A Virginia and perique twist hand rolled, then hand sliced. A sweet natural Virginia taste takes centre stage when lit with the perique, giving a spicy undertone to the flavour.

BrandSamuel Gawith
CutCurly Cut
Strength
Taste

JimInks (2028)

Some liken this to the old VaPer Three Nuns, but there are many differences, so I’ll review this for its own merits, and forgo the comparison. The Virginias are bright, red and perhaps a smidgeon of black stoved, which would account for a minor stewed fruit taste. The others provide citrus, a very mild grassiness, sweet dark fruit with a touch of tanginess, and hint of spice. Some of those characteristics, like the grass and citrus, are subdued by the deep sweetness of the Virginias. The perique essentially underscores the Virginias throughout the smoke in a supporting role with a few raisin and date notes along with a mild spiciness. The strength is medium while the taste is just past that. The nic-hit is not far from medium. The coins are rough cut, and there some loose ribbon present as well. It’s moist out of the tin, and depending upon your preference, you may consider a slight dry time. I did not do that as I prefer some moisture in my tobacco. Burns a little slow if not dried, requiring some relights, but it doesn’t leave much dampness in the bowl, so it can be burned to ash. The flavors remain consistent from start to finish with no bite. The after taste lingers just a bit. Has a pleasant room note. Can easily be an all day smoke. Three and a half stars out of four only because there are VaPers with more complexity, and this lacks just a little of the depth that several four star VaPers have. For those who want only a mild to moderate dose of perique, it’s an easy four star blend.

Update: 5-27-2017. I detect a floral note that was not present in the earlier tin I had smoked. It is akin to the essence of Lakeland, but I have noticed this particular note in some G&H Virginias, and as the two companies have merged, it may be the Virginia varietal was changed. Or perhaps, as many of us have observed, the Lakeland essence in the factory may have lightly seeped into this mixture as it has in other G&H products. I lean toward it being the tobacco, but I can't say that for certain.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

Samuel Gawith-Cabbies Mixture. Fantastic!

I wasn't too sure what the blends appearance would be like, Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls maybe? No, it looks like one of the Mac Baren roll cakes. It's not as perfectly organised in the tin as Dunhill's De Luxe but a mix of more rugged slices of twist.

It's moist but not as damp as many Sam G' blends, a short period of airing time is all that's required.

The flavour of this I enjoy very much. It's nowhere near as spicy as many blends with Perique in can be. It gives a gentle peppery note but it doesn't seem to have that sharpness I often get from VaPers.

This burns great. To be fair, it was easily ignited too.

Nicotine? Quite strong, not too strong but still above medium.

This is a very natural tasting blend. There's no undertones of added sweetness etc., it's a more of a mellow VaPer.

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Kinsale XL 12

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (75)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Pretty curls with light, reddish brown and black threads...

Smell is utterly different than St. Jame's or another Va/Per that smells of jam, molasses or pot pourri. It's reminiscent of old uninteresting black tea. I use four curls, I shred them, dry them for a few minutes and light in my first pipe ever dedicated to Va/Pers.

Again here, I thought I'd have hints of St. Jame's, but boy was I wrong. The first puffs are strongly peppery with a taste of grilled aubergines ! Maybe some bell peppers too ? I love it. Perique's presence is strong here. The virginias' role here is to lightly sweeten, soften and round the taste. At around half the bowl, enjoyable slightly bitter and vanilla like nunances develop. No significant difference at the end of the bowl. No Lakeland aromas detected in this blend.

Not many issues lighting and keeping the pipe lit in the beginning. Afterwards, the pipe stays lit, the burning is slow and even. At times I puffed a tad stronger to keep the combustion going.

I find this mélange better than St. Jame's Flake and I salute Samuel Gawith's efforts on this particular blend.

Cabbie's mixture is now one of my favourite Vapers.

Pipe Used: Jean Nicolas Straight Billiard

I popped the tin and took a whiff - nope, the smell was not inviting to me. I pulled out a wad and nope, the tobacco was not ready to smoke as it was too wet. Would someone please invent a blow dryer made specifically for tobacco?

