present, but still not overwhelming. I?m enjoying this tobac very much.

The pipe goes out, and I try relighting, only to find nothing but ash.

Recommendation:

This isn?t like any other Virginia I?ve ever smoked. If Full Virginia Flake is black coffee, this is espresso. Virginia lovers should give this one a go, unless they are overly sensitive to nicotine. English and Balkan lovers might enjoy it as a real change of pace. Those that enjoy uncase Burelys might find something new to enjoy. Aromatic smokers should give it a pass.

This is one very rewarding smoke, and it has made its way into my permanent rotation.

bigblends Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigblends (46)
Overwhelming None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

I bought this because I felt I should try what a majority of the pipe world calls the strongest tobacco around. I was not disappointed ... in the strength. Yes, it's strong. But I also made the mistake of smoking a lot of it in a large pipe.

Tin presentation is nice -- if not funny. Tin aroma was that of fresh cedar and cigar leaf. I used a cigar cutter to knock off some slices, which I then rubbed out fully. Some have suggested leaving the slices intact will deliver more flavor. The light and burn were fine. Where the rope lost me was in the flavor/nicotine ratio.

The nicotine is off the charts, but the flavor is nearly absent for most of the bowl. Top third was plain and boring. The mid-bowl gave what flavor it could, which reminded me of baking a loaf of cinnamon bread inside someone's walk-in cigar humidor. Even then, I had to struggle to find these notes. It was around this time that I noticed the nicotine in a big way. I should have put the pipe down for a few hours, but I pressed on -- determined to find some depth of flavor.

End bowl was as forgettable as the top. By this point, I was feeling the effects of the nicotine. I didn't get the spins; nor did I get sick. I just felt uneasy overall and very lightheaded. I pretty much had to lay down and sleep it off.

I gave this tobacco the "Might try it again, but will not keep it on hand" rating because I still have some left in the tin. I will revisit this rope as long as I have it and try smoking MUCH less of it in a sitting, whether in a large or small pipe. I'll also try leaving it sliced, in case that really does bring out the flavors.

This piece of tobacco's yesteryear was interesting, but there are far better full-bodied smokes out there.

Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

A full strength rope of rich Virginias with bold earthiness, some cigar notes, a little spice, and a mild, natural sweetness with enough creaminess that helps the smoker handle its strength. One dimensional perhaps, but it will satisfy your nicotine craving very easily, so a small to medium size bowl is recommended. Puff slowly, and don't smoke it dry or you'll likely experience some bitterness in the latter quarter of the bowl. Unless you're from the planet Krypton, you'd better eat a full meal first.

beercritic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beercritic (12)
Very Strong Strong Full Tolerable

Coming from cigars, about 4 months. This reminds me of a Honduran cigar, but stronger. As a change of pace from Lat bombs, I'll opt for a Nic bomb. This was my third bowl from my first tin. Wow! I'll hit my Peterson's Perfect Plug more often than this, but I hope to never run out of this wonderful smoke. I also crave Tambolaka on occasion.

Pipe Used: Generic Churchwarden

Age When Smoked: 3 months old

Purchased From: P&C

Very Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Brown #4 seems to be either adored or reviled. I'm going to buck the trend and go straight down the middle. It's got its merits and a few drawbacks, in my opinion.

First of all, Brown #4 isn't half as frightful as some of these reviews make it out to be. It's plain, strong tobacco and nothing more. Apparently that puts some people off.

As far as the nicotine goes, yes you can definitely feel it. I'm a slow smoker so it's never thrown me for a loop, but if you're sensitive to nicotine you might want to approach with caution.

I love ropes and plugs. They offer the pipe smoker complete control over the texture of the tobacco. Brown #4 doesn't feel overly moist. I've tried it rubbed out and cube cut, both straight from the tin and dried out to varying degrees. The main problem I have is that it won't stay lit for me. The only way I've been able to keep it lit is by drying it too much, about 12-14 hours, and when I do that, the taste goes out the window. I'd like to try smoking it as thinly sliced coins but if I can't keep it lit rubbed out or cubed, I doubt coins are going to burn for me.

So that's a huge drawback. I'm willing to admit that part of the problem could be my technique and perhaps I haven't mastered the preparation or discovered the right cut yet. I'll try not to hold that against it, but it's hard to recommend a tobacco that won't burn.

As for taste, this is not a sweet Virginia. It's rugged, strong, and a little bitter. If you're a cigar smoker, think full-strength Nicaraguan. It doesn't taste that much like a cigar but it's got that same hard-hitting flavor profile. Not peppery like a Nicaraguan cigar but kind of sharp. When I'm in the mood for it, I like Brown #4. Especially in the afternoons, which is when I typically start dragging ass. I really wish I could figure out how to smoke it more successfully.

For now, I'll have to rate it 2 stars. Wish there was a way I could give it 2.5 stars. If I figure out a way to prepare it so that it will burn better without having to dry it to a crisp, I'll come back and upgrade it to 3 stars.

Black XX is supposedly the same rope as Brown #4 but stoved darker, which should mellow it out and sweeten it. Not the case. I don't find these two tobaccos to be similar at all (see my review of Black XX). I find it hard to believe that they're related. If Brown #4 is the somewhat plain Jane but curiously beguiling girl next door, then Black XX is her ugly, gap-toothed, slutty little sister.

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

An excellent example of what virginias are capable of. A strong yet mellow, slow burning, bold virginia blend. Taste and aroma of high end cigar tobacco somehow from a virginia. If I wasn't aware of the tobacco content of Brown Rope 4 i would have guessed to was a maduro/conneticut cigar blend. Absolutely amazing what Gawith is capable of doing with virginias. Yet another outstanding Virginia from Samuel Gawith.

Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Finally dared to get myself a tin, and hey, it's better than I thought. The rope is somewhat larger in diametre thant the Black XX, and easier to cut. Needs no drying-out. The tin note is what I'd call spicy, and to myself, pleasing.

So, cutting off slices with a sharp kitchen knife, rubbing a little and then letting dry out for about half an hour before stuffing into a small bowl. Lighting is, as for all ropes (pre-cut into Curlies or not), a little tricky, but experience helps me out. The consistency of the rubbed-out slices is a very long-stranded ribbon.

The taste is mostly consistent, with little variation in there except the occasional, not entirely welcome, whiff of Cigar. Fortunately, that is an occasional thing and not the norm. A few relights might be necessary.

Overall, I find the Brown Rope to be a reasonable smoke for those wanting something strong, but for my personal taste, I prefer the Black XX for its beefier, sweeter and stronger taste and better (again, my personal preference) room note. The taste is nice and dry, and to me, enjoyable, but if you're used to aromatics, this is not for you. If you like a good cigar and want a similar experience from a pipe, you're right on.

Addendum 14-01-22: Smoking this mostly in Missouri Meerschaums right now, and getting a lot more sweetness out of this 'baccy than on the first ten smokes. Still the occasional reminder of a good cigar in there, though. Smoke sloooowly... up-rating to four stars (well, intended 3.5).

Final addendum, 14-02-01: Finally found my favourite tipple to go with this blend; a large Gin and Tonic seems to fit best for me; made with dry gin. Cheers :)

Pipe Used: Jirsa Minor, MMC (various)

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: DanPipe

Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

Not bad, but too plain Jane for me. Might try blending the rest with something else.

onurturker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onurturker (6)
Overwhelming Medium to Strong Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

There is full of nicotine that could not have a pipe smoking.It is a murderer.

tomspeed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomspeed (22)
Extremely Strong Strong Extra Full Very Pleasant

This Lovely Neutral Tobacco But I told you this is really strong i never been smoke something strong like this. 1972 Flake is really medium tobacco next to it

Charlie Allnut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Charlie Allnut (16)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Brown Rope No. 4 is just like any other pipe tobacco, only more so.

mark121863 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mark121863 (5)
Extremely Strong None Detected Extra Full Strong

Brown Rope No.4? WoW! Strong, dirty earthy, and a lung killer. No kidding, the wife ran me out of the back yard.