After a couple of hours in the smoke filled air of my home office, I deemed the leaf ready to burn. And it did burn well. The Perique is very noticeable, but the quality Virginia base played right alongside the peppery leaf beautifully. Not particularly strong, but not limp wristed either. A Lakeland VaPer that will present something different for Virginia/Perique fans. I've had the pleasure of smoking a lot of fine VaPer blends over the years and Cabbie's Mixture does fit into the mix, especially due to its aging qualities. This stuff is really good!

Pipestud

Cabbie’s greets the nose with a wonderful smell of stewed fruit. The coins, although rougher, are about the same size as can be found in Three Nuns although the blends have very little in common. As with most of the SG Virginia blends, there is too much moisture for me to smoke right out of the tin. However, it’s not as moist as Best Brown or St James Flake. The Perique is noticeable but not overpowering. The sweetness of the Virginia's is more pronounced in the later stages of each bowl. There are some high notes, but less than I had expected. Cabbie’s offers some spice too. There’s no bite, even when pushed and I found myself enjoying the depth of flavor during the second half of each bowl more than the first half although both were quite good. I struggled a bit with whether or not this is a three or four star blend for me personally. I think it’s a smidgen under four right now, but there is no doubt in my mind that this will be a big four stars all the way after some time in the cellar. Congrats to SG on an exciting new blend that really expands their Virginia offerings!

Ayepuffin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ayepuffin (1)

A new release from S Gawith and in my favourite "roll cut" was right up my alley and a couple of tins were duly bought .

The aroma similar to FVF but earthier , almost musky . Appearance like Three Nuns or Mac B's Roll Cake but more moist and not so tightly packed . Packed the bowl very loosely then progressively tighter until quite firm at the top . Lit surprisingly well and stayed lit until near the end , smoked very well despite being so moist in the tin .

Wow ! this is a beautiful smoke ; sweet , pungent , rich and tasty . I can't really fault it . Virginia fans will enjoy it's sweet , hay-like base , while the added Perique gives an earthy richness that separates it from FVF or BBF . For me , more flavoursome than Three Nuns , a more natural sweetness and complexity than Mac B's very fine roll cut offerings . Perhaps a better comparison would be with G&H's Curly Cut which I have not yet sampled .

It's a winner for me !

Pipe Used: various Peterson briars

Age When Smoked: newly released

Purchased From: online UK

This tin was a gift from a friend. He told me he left it open for a while to dry a little. I tried some as soon as I got it, and it was still too damp. It stayed in the tin waiting for the fullness of time and once it got leathery, I started cramming coins in a pot and turning them to ash. I did not rub these out, and I found this packing method worked pretty well. It burned without unusual need for relights and was a medium-slow smoke. Aftertaste is good and lingers.

The Virginias present as yellow and red. This is a pleasant combination of hay, mild citrus and a darker sweet, heavy fruit. This is a very tasty combination of Virginias with a bias to the yellow in terms of the flavor. The taste is medium and trends up toward the end of the bowl without ever getting ashy or harsh.

The perique may contribute to the dark, heavy fruit, and it is well integrated in the blend with just a little spicy edge. It is more evident when puffed. There is the distinctive perique tingle when exhaled through the nose but not enough to irritate my throat after a couple of bowls in a row.

This one is very easy to recommend. It is not something I will buy except as an occasional treat due to the cost per ounce, but it is very good and I think it is something everyone interested in VaPer's should try.

This is like two different smokes in the same bowl. Starts off very figgy and peppery and seems a bit out of balance with too much Per and not enough Va. As the bowl progresses, however, the Virginias start to show their influence in a wonderful dark fruity sweetness that continues to build until the halfway point at which the overall flavor is sublime. The second half of each bowl is about as good as a VaPer gets. Sweet, fruity, and spicy. Very well rounded with about an equal amount of high and low notes. Heaven in a bowl. Always takes a few matches to get going, maybe because I haven't tried rubbing this out yet. I do dry this for a couple of hours. Burns well once started. Smokes the same in briar, cob or clay. Great stuff.

Medium in body. Medium to full in taste. Can't detect any added flavorings.