Save your money and try this: Boil some Hay in Chicken Broth and feed it to your dog. Follow the dog around for a day and collect his “End Trails”. Dry and age it for one year in a mason jar. Smoke in a Water Bong filled with Lamp Oil.

POSITION: 20+ year smoker. I normally like Full English, Virginia, Latakia, some uncased cav blends. I smoke 3–6 pipes a day. No tobacco sales.

Mr. Bentley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Bentley (17)

Adventures in pipe-smoking 101! As of this writing, I've only been smoking a pipe for 2 months. I skipped right over the aromatics (Had tried them 30 years ago as a teen, and they put me off pipe-smoking for decades!) and started out with a few English blends. My next order was of some "strong" tobaccos- including Irish Flake; 1792, and of course, Brown Rope #4. First impressions: The tin note was quite pleasant and interesting- it didn't smell like figs or chocolate, etc.- it smelled like what tobacco should smell like: Tobacco! I chopped some up with a knife and packed it lightly in my Calibresi- it was a bear to light. Those first few puffs were memorable- Whoa! I felt as if I had swallowed tobacco juice! I started hiccuping- and really didn't detect anything too pleasant. I had to put a flame to the pipe with just about every puff I took. I was thinking of just putting the pipe down and trying again later....but I couldn't! I said to myelf "I'll take a few more puffs and then quit". But after every "last puff", I felt compelled to have more! The hiccuping stopped, and after just a few puffs, the tobacco seemed to settle down and mellow out quite nicely. I smoked the whole load (which, IIRC, was about 3/4's of a bowl)....and I still wanted more! The next night, I tried another bowl. Still hiccuping at first...but didn't experience the tobacco juice thing. It didn't seem to have much flavor- but again, I was compelled to keep smoking it. By my third or fourth time smoking this, I was used to it. No hiccups...and I was starting to experience some of it's subtleties and flavor. Brown Rope is still growing on me- having only smoked half a tin, so far. All I can say, is that everyone should give this 'baccy a try- and don't judge it by your first few puffs, or first bowl-full. As other reviewers have stated, persistence pays off with this one, wioth handsome rewards- one just must give it a chance and get acclimated to it. The smoke is rich and full; The taste seems to vary with each bowl-full- but I do get some "cigar taste" (which I like). It did not seem complex or flavorful at first, but the more I smoke it, the more I get from it- you truly must acclimate your palate to it. A very interesting smoke which pays dividends to those who are willing to put a little time and effort into it. I'm now to the point where I can keep most other 'baccies lit for at least half a bowl...but this one still requires a lot of relights- but that's O-K, because when I smoke this, it's not just "something to smoke", but an activity unto itself. As for nicotine content: It definitely has a lot- but quite frankly, I find Irish Flake to have more. Not an everyday smoke, but for when you want something special. I'll definitely be keeping some of this on-hand, always. Can't wait for a cold winter's day...as this will be just the ticket! It just gets better as you go along. After these "strong" tobaccos, I am no longer satisfied with my English blends. This is the real deal! Try it!

UPDATE: Unfortunately, after you get used to this tobacco (which happens very quickly) it kinda loses it's appeal and becomes a little boring. I wish every time I smoked it, it could be like the first few bowls.....but now....now that my tin has aged and I have grown used to #4, it is just a rather flat, bland tobacco :(

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Extremely Strong None Detected Extra Full Very Strong

Wow--great stuff! I love to mix with Sail green for a potent smoke. Not for everyone, but you know what I mean. This is the bhut jolokia of tobaccos...

Bluewood Paul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluewood Paul (4)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Strong

If you want to get the same affect and save some money eat a spoonful of dirt and head butt a brick wall.... this really does smell like a cheap wet cigar and taste about the same and on top of that doesnt stay lit very well even when rubbed out.... not recommended...if you want something really strong and good... i highly recommend irish flake

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (75)
Strong Extremely Mild Extra Full Strong

Love or hate it, this is Thor's Hammer. There's four times more nicotine in this to the nearest competitor (ok, i made that up, but i might be right). Needs some drying out,but dont dry it right out. You'll lose the flavour and just get a roastingly harsh smoke instead.

Up until a year ago i smoked 2-3 packs a day (have finally got away from the evil nails) and have never been able to get enough nicotine, let alone go green in the gills from it. That was of course until it tried this. Like using a sledge hammer on a thumb tack.

Great stuff for the ocassional blast or to scare away annoying people or pets with the caustic smoke. Irish Flake doesnt even come close to this in strength.

I smoke this daily now.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Extremely Strong None Detected Full Strong

Can not give fewer than four stars. It is exactly as advertised. Mine came a little moist and did better after cutting and drying. This is worth the experience, even if you smoke it only once or twice. The infamous nicotine hit came about two-thirds of the way into the bowl. Had to take a break for a few minutes, then puff more slowly.

Very likely, this type of strong rope is the "ship's tobacco" for which Dr. Watson developed a taste on his voyage back from the Afghan War.

TEO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TEO (25)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable

Folks, this one is simply unique. It is strong, beefy, earthy and greets you with a bunch of smoke you feel as if you are down a steam refinery in the early 1900. After all this ain't no joke, really strong but tolerable if you care to puff slowly...but it isn't that easy especially if you don't leave it to dry a little.

Great stuff, indeed, great one if you puff it alone and exceptional if you mean to use it to harden another mixture. I use it even with some of the few aromatics I smoke and it works well, because its earthy full taste doesn't battle with any other flavour. Some floreal scents are present too, as the bowl goes down.

Plus I love the smell and let me say I don't care, just for this one, about room note or people around me. This is simply the Nicotine bomb you'd expect to smoke in a Tim Burton's typical village...

Highly recommended.

risle-lariviere Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
risle-lariviere (33)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I'm using a cigar cutter to slice them thick and cut them in the middle , that's the way i think brings the best out of the rope. Lakeland aftertaste. Sure not for beginners .

LaneCenturion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LaneCenturion (11)
Extremely Strong Strong Extra Full Strong

In my search to find a tobacco a hint stronger than the truly delicious 1792, I came across many claims that the Gawith ropes were truly the end of the line. My friends, they weren't kidding.

I'd read about the No. 4 and the XX, and I went to my local (30 min. drive) tobacconist to request some XX, andI noticed their decent selection of SG tins, including this one. I couldn't resist.

I decided to try some in the car, in a small briar pipe. I was immediately taken aback, as I, like many, have never worked with ropes before. I used a method similar to the "flake" method, but putting the thin leaves into tiny bunches. I opened the tin and was hit with the smell of a choice cut of beef. Yum.

I lit up half a bowl, using matches, and noticed that this stuff is extraordinarily difficult to keep lit if not let to dry for a little while. The first experience was decent, with great flavor and thick, blue smoke.

The next time, however, was different. Having only taken a few good puffs before allowing the bowl to go out, as I had somewhere to be, I returned afterward for the rest. I lit up the now much dryer smoke, with a little more added to the top, and began to puff. This time, it stayed lit wonderfully, and I found myself puffing away, feeling as if I was sitting in a business conference room in the 1940's, the room awash with fragrant pipe smoke, as I puffed freely, not allowing it the chance to simmer down enough to go out.

A few minutes after the bowl was finished, I found myself slumped over the front seats of my car, feeling extremely calm and woozy, but at the same time, feeling as if I had swallowed a concrete block. This was AFTER having a decent-sized breakfast, as well.

Delicious, nostalgic, strong, and to be enjoyed by those who only wish a demon to tame, as does the pipe smoker in all of us.

IrishHare79 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IrishHare79 (4)
Extremely Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Recommended with reservations. This is a STRONG tobacco. I didn't read any reviews before trying this tobacco, so I was plesantly shocked. Packing this was involved and fun. This was my first time with a rope, but I had someone explain it briefly how breaking apart flakes and ropes are similar. Mistake 1- I packed a large pipe(23cm dia. 2 inches deep). Not knowing. Great taste, lit up nicely after letting air dry about 10 mins. Third of the way down I was feeling nice an cozy(should of gotten the hint then), with only one re-light. The taste deepens/thickens about 2/3 down. This is when I should have stopped, but I was enjoying the great taste and I hadn't tried to stand. It went out sometime I don't remember because i was just enjoying looking out watching the cars drive by. Then I tried to stand up, and sat right back down. That was a first for me with pipe tobacco. It was a good woozyness though, not the sick to your stomach feeling. If your looking for something different, or have friends that only smoke strong cigars saying "There's no Pipe tobacco like strong cigars". Have them try this.

gandal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gandal (3)
Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the blend by Samuel Gawith I much love, with Black XX and FVF. If you want a great pipe tobacco, try it!

Durwood Sauls Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Durwood Sauls (8)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I've tried chewing and smoking this one and both offer two different yet similar taste experiences. Although it is classified as an air cured while chewing it I find I taste a large degree of what I'm assuming is a result of fire-curing. The first time I chewed a double coin size slice of this it was like popping the embodiment of a very smokey camp fire in my mouth. I have come to enjoy that aspect though as it is a completely different experience than smoking it.

When smoking I get a hint of what some might consider a "minty" quality, a result again of what I'm assuming is from fire-cured tobacco leaf, or the aging. I don't taste any cigar or cheap cigar qualities except for perhaps the sweetness similar to cigar smoke. But it is a good hearty full bodied smoke, cool as long as you don't over do it, and relatively slow burning.

The only thing chewing and smoking this rope have in common is the nicotine hit. It is a very strong tobacco, and will knock you for a loop if not smoked slowly and deliberately.

I thoroughly enjoy this one. I will have to try it's twin in the G&H Brown (Happy) Bogie. I've read reviews and some people say it's a close match to Peterson's Irish Flake, another strong tobacco that I thoroughly enjoy smoking. I find that Brown No 4 has many of the same qualities as Irish Flake as well. But different enough for when I want a slight change of pace.

January 2011 Update: After letting the turd like rope dry out for several months now in the tin I find this stuff to be amazing! Sweet! Full-bodied! Strong! This is right up there with my favorite non-english (read: latakia) blends. Don't let any other reviews saying this has no flavor, or it tastes like crap fool you, it does not, and perhaps only needs a bit of time and a different state of mind to try. I'll be getting more of this one for sure. One thing I'm finding works quite nice is cutting a slice off about the size of almost two nickels thick, then cutting it some more, tearing off chunks, getting it to about the consistency of a rough ribbon cut, a bit more chunky than some of the C&D ribbon cut blends. I don't discard the outer tobacco as others may have you do either. Simply delicious!

mr.335 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr.335 (20)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

this is an interesting baccy.it tastes like a full bodied cigar...and a good one.pretty strong with no flavores. I highly recommand it for people who like full taste tobaccos with no flavor. I personally dont like aromatic stuff so I highly rate it. DO NOT smoke it with empty stomach and you will be rewarded. great late evening smoke after a full dinner to unwind. WARNING: if you are into aromatics or mild to medium tobaccos give it a pass.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Very Strong

They say rope tobacco is the strongest of them all. And after this one, I believe it. Very heafty, full bodied, harsh, and smoky. Only a little will do. Good to try at least once.

bullet329 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bullet329 (1)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I keep reading reviews of this tobacco that say it taste like a bad cigar. Well I happen to love cigars, and to my palate it does taste like a full bodied cigar, but a good one. In fact this blend reminds me very much of a Flor dominicana double ligero. Hey if you like a fruity, low nicotine smoke, this probably isn't your cup of tea, but for someone like me that thinks big full bodied straight tobacco flavor is a good thing, this is a great smoke.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)

Brown Rope No, 4 is:

1. murderously strong;

2. cool, but full-flavoured to the point of coarseness; has a pronounced cigar taste (which I don't care for);

3. – like twists and ropes generally – tiresome to prepare for the pipe unless you like a lot of foreplay.

There really isn't much more to say. If you enjoy the kind of tobacco that'll blow your head off, this'll do nicely; if you don't, it'll make you fall over and pray for death. I found it rather an ordeal, but I can see that it has sterling qualities. It's a very good example – a classic – of its type, but certainly not for everybody.

Brown Rope No. 4 is the sort of baccy that I always think of as a winter and outdoor smoke (the room note will cost you friends, by the way). It comes quite moist and for that reason doesn't burn without a fair amount of fuss; but for Pete's sake don't dry it, or it'll cremate your tongue and associated parts.

A lot too strong for me, and I really don't go for pipe tobaccos that taste like a cigar; but I recommend it to those who like a fight.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (42)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Very Strong

I keep having conversations with Mr Kendal Brown. On some days he is willing to listen and converse with you in a congenial manner. Other days, he jumps down your throat and berates you, leaving you scared like a child. Either way this is interesting stuff. You know you are smoking tobacco. A MAN'S tobacco. There are no vanilla, caramel, fruit, or flowers to be found in this...at least not by way of added flavoring. I can smoke this in any shape pipe. First I slice a couple coins off the rope, then I dice them rather than rubbing into strands...it seems to help maintain the light. Despite its sometime heavy handed manner, there is great depth to this rope, and everyone finds something different when they smoke it. The only way to know if you like it, is to try it. I rate it at 4 stars, not for its mass appeal, but for its classic, true to history nature. Every pipe smoker needs to try this at some point.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (84)
Very Strong None Detected Full Strong

No poetry here, only prose

but while cutting tobacco with my rasolino knife, I think to miners (often children) who found solace chewing something like this one and a shadow of emotion pass me on the eyes.... But it's only a moment, there is no time for reflection...

No lyricism here, just epic

so I put the feather and I run to clasp my pipe, I'm going to fight a new battle with this dragon.

onehitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onehitter (16)
Medium None Detected Extra Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I think the pal below me sumed this pretty well. But I dont like this turd. If I didnt keep puffin this it seemd to go out rather quickly and this is not something you want to puff n puff n puff so re-lights were plenty and painful. The taste is cigar like but has that taint smell thats in the tin. Over fermented, for me it's like smoking shoe leather. however I did like the smell in my smoke room but Ilike the smell of tobacco.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

Sam Gawith's Brown Rope #4 Finest Kendall Twist seems to be one of a handful of love-it-or-hate-it-blends. At least that's what a quick read of the reviews here seems to suggest. Complaints tend to focus on the overpowering strength, the coarse (even fecal) quality of the flavor, the extra work the tobacco requires to prepare. Praise tends to focus on the same things--the abundant nicotine, the robust flavor, the pleasures of preparing a rope for the pipe. Love it or hate it, it's tough to have neutral feelings about this stuff.