Pipe Used: Ropp Dublin, MM Mark Twain, MF #4

M.Smolensky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Smolensky (6)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought several tins of this, in anticipation of enjoying it from previous reviews here on Cabbie's Mixture. I smoked one tin, and did enjoy it very much. The tobacco was very nice, and there was a piquant taste to it, I guess from the Perique. Then, part way into the second tin, I got hit with the famous/infamous Lakeland floral/tonquin taste. To me, it was suddenly pure soap in my mouth, and I hate that taste. I have seen pictures of the Gawith factory online, and see the ancient two hundred year old plus machines caked in tobacco from years past. The place looks like a dump, and it could be that they have never cleaned their tobacco making equipment since they got it in 1792, They may sweep their floor, but otherwise the place is a mess. My guess is that when they apply the soap to the other tobaccos, it cannot help but spread the soap where it was not intended to go, because there is no cleaning up, and no where else for it to go, but onto other tobacco. Cabbie's Mixture is not supposed to have any flavoring added to it, but I got enough of their soap in my tobacco, to quit this blend. So sorry, cause I started to like it, and still have some left over.

Pipe Used: Ser Jacopo

Age When Smoked: A few months

Similar Blends: Other Gawith tobaccos with soap added intentionally..

The Norfolk Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Norfolk Pipe (1)

This is a wonderful tobacco that yields a delicious smoke. I'm generally one for English and Balkan mixtures, but this is a rich and nuanced Virginia and Perique mixture that I will certainly buy again.

In the tin, the tobacco is dark and presented in a roughly cut coin form. It has an appetising scent, and - in my tin anyway - is ready to burn from the off. And very well it burns too, leaving a fine white ash. The Perique is well balanced and its gentle piquancy sets off cocoa and woody notes nicely. Another reviewer chose the adjective 'earthy' to describe Cabbie's Mixture. I believe he chose well.

Maybe the picture of the hansom cab on the tin has gone to my head, yet somehow this tobacco really does evoke the past for me (although, I must admit, so do other Samuel Gawith blends). I can't yet decide whether it's the pastoral mist of Thomas Hardy's Wessex or the foreboding fog of Dickens' London I'm imagining: either way, Cabbie's Mixture lends itself to meditation.

Samuel Gawith continue to warrant their venerable reputation with this new tobacco. I reckon any lover of Virginia and Perique mixtures will agree. And even if you're a confirmed Oriental and Latakia enthusiast like me, I venture to suggest that you may find enough worth savouring in Cabbie's Mixture to justify procuring a wee stock of the stuff, for those times when a change is just the thing one's pipe and palate require.

A more incautious man than I might offer the opinion that this tobacco will become a quiet classic. I would have sympathy for such an opinion; but for now I will be content to recommend it, most highly.

Pipe Used: Estate Dunhill Half Bent Dublin

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (84)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Cabbies Mixture became in instant favorite. It's got everything I love about Gawith's grade A Virginias with their excellent Perique all wrapped up (literally) into one fine twist. I would love if they offered the uncut twist for sale but I'm fine with their sloppy coins as I usually rub them out regardless. I actually quite like the presentation and the sloppiness of the coins adds to the character of this historical company, it shows that they truly still do everything in small batches and their coins and flakes don't come out perfect like the STG giants. Some of their machinery used was purchased in 1792 (secondhand) and still used to this day! You just can't duplicate that in a warehouse, just imagine how seasoned some of those machines are! Anyone familiar with the quality of tobacco that is produced from this house can easily blind buy this tobacco and I'm certain they will be happy with their purchase. Not much to say about the flavors, everyone knows what to expect from a VaPer and if I tell ya it tastes like a bit of grass with some earthy tones it won't help you any, everyone says that about VA's and it becoming a bit clichéd. I will tell you that I don't think this is redundant if you have St. James Flake in your rotation as I have found plenty of room for both. Be careful with this one as it can sneak up on ya and give ya a big slap of nicotine and that's just another reason I love this so much. I open the tin, rub out the entire contents and give it at least two hours of drying time. After that, I just put it all back in the tin and it's ready to go and easy to lock and load any time I'm in the mood. This is up there with the best of them. Most definitely essential!

Pipe Used: Gamboni, P. Jeppesen and Stanwell.

Similar Blends: Esoterica Tobacciana - Dunbar.

Noctivagant Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noctivagant (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

This is one of my absolute favorite tobaccos and one of the best Virginia/Perique blends around. For me, the interplay between the aged Virginias and the excellent Perique accentuate the plum and fruit that a good example of the latter should have. This, like every Samuel Gawith tobacco I've tried, is really top-notch.