Count me as one who absolutely loves the stuff. I don't know of any more intense, flavorful, pure, occasionally sublime, occasionally brutal experience I can associate with pipe smoking. Sometimes when I smoke this stuff, I feel like I'm on a sort of sacred, drunken jag. My ears buzz, my knees get a little weak, I experience bliss. Other times, every puff feels like a jab to the chin from an angry heavyweight. My ears buzz, my legs feel like string cheese, my brain tells me that man was made to suffer.

This isn't the prettiest tobacco. I've only ordered it in bulk, and when it arrives it looks like a great, coiled thing that might have been released by the Jolly Green Giant a few hours after a big dinner. The aroma is earthy, dirty, cedary, cigar-like. Whenever I break into a new batch of this, I typically section it off in 2-inch chunks and stuff it into jars. When I plan to smoke it, I cut it in half length-wise and then slice little half moon disks that I rub out more by hand. Drying it out to the edge of crispy seems to work best for me. I've found that if this rope isn't sufficiently dry, it produces a steamy, bitter smoke. It DGTs well—which will be a boon to anyone who truly does find the strength here overwhelming.

Regardless of strength-tolerance, I recommend smoking this stuff slowly and contemplatively. The Italians have an expression for some of their bigger, brawnier red wines--vini di meditazione, or "meditation wines." Properly and patiently sipped, I think this rope is as close as I'll ever be to a "meditation tobacco."

A brilliant, immensely enjoyable tobacco.

Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Good God! I won't be buying any more ropes, or if I do, will do so only out of curiosity. They are cool, one must admit. Coconut Twist sounds interesting, but could anyone sense any flavoring over the overwhelming stench of this weed? I just can't do it-just as strong as 1792 if not stronger, and much fouler. I will save the rest as a curio and maybe bring it out if anyone I know who smokes a pipe thinks they've had strong tobacco. Don't go correcting me-I realize there are stronger ones out there, but I won't be sampling them. Actually, I think I could smoke this on a camping trip by the fire. The wood smoke would deaden my senses a bit, the tobacco has a most pronounced "rustic" nature, and I'm sure it would repel (or kill) mosquitoes.

Update: 12-20-09. Smoked a bowl of this for my last pipe of the day. The rope is pretty dry in the tin now. I started the day with Irish Flake, so maybe I was better prepared. This is not so bad if you take it slow. I love the reviewer who thinks this is not as strong as FVF-I do not take issue with him, but rather glory in the plethora of different tastes and opinions found on this website! I can inhale FVF, something I would not try with this weed. This makes a great nightcap, as the nicotine hit gets me ready for bed and satisfies me to the point that I will want no more tobacco until the morning.

1-09-10 I have cased the rest of the tin with dark rum and put it in a mason jar. God knows how it will turn out.

1-20-11 A year later, and I am smoking my cased #4. Can't taste the rum over the overwhelming body of this tobacco, but I like it more now. I may be able to smoke a couple bowls a year of this...

7-27-11 Smoked some in a Jobey Stromboli. This was harsh, I thought, when I bought the tin two years ago. I cased it in rum and put it in a jar more than a year ago, and it has really mellowed. Still, strong stuff, and I have no designs on finishing this one tin anytime soon, but rather will smoke the occasional bowl in this Jobey (my smallest-bowled pipe) to see how time treats it! I can't taste my rum topping at this point, but suspect it had something to do with taming the rough taste out of the tin. Now, it reminds me more of Dark Birdseye.

If I ever wanted to cut down on my tobacco consumption in general, and needed a tobacco that would give me all the nicotine I could possibly want from a couple of thin shavings off of the twist, this would be just the thing. I bet I could get 40 bowls like this out of a tin! Maybe more...

I get nausea (not serious, but nausea nonetheless) from tobaccos like this. They remind me of my limitations as a pipe smoker, but I love the occasional bowl anyway. Brown #4, Coconut Twist, GH Kendal Kentucky and Dark Birdseye, Irish Flake...

I'm pretty high right now...

ripiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ripiper (1)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

When I first tried it a few years ago, I smoked it when my order arrived and found it a bit rough. Put six months, a year, or more on it and it transforms into an amazing blend. Strong on the nic for sure, but a smooth straight virginia with a flavor born from strength. As BriarPatch noted, I also find that it mixes well. One of my favs is about 1 part #4 to 2 or 3 parts FVF - a sweet earthy smoke with a nice strong undercurrent.

#4 is definitely worth your time.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Very Strong Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Love it, I get baked bread, salty, caramel and a hint of floral perfume. Takes ages to dry, I still rate in under Irish Flake in strength though...top stuff.

wildwoodweed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wildwoodweed (4)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Love it or hate it, I do not believe in the middle of the road on this tobacco. My frist small group 2 bowl from my 1lb. bag, strong, WOW what have I got myself into. Second bowl group 5 and I find that for me this tobacco has many different taste going on as the bowl size grows larger. Sweet, salty, cigarish, earthy. I love this tobacco. Get a tin and try it, smoke a few, 3, 4 bowls.

strawalker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
strawalker (14)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Sometimes you just need this stuff. Brown Rope No. 4, should be sliced into coins two or three for a small filtered pipe. Rub out the coins and let them dry 15 or so minutes and load your pipe very loosely a little goes a long way, this is very strong tobacco. I usually have at least three or four relights no matter how carefully I pack the pipe. The aroma is reminiscent of rotting apples and burnt toast. The strong, full flavored smoke gently fills your mouth with sweet rich, nicotine soaked, tobacco lusciousness. I can't recommend you try this enough it's just so satisfying, from slicing of the coins with your trusty pocket knife, to rubbing it out and letting it dry, to getting the heater going, it's a total tobacco experience that's a must.

murp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
murp (2)
Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Unnoticeable

I choose a most interesting tobacco for my first review.

Yes it resembles poo, yes it can be a headache to rip apart, and yes it's way moist, especially when new but ... this tobac kicks butt, at all levels. Has a very deep, earthy, noncloying sweetness. Delivers the vitamin N in spades, if you don't like nicotine, lots of it, you will not like this. As a reforming smoker of unfiltered Camels, I love it; there probably doesn't exist a pipe tobacco I'd find "overwhelming", hence "extremely strong". I am completely insensitive to room note, so "unnoticeable".

Biggest gripe is the moistness, rip some apart and air it out as long as you like before smoking. Alternatively, buy a can, open it, try it, feel so-so about it, then let it sit for like 6 months, getting nice and dry - I don't mean a Denver afternoon, I mean Egyptian parchment. It will still be sweet, it will still be strong, and will be no hassle to bust up and smoke.

This stuff will put hair on your wife's chest. That's a big plus for me, but perhaps not for everyone. If Old Gowrie is a beautiful young child, Brown Rope #4 is a grizzled old man.

Very Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

Well...this stuff smelled great in the bag, packed well after taking it completely apart, didn't want to play around with coins. I let it dry for about 45 minutes and then bagged it until after eating dinner. Adjounring to my car, with the heat on...lol...I started to climb the rope.

The tobacco lit well and produced a good volume of smoke. The aroma from the bowl reminded me of caramelized onions...something I have smelled before in their bracken flake. There was no sweetness to this bowl whatsoever. Though it was a very strong tasting tobacco, it was not harsh. It reminded me somewhat of Peterson's Irish Flake but without the soapiness. The nicotine content was considerable and I didn't quite finish the bowl...had a slight tickle in the back of my throat and felt some very mild, transient nausea...cleared up in 5 minutes though.