It can do with a considerable amount of drying, and judging by how fast it gets crispy, it can really be seen that SG isn't using any propylene glycol or humectants. I prefer to smoke this tobacco pretty damn dry, often drying it for two hours or more and it really shines when dry and crispy. It still burns slowly and the interplay between the Virginia and Perique is really magnified. This can also be smoked moist, and to me the dominating Virginias really taste of un-aged Royal Yacht (which I believe is a cased Virginia trying to masquerade as a VaPer, I still adore it, though) when straight from the tin.

This isn't a spicy Perique by any means, and the Virginias really dominate, especially the dark Virginias. It has a moderate spice on the retrohale, but really less than most VaPers you'll come across.

I struggle to define that absolute perfection that this tobacco is. It has become my all-day smoke and really caused me to toss aside so many blends that I regularly enjoyed as dailies. It is never harsh on the relight, and in fact, it can shine under such conditions. It has an incredibly consistent flavor throughout the bowl and takes a light easily. I generally rub-out several coins and layer another few whole coins throughout, this to me is the best way to smoke this wonderful blend.

Pipe Used: Dunhill bent billiard, Nording apple,

Purchased From: SmokingPipes

Similar Blends: Royal Yacht.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (172)

Small moist coins of mostly mid brown tobacco with dark and light pieces throughout.

Tin note is very sweet, with honey, caramel, vanilla and molasses notes. There are also spice notes, cinnamon particularly; the aggregate of which suggests bread and pastry. Definitely not an Aromatic or Lakeland, in case that sounds over the top- these are, essentially, natural tobacco conditioning flavours.

Burns well but requires some effort to get going. I did not rub out or dry the baccy and once underway it burns beautifully with minimal attention.

As per the tin note, this tobacco smokes very sweet and has a fair amount of depth as well. The Perique makes itself aware as a plum and pepper sourness, which tends to build as the bowl progresses.

A well made tobacco, complex and interesting enough for contemplative moments.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier

Similar Blends: St James Flake (Cabbies burns better and is a better tobacco imo), GP Fillmore (Fillmore is atm not as nice as Cabbies but has tremendous ripening potential. Again, imo).

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (105)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

At first I was expecting some kind of flake, but then, when I opened the tin, I was very surprised to find out this is rather a spun or twist tobacco sliced up in small little coins with a perique heart right in the middle of it. The tin note has acrid or fermented undertones very similar to Squadron Leader despite the fact there is no latakia in this blend. I have left my tin open in a drawer a couple of days to dry it up as the moist content, as it is customary with all SG's flakes and tobaccos, was rather high. This seems to be a very slow burning tobacco easy to keep lit and get going despite its moist content. I'd say the amount of perique in this blend is rather high and above average, but it does not spoil it. This, in turn, seems to bring cigar leaf undertones the more you progress with your smoke. That is to say perique is the main player here and not so more the Virginia leaf it contains. I cannot detect any casing and the experience seems to be akin to that of an unadulterated tobacco leaf. The only problem I find is that the tobacco leaf seems to be rather fresh, that is, it hasn't been properly aged, so I guess it would benefit from some time off in your cellar. As for the room note just to say there is nothing outstanding about it. Personally, it does not bother me, but your wife might have something to say about it. All and all this is a very good smoke, so I will give it 3 stars.

Edit1 (06/03/2016): this tobacco is better than I thought. I have been smoking it for a week now and it really delivers. The problem though is that it is so different from any other VaPer that I know, but I guess this is why it is so unique. If you smoke this tobacco at a very low pace, it will probably impress you. For a mixture that contains 1/4 parts of perique (that works out at 25%), I am finding it quite balanced. The only thing I'd say is you really need to smoke it in a meerschaum pipe, or a brand new one, to avoid the ghost. I am upgrading this to 4 stars.

Pipe Used: A bent 18mm diameter Moretti freehand

O'Confrère Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
O'Confrère (40)

This batch of Samuel Gawith Cabbie’s Mixture was tinned on Dec. 4th, 2015.

The attraktive oval slices are about 3/4 x 7/8 x 1/16 inches each, and the tobaccos appear darker in slices than when pulled apart into ribbons, at least to my eye. Looks to be golden and red virginias, maybe a bit of lemon. The perique is also apparent with some broader segments of the leaf showing.