Over all the smoking qualities were good but the flavor was singular and even more disappointingly, it just wasn't to my liking. I think I'll fall back to a more flavorful, and milder smoke that I really enjoy...this was too close to overwhelming for me.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Very Strong None Detected Full Strong

How to describe the brown turd coming from the tin? A rope of brown virginias wrapped in Kentucky (italian Ky- a pamphlet says - the same used for Toscano cigars). It's something of a kind, just rensembles Irish Flake due to the involved ingredients and the great strength they both deliver. My BR#4 (simply Brown No. 4 in the tin sold i Italy; subtitle is" Finest Kendal Twist") has been staying a long while in the open tin, sometimes I paid it a visit, and often it was not the right moment... it needs full commitment, stomach... and wife far enough from you. As long as it was young very very difficult to keep lit, regardless how thin the discs. Now it's dried out the right amount, and I still get half. Cutting the discs the wrapper separated from the inner twist, so that I can alternate in the bowl (now smoking it in a group 4 Dunhill County Bulldog) some ribbons of wrapper (Ky) to a disc of twist (Va). Doing so the smoke - always long lasting, clean and cool - alternates the faintly bitter cigarish note of the Ky and the faintly sweet notes of Va's, which is a very interesting experience to the palate and the nostrils as well. The body is absolutely remarkable and deeply satisfying. BR#4 deserves 4 full stars

MPAA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MPAA (2)
Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Overwhelming

This is something not everyone will like, however, the way I find it - it is smooth and rich; but one must be patient - as time consuming as it is to prepare this tobacco - you mustn't lose your patience until you finish the bowl because although this one doesn't need to be re-lit constantly, it seems the flavour will change quite a bit if you don't tamp out and start over every few puffs. It burns to a very fine ash. The room note is like a breakfast of bacon. I taste a very rich citrus flavour as I smoke it. I recommend this for experienced smokers.

sprangalang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sprangalang (4)
Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I love this tobacco. When I first saw rope tobacco I was amazed, had no idea. I guess we are fortunate to have the internet to learn about things. So this is real tobacco. It smells strong in the tin, and looks, well, kind of strange at first. If it's too damp, you must dry it some, or it might torture you. For a while I was drying it to the extreme, lately not so much. I suggest cutting some and rubbing before drying. If you dry it under a lamp or in the microwave, it will exude a delicious sweet aroma. If you dry it a lot, it burns easier, maybe the whole bowl in a few lights. Lately, I slice some very thin coins or wedges, and toss them in a rectangular tin for travel. I simply stuff some in a small bowl, air pocket style. I need more re-lights, but I smoke it very slow. A small bowl will last me hours. It packs a nice nicotine punch, and has a rather strong flavor, though very natural. I like it because it does satisfy with several puffs, so I can set my pipe down to get some work done. It does remind me of a cigar, I think that's one thing I like about it. I notice a tingle in the nose, and a slightly sweet flavor, but with hints of pepper and some pungent notes. I also detect a very slight Lakeland essence. It becomes quite potent towards the bottom of the bowl, but is also somehow smoother. It burns to a fine white ash that is very dry and clean. I just bought another pound for good keeping, even though I've hardly dented the first pound. I made a bit of snuff from it, and it is delicious. My wife is not fond of the room-note, but I get away with it. If you like a solid, straight smoke, you should give it a try.

LtMac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LtMac (21)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I was gifted a tin of this with a pipe I bought. After everything I had read about Brown Rope Number 4, I was prepared to be knocked for a loop by the nicotene. I don't know if it is because I have dipped Copenhagen fine cut moist snuff for years or if I have a naturally high tolerance to nicotene, but the nicotene whallop didn't happen. In fact, I've never gotten it from a pipe tobacco at all.

I prepared Brown rope Number 4 by using a razor blade to slice off thin "coins" from the rope, then rubbed them out and let them sit on a paper plate under a ceiling fan for about thirty minutes to dry. I noticed a peppery mouth feel upon lighting, which may have been the tobacco or may have been the nicotene. Either way, it was not unpleasant. The taste was a full pure tobacco taste, and it did remind me somewhat of smoking a cigar. I smoked most of the tin, but still have a couple of pipefulls of tobacco left. It was a good tobacco, and I would recommend it for someone seeking a strong tobacco with pure taste. However, I won't purchase it again (or any rope tobacco for that matter). There is just too much preparation involved in smoking a bowl for me, I would rather choose another good tobacco that I can just load and light my pipe.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

scatology /sca·tol·o·gy/ (skah-tol´ah-je) 1. study and analysis of feces, as for diagnosis.

If it looks like scat, and smells like scat...it must BE scat. I have no knowledge whatsoever on whether it tastes like scat.

It looks like something my Rottweiler leaves in the back pasture. The only thing missing is the steam rising in the morning chill. Similar scent.

Sliced a few coins with my trusty Ginzsu, rubbed out and dried thoroughly. Lightly loaded a cob, fired it up. Thick, noxious clouds of white smoke that caused the cat herd to haul ass for fresh air, and me to ponder "why am I wasting my time smoking tobacco that reminds me of something I stepped in?" I threw the cob and turd in the Weber kettle, closed the lid and hoped nobody showed up for a BBQ.

Diagnosis: Feces. Therapeutic Regimen: Glenfiddich Gargle, repeat as needed for relief of symptoms

Croaker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Croaker (13)
Strong None Detected Full Extra Strong

Brown Rope #4 is a twisted rope maybe a half inch thick. One must substantially cut, rub and possibly re-cut to transform the rope into something combustible. After all the work, the tobacco still doesn?t burn well! Brown Rope #4 has a sharp and pungent fire-cured Virginian taste. It has strong flavor but doesn?t easily produce the clouds of smoke one might call "full bodied"; moreover, it tastes very unpleasant when abused even if it doesn't bite the tongue. The room note is as acrid as anything I?ve ever smoked. I didn?t detect a really serious nicotine hit. Brown Rope's no lightweight, but it's far from the strongest tobacco I?ve smoked: certainly not as strong as Peterson?s Irish Flake for example.

I got this tobacco out a sense of curiosity and nostalgia. I feel adventurous to smoke this out of a clay pipe as an 18th century colonist or old tar might have. I?m happy I tried it. If you like this I'd recommend Gawith?s Brown Irish Twist: I found it more mellow flavored and less temperamental.

BriarFire~ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarFire~ (24)
Very Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

This is my favorite rope,taste is all natural with a very nice subdued sweetness,I like to cut thin coins and rub out fully to obtain long strands,then use the Frank method to pack.When at the proper moisture level this is a one match smoke that never bites and smokes cool,the last part of the bowl is the best,smooth creamy sweet and dry.Comments on the room note are always "Wow, that smells potent" Nicotine content is high but not overwhelming.One thing I find unusual is the ash is always jet black,looks like charcoal when your done.Go slow if your worried about the nico-buzz.

The Skunk Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Skunk Man (1)
Strong Mild Full Pleasant

This is one of my all day tobaccoes. The rope has the appearance of cigar leaf wrapped upon itself, and is of high quality.

I find that the taste of this tobacco depends a deal on the shape of the bowl from which it is smoked. I find that an apple shaped bowl offers a much sweeter flavour than say a dublin which will offer a more spicey flavour.

The smoke is creamy and thick. No tongue bite whatever, and a great tobaccoe for the ex-cigarette smoker.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Very Pleasant

Flavor: Pure Virginia but not the type of Virginia we are used to. Very strong and somewhat reminiscent of a cigar. The flavor changes depending on how you prepare it. Cutting small thin coins, rubbing them, and letting them dry for about an hour usually mellows it out. Try this in a corn cob pipe first because it will definetely leave a ghost.

Complexity: Not a lot of complexity. Very consistent throughout the bowl.

Aroma: Pungent Virginia with a hint of cigar smoke. It will be very enjoyable for those who like stinky pungent tobacco.

Tin Aroma: Strange, somewhat earthy and cigarish. Obviously smells of Virginia but it is definetely way more pungent than, say, Virginia flakes.

Room note: Well, it depends. If you, like me, enjoy the smell of burning tobacco then you'll love the room note. It's somewhat cigarish.

Burning characteristics: Although it doesn't burn hot it does burn a bit fast. You could cut thicker coins but it changes the flavor. Burns dry and to the bottom.

Cut/Looks/Moisture content: Comes in a rope, somewhat inconvenient to prepare but not a big deal since it's not something I'd smoke every day. Moisture content is fine if you plan on buying a 2 Oz. tin and smoke it over a period of 2 or 3 months, otherwise I'd say it's too moist.

Overall: This is different from what I'm used to. It isn't for the faint of heart since the flavor is very full and even spicy. Not something I'd smoke every day. I enjoy it every couple of days or so.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Very Strong Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Hmmm...this is a difficult one to review. Probably its the number of years I've smoked a pipe, but I am rarely affected by the nicotine rushes these days lol....having said that, this is a strong smoking cigar like flavoured tobacco. First time I bought it, it came straight from Sam Gawith in a plastic bag and resembled nothing more than a raggedy bent cigar, albeit about a foot long! It has a strong, cigar like smell, not particularly pleasant to be honest. First few times I smoked it, I didn't really enjoy it; there didn't seem to be anything there other than dark pungent tobacco. No sweetness, no interesting flavour, just a hot smack in the mouth and a lingering after taste. Partly cos I bought a bloody great amount of the stuff and not wanting to waste it, I persisted; and now its the tobacco I keep in my pouch in my pocket. Strange that, how things can creep up on you. Bit like the first few times you drank english bitter as a lad...it tasted pretty nasty, but you stuck at it so as to be one of the lads, and then one day you suddenly found it was the only beer worth drinking. Soooo, I give Brown Rope 3 stars cos you might have to persist at it, but in the end you just could enjoy it rather a lot. But it'll never be the only tobacco worth smoking.

smokinj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokinj (19)
Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

good for blending a weaker tobacco and thats about it for me!

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (32)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

Having enjoyed GH Sliced Brown Twist, I wanted to give this a try and found it to be pretty similar in character. I feel the Sliced Brown is stronger but that could be because this being a rope and having some moisture I can control the cut and burning rate depending on how much I dry it beforehand. I don't let it get as dry as the Sliced Brown so it burns cooler and slower. Anyway you slice it this it is a potent smoke. A side benefit of it is that it seems to have a somewhat repellent effect on mosquitoes (and most other life forms). It should be sufficient to satisfy the nicotine cravings of just about anyone, but I haven't had any difficulties with overdosing as I utilize a small briar pipe and go slowly. The taste is of unadulterated tobacco, with a slight natural sweetness. It doesn't bite me at all, either. I think anyone could learn to like this if one keeps in mind that this is a concentrated product best enjoyed slowly and in small quantities.

Joey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joey (9)
Extremely Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Take note...a friend of mine who has smoked illegal types of substances for years tried this one evening while we were out at a local hang out and said he was swearing off that stuff because of the way this bacca made him feel! LOL!

There is only one way to describe this...even with a very full stomach, it will knock your d#%K right in the dirt. The first time I tried it was in a smallish pipe because I had at that time recently tried the 1792 and was expecting to be toasted. Boy was I right. To me it has a great sweet taste of the Virginias that SG uses in all the blends I have tried by them and everyone that has been around me says it smells good. It leaves only a fine ash in the bottom of the bowl and burns very dry. However, I can not express to you enough how STRONG this is. And this is coming to you from someone that likes XX Black Rope!

I obtained this in an already sliced configuration so I don't know how it is fresh sliced off the rope. However, I have tried Irish flake and can say that this is much stronger for sure. One night after a long hard day I smoked two bowls in a row...as I fell softly asleep I had to wonder what I was thinking...I was surprised I woke up the next day...

So, if you are wanting something STRONG this is for you, but do be wise and go with a small pipe...

The_Rover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The_Rover (8)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

The "nose note" on this tobacco is about as mild as it gets. If you're looking for an all natural tobacco kindof smoke then this is it. The nicotine is strong but not enough to turn you green. I do recommend cutting off very fine slices from the rope and teasing them out to smoke. This will ensure that you don't have to do too much re-lighting. Enjoy! RF

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (41)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

I'm enjoying a bowl of this wonderfull weed as I type this review..

Upon opening the tin I was greeted with a wonderfull natural tobacco aroma and 2 pieces of rope.

Packing: Being that this is a rope it will require some special preperations. I usually take a cigar cutter and cut off some coins. Once sliced, simply rub out the coins to desired consistency. Fill up the pipe using your usual method. This rope may seem a tad moist, however, that doesn't seem to affect its burning properties.

Lighting: This one may take a few lights to get underway..oh well..matches are cheap. :)

Smoking: mmm..This stuff is great. A strong, full, natural tobacco taste. Smokes smooth & cool. Puff it up if you wish..there's no bite. I don't find much variation throughout the bowl..just a consistent natural, creamy smoke. Depending on your prep method you'll probably find yourself re-lighting more then usual..no big deal imo. DGT's well also.

Finish: Smokes cleanly & dry all the way to the bottom. No bitter ending. Nice & smooth..just like the rest of the bowl. Ash is almost completely white.

In my opinion this is a keeper..I see myself buying a pound or so for the cellar and a few tins for use now. 4 of 4 Thanks Sam G. !!

ken_mays Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ken_mays (8)
Overwhelming None Detected Very Full Strong

I purchased a few inches of "The Devil's Umbilical Cord" almost ten years ago. Back then, it had a slight incense-like scent of floral casing, and smoking it brought it out even more. Not unpleasant, but it wasn't what I was looking for.

My first attempts at smoking it resulted in an unpleasantly strong nicotine rush. I was only able to get through about a quarter bowl in my smallest Dunhill before the room began to sway. A friend who was brave enough to tackle it turned positively green and has sworn never to touch it again.

The rope sat untouched for years until I finally worked up my courage and decided to see if age had tamed it. I filled my pipe with partially rubbed out slices. I found that the first few puffs brought to mind a strong cigar such as the Opus X. My mouth was soon tingling with a peppery flavor, and so far I'm liking it. About a quarter of the way down, the nicotine starts to kick in. The tobacco burns well, resulting in a fine gray ash. The flavor is dark, spicy, and the incense smell and taste is noticeably and thankfully absent. Tongue bite is also nonexistent. Smoke is copious and resembles a full bodied cigar more than any pipe tobacco. I'm a fast puffer and I had to make a conscious effort to pace myself.

I made it halfway through the pipe before I ran out of time. I think I could have finished the bowl without ill effects if I smoked it slowly enough.

I believe it would be no problem for a tobacco chewer or cigarette smoker, but for an occasional smoker like me, it is strong medicine. It's a tobacco that I'd love to explore more, but its strength is a detriment and gets in the way of enjoying it.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)
Overwhelming Very Mild Overwhelming Overwhelming

Inquisitor and Lois Kelly have said it all. I wish I had deferred to their evaluations instead of the others on these pages.

To be fair, if you can tolerate the strength of this tobacco, you may find a winner. But I suspect you will be in the minority.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I expected this to be stronger than the black rope form SG. I surmised that the extra cooking the black rope went through would drive off more nicotine and harshness, too.

Nope, Brown Rope #4 is milder to my taste, though it is not mild at all. Still, it is tolerable if you like nicotine in large doses. The good tobacco flavor makes this worth a go.

I get the taste of Lapsang Souchong tea smoking this, probably from fire-cured leaf. Whatever the curing method, it is smokey, full of flavor, and no where as harsh on the mouth and throat as the black rope I previously reviewed once medical assitance was provided.

I let the moisture reduce almost entirely, but still leaving pliable strands after cutting off chunks with a cigar cutter. Crumbled and loaded into a Missouri Meerschaum.

Two stars because I can realistically give others only a mild nudge to try it. If Dunhill tobaccos give you a buzz or make you whoosey, pass on rope tobaccos altogether. Interesting, but unworthy of poetry or limmericks.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Ok. let me try to be orderly about this.. . . . . First, Strength. Full Virginia Flake gives me a much bigger bang of nicotine. So does Dunhill 965, at least recently. To my grey matter, this is equal in strength to Balkan Sobranie, maybe a little less.

Flavoring, this is the unscented, the U/S.

Room Note. Not too sure. I don't smell it while I smoke it and it doesn't stain the room. My wife says it's not so good.

Taste is cigar-like. It does not taste like a cigar, but has the body and range of flavor of a good cigar. Not a great cigar, but a good one. And that is, in a pipe, a very Full flavor.

I recommend this because it is a good smoke. And, to speak well of the dead again, Brown rope reminds me of Balkan Sobranie. Doesn't taste a bit like it, but the two do share a campfire storytelling sort of soul. Tastes like smoke and a head full of night sky. Gotta go feed the kids, now. Smoke it if you got it.

shakenbake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
shakenbake (5)
Overwhelming None Detected Extra Full Strong

Not for the faint-hearted, or the fast puffer! Best enjoyed after a heavy meal, and DO NOT drive or operate any dangerous machinery.

This is a unique experience in smoking a natural tobacco. I have smoked it on occasion, usually in a small pipe, but once in a medium sized bowl. Cut the rope as fine as you can (maybe a razor would help?), stack it into the bowl and rub out a bit of it at the top of your bowl before lighting. Puff it slowly!

It is somewhat difficult to keep lit. However, with practce and perseverence, it can be done. Relighting does not seem to diminish the strength or flavour.

When I smoked it last, and because I was feeling a bit sleepy (it was both the tobacco and the lateness of the hour), I left the bowl for DGT. When I picked up the bowl the next evening, I noticed that the flavour and strength had mellowed out and become more enjoyable!

Will time mellow the rope? Something to look forward to!

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)
Very Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Brown Rope is a very unique smoke. I'm not discounting the wonderful reviews good and bad, but this of course is a very subjective endeavor and very personal indeed.

I don't find the strength objectionable since I smoke it in a small pipe when I want a very strong smoke. Perhaps with a great Port wine or after a big meal. A little goes a long way. I smoke it slowly with small puffs and find it to be a bit more complex than the majority have indicated. It's not something that I would ever load into a big pipe though nor do I ever smoke the real strong stuff that way for both taste bud preservation and the nicotine.

The only way I smoke it is by slicing the rope into thin coins and then gently rubbing them out coarsely, which is quite easy. I pack it gently with a firm final tamp. My experience is that it requires some relighting even with light rhythmic puffing. Nonetheless, it never lets me down. I always know exactly when to reach for it; and more importantly, when not to reach for it.

Cheers, VC

Overwhelming Extremely Mild Full Strong

Brutal, or even stronger than that. If you want to challenge your senses to an arm-wrestling contest, that's what you should choose. It's very tricky to prepare and very difficult to keep it going, be careful to smoke it in a small pipe and smoke it with a good amount of food in your belly, unless you want to collapse within the first third of the bowl.

purpleronald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
purpleronald (16)
Very Strong Mild Full Very Strong

Nicotine? Well it's strong, but smoke it appropriatly in moderation in the right pipe. I also like to drink very strong coffee in a small cup as opposed to very weak coffee in a big cup. This tobacco burns slowly and can be difficult to light - but once started ,it's very nice! It tastes earthy and has a natural fragrence that reminds me of the stables near a horsetrack. In fact, the only time I have ever smoked this wonderful tobacco in the house has been when my wife has gone out of town for a day or two...but it's such a good smoke...I have thought about encouraging my wife to take more trips - and more often! I merely jest...but it's a good smoke. A pretty girl is wonderful, but a well-manicured tobacco like this - is indeed a pleasant smoke! If only I could convince my wife to take up the habit ie. I have a utopian vision of us sitting together by a fire sharing a nice bowl of Brown No.4...but alas I awake myself and realise I was only dreaming! If this tobacco was a beverage , it would be a fine 20 year old malt whiskey. It is meant to be smoked slowly and it is meant to be savoured; otherwise you will miss its purpose in life. It's not something I smoke frequently...but when I do - I enjoy it!

Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Strong

Wow! Strong stuff. The rope has a tightly packed cigar-like look to it. I cut into thin coins and layered into a very small bowled pipe. Very cigar-like in the richness of the smoke. Not like a cigar in taste. It actually has a very good flavor to me, but it is so full of flavor you must go very easy. It is hard to keep lit using the stacked coin method but I would be afraid to cut it any finer. I will update this review after a few more bouts with this powerfull smoke. I have to recuperate first!

LoisKelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoisKelly (55)
Overwhelming None Detected Extra Full Overwhelming

Lacking the time and inclination to create a new level of vitriol worthy of this abomination, I will simply cut and paste my comments regarding Gawith Hoggarth's equally repugnant Black Irish Twist, with the added note that "Taste: Extra Full" should actually read "Taste: Extra Foul."

Gluttons for punishment, delight!

=============

I know that we are not supposed to comment on the reviews of others, so I hope no one takes offense at what I'm about to say. I had to scour the data base to come up with the most ghastly comments ascribed to any tobacco on this site, for certainly this blend deserves no less a description.

The esteemed Mr. Eulenberg, whose educated palate and prose make him one of the wonders of this site, described Dunhill's Royal Yacht as possessing "all the flavourful charm and sweet redolence of slightly gangrenous horse meat". I would suggest that he sample this abomination. By comparison, Royal Yacht would make a worthy wedding present to a dear friend.

It's a big world, and there is room for all manner of styles and tastes. Yet I cannot for a moment imagine anyone enjoying this. It is downright brutal in its assault on the senses, and brings shame to our gentle art.

I'll describe it nonetheless. An oily, pitch black rope, only slightly foul smelling, it brings nothing but nicotine to the table. The world of wine has Thunderbird, and, well, we have this. Shredding the tough leaves into a manageable form is a chore unrewarded with anything closely resembling smoking pleasure. It looks like used cigar butts, and probably tastes about the same.

The anti-smoking zealots should use this as exhibit A.

Surely there must be uses for such a product. Perhaps the Brits used it to force the evacuation of landing crafts at Normandy. I know I'd rather face enemy fire than this. It may also make a good noose.

I have to go and salt my pipe now, as well as every other pipe in my house, and possibly the tri-state area. Someone should salt the earth where they grow this stuff, as well.

=========Finally! I have found an appropriate application for this foul weed. It's, it's..............Halloween!

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Very Strong

While 1792 is my Holy Grail of tobaccos, Brown Rope #4 is an old standby. I love the straightforward earthy flavors. Brown #4 is a no-nonsense tobacco; beginners...beware. However, if you love a strong earthy cigar and a fine scotch whiskey, give this rope a try.

UPDATE: October 2004. After a couple more years smoking this wonderful tobacco, it seems to have reached beyond the "One of my favorites..." category; it's one of the best tobaccos out there. Now, be careful comparing Brown Rope #4's aroma to other tobaccos with a more standard "pipe-like" aroma. Keep an open mind; this rope's aroma doesn't fool around with any artificial flavorings or fruit extracts, etc. but just give's one an honest to goodness strong natural smoke. It provides another aspect to consider when defining the wonderful art of pipe smoking.

Samuel Gawith has done a wonderful job with this tobacco.

Collezionista Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Collezionista (59)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Overpowering? Perhaps for some. Flavorless? Not true at all, unless the potency of this excellent tobacco has rendered the faculties of some of the above reviewers inoperative.

There is a refreshingly woody taste to this tobacco that intrigues me and keeps me coming back for more. It reminds me of the smell of freshly stripped Cedar bark in its incense-like qualities. I've found that some of the best tobacco is subtle in flavor, and SG Brown Rope #4 is a great example of this. While it may not be as obvious or multifaceted as some more accessible blends, there is an immense depth to this tobacco, with many layers of smokiness, spiciness and woodiness present or absent at any given time. I attribute this to the interplay between the wrapper and the varieties of Virginia leaf present in the rope.

I've never been one to agree with the critics of "empire" leaf, I find that they have a unique, if subdued, character that makes them just as rewarding to the smoker as their esteemed American cousins. This 'Finest Kendal Twist' is a most enjoyable composition of these dark-fired Virginas; one that will amply reward those with the patience and constitution to sit back and examine this noble weed's less obvious treasures, which are indeed many.

Rating: 8.5/10

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I like to think of this rope as an after dinner affair. Yes, it is strong in the nicotine department, hence, slooow puffing is recommended,(IMHO). I find it easy to keep going after a false-light and a tamp. It does have a cigar-like note, although not in the way a Macunudo might, more, like a Te-Amo, (a little rough around the edges that is).

I cut this rope into thin slices then rub several out to assist in the lighting. As an ending note, this is not a tobacco I would puff on an empty stomach.

Aureliano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aureliano (5)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

I love this tobacco! This is a tobacco that I smoke by itself infrequently. when I need a good shot of something strong after a long day and/or big meal this is extremely satisfying. It is rather strong however, and may be an acquired taste for some.

I mostly smoke this layered in with other blends. I just smoked this with Cornell and Diehl "Winchester" and it hit the spot. It can overwhelm the blend rather than enhance it so I use it sparingly when blending. I've also blended this with some aromatics to kick them up and I haven't been disappointed! It's taste isn't as interesting as 1792 Flake (which is great too!) but I actually prefer it as a blend enhancer.

I find the Gawith tobaccos to be more difficult to smoke than C&D and other more traditional blends, but it is very much worth it. I have matured as a smoker a great deal by trying these blends. If you are looking for something strong and a bit different than the norm, give these a try. Be warned though; it is a rich smoke in nearly every sense of the word.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

I stray into ropes when my patate has tired of "ordinary" flakes or mixtures. Brown Rope #4 is a wakeup call for the tastebuds and the respiratory system. I find it a touch more agressive than the darker ropes, but entirely enjoyable if given proper care. However, unlike the black ropes, this one has no sweetish room note, rather it tends to cause a mass exodus, not entirely a bad thing as I enjoy solitude at times. If nothing alse, it is neat to experience yesteryear with a pipe tobacco. As Sarge says, "smoke it slow".

Zach Spier Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zach Spier (1)
Extremely Strong None Detected Extra Full Strong

Very strong, but complex. For somebody with a mouth made of iron, this blend would reward repeated smoking. That person is not me. I think I'm going to cut and crumble up my rope, combine it 1:2 with McClelland #5100 Red Cake and let it age a few months. That should smoothen it out.

Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

This tobacco was quite a surprise. Not at all the horrible experience that I was led to believe it was going to be. The tobacco is very strong in the nicotine department; in fact, it is stronger than Royal Yacht, the tobacco I use for a set point when measuring strength. It has no bite however, and has a very enjoyable taste. The burning characteristics weren't the greatest and it needed quite a few relights. I have to say though that I enjoyed it very much. This may be a virginia, but the flavor is unique to itself. If I didn't know better I would have thought that a floral casing had been used, but I believe that this is just the tobacco itself. Very rich and hearty, this is the perfect compromise when you can't decide between a fine, dark, maduro cigar or a pipe full of pleasure!

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Overwhelming Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

Remember the old movies where the prisoner was allowed a last cigarette before the firing squad shot him? I would ask for a cigarette made of this stuff, so I would be unconscious when the bullets hit. Of course, if they missed me, I'd be gagging unpleasantly during re-load.

This is brutally strong, nastily-scented stuff. A few of the stoutest pipesters might like this, but the strength is so overpowering that the tobacco flavor is undetectable. Smoke in the tiniest bowl you own if you must try it - and remember, I warned you.

KEF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KEF (13)
Extremely Strong Medium Medium to Full Strong

As you might have guessed from the other reviews, this is strong tobacco. I first tried it in a group 5 dunhill chimney and got about half way down before I had to leave to get something to eat. That said, I've really come to like this rope. More often than not I'll mix it with a sweeter virginia ribbon cut, like Dunhill's Apertif, which produces a very nice smokeable blend. I cut it with a cigar cutter into about 1/4 inch slices, then break it up. The outer wrapper comes apart into leaves, but the middle breaks into wonderful little taste chunks. If it is mixed you know when you've hit one while smoking a bowl. If smoked straight it does give me the back of the throat "tickle" from the nicotine; the aromatic version of this rope is a bit smoother (see that review). Taste stays pretty much the same throughout the bowl. Very little moisture. Does not DGT well at all. Very convenient to carry - cut off an inch or so and you're good to go. All said, I like it, but rarely smoke it straight. 7 of 10. - Kelly

Albion1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albion1956 (41)
Strong Strong Full Strong

This tobacco being akin to all of Samuel Gawith's rope means a fare share of strenght. A larger size diameter means it will farther than a pigtail. A deeply brown color, a tightly woven mixture of quality tobacco's, processed in an olde fashioned method. This tobacco, after slicing, I break up for a smoother smoke. Lighting brings to the senses a mixture of Virginia's and other dark tobaccos. Charring process is easily passed and then it's showtime. The tobacco will make your head spin if smoked to fast, so just sit back and enjoy. I cannot overemphasize this or other ropes, in reference to strenght. Smoking down the bowl remains the same, and obviously toward the bottom the intensity increases. This is a well done tobacco, not like a steak, but similar in that it's a full, and pronounced tobacco.

Govangogh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Govangogh (6)
Overwhelming None Detected Very Full Very Strong

This Tobacco is one of my all time favorites. It is a very sinister looking rope tobacco from England. And it is one of the most powerful tobaccos that I know of. Very high in Nicotine, yet has absolutely no tounge bite at all. The tobacco is dark fired Tanzanian and Zimbabwe which are from my understanding forms of Virginia, grown in South-East Africa. These Tobaccos share little in common with their American cousins. Not tangy at all but more cigar-like in body. If I inhale this Tobacco more than once or twice I always get the Hiccups,which are always cured by taking a drink of something like water.The flavor is very full and it seems to do something to the back of my palette that reminds me of the satisfaction a fine cigar brings.This is similar to 1792 but without the tonquin flavor. Brown# 4 rope is serious tobacco. It can be ground with a mortar and pestal when dry to make snuff. I have done this and good, powerful snuff it is!. You can also put it on top of a weak blend to add strength. I highly recommend Brown# 4 Rope. Arnold Smith