The tin aroma is rich, fresh and fruity, perhaps a bit figgy with a faint perique stench somewhere behind. Detect no topping, but am wondering if an aspect of that fruitiness isn’t a slight peachiness from the casing which is often noticeable in Kohlhase & Kopp virginias. This must be a collaboration, but no problem there. It’s mouthwatering and makes one want to dive right in. You might want to wait, though. The slices are deceptively moist and smoke steamily if not allowed some drying time. I prefer to rub them out and let them dry for some time before loading up, which is then no problem and simplifies lighting up.

The flavor development seems to run along the following lines in most of the pipes I’ve smoked: At the first match CM seems lighter than I’d expected. The brighter virginias and the fruitiness promised in the tin aroma show themselves first, followed by perique spiciness. The fruitiness subsides as the flavor becomes peppery, but the first third of the bowl has me wishing for lower notes which darker virginias might have provided. No problem with the burn. The middle third reveals more depth as the virginias become toastier and earthiness emerges from the perique. The final third brings the elements together and offers more earthy darkness (reminiscent of dark chocolate and/or espresso) as the burley takes over. At the very end a surprising virginia sweetness returns. The aftertaste is almost creamy with lighter woody notes lingering. The mouth feeling is unexpectedly clean (and, perhaps, ready for the next pipe). It’s an interesting ride.

And, it’s an interesting addition to the Samuel Gawith offerings. If you’re a SG buff, or if you are interested in VaPers in general, definitely give this one a go! Am not sure how often I well return to CM, but I will be putting some tins back to see how it develops over time. A three star blend for me at the moment, but it may well be a four star blend for you and exactly what you’re looking for.

Pipe Used: Several, all reserved for VaPers

Age When Smoked: about ten weeks

Mesh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mesh (49)

At first, this reminded me a bit of Samuel Gawith's Golden Glow, though with perique, and more strength and body. The first quarter of my first bowl was fairly pedestrian, a bit like how GG feels to me these days. Then the flavour explosions began. As useless as I am at describing tastes, I'll just say that, having gone through most of this first tin, I see no reason for not placing Cabbie's Mixture among the best VA-Pers currently on the market.

For those who enjoy VA-Pers but aren't fans of SG's St James Flake, the latter bears very little resemblance to Cabbie's Mixture, which, to my mind at least, is far more along the lines of blends like Escudo/Dunhill's Navy Rolls (in taste if not in tin note).

As usual with Virginia tobacco, slow sipping brings out the best in Cabbie's Mixture. I'd also recommend smoking it a bit on a moist side - 10-20 minutes dry time out of the tin - a lack of any moisture tending to result in a lack of flavour and harshness with this blend.

Update after the second tin: I don't think anyone has mentioned likewise, but I do detect a very slight Lakeland topping. It's not in the tin note, but in the first few puffs of the bowl, after which it quickly fades away. As a Lakeland fan, it's not a detracting factor for me, and it's barely noticeable in any case.

Sukan7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sukan7 (1)

I'll rate this from a new pipe smoker's point of view - about 5 months into pipe smoking. I started off with the usual Aromatics and then to English. Wasn't too happy with the blends I smoked as none had that "I want this everyday" kind of feel/taste. Then I stumbled on GL Pease's Virginia Cream and liked that very much. Moved on to C&D's Autumn Evening, Peterson's Hyde Park and found these last three blends were more to my taste and preference. The common leaf in these blends - Virginia. As a beginner, I've read that we ought to steer clear from full Virginias and Vapers as they smoke hot. But since I now know that Virginia based blends are my calling, I proceeded to get a tin of Cabbie's Mixture based on the reviews here. The verdict? This is pure bliss for me. Smells of dried stone fruits and very moist to the touch. Dried it out for about 10 minutes. Needs a couple of relights in the beginning but thereafter stays lit throughout. Taste wise it's very fruity at the top but towards the bottom of the bowl it slowly changes to a nutty flavor. My favourite at the moment and it's highly recommended. This is definitely something you can smoke the whole day.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Acrobaleno, Chacom Atlas

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (156)

As I never smoked the old Nuns I can't compare it to them, but if Cabbie's really is similar to the old Three Nuns, I can finally understand what the raving is all about! For a long time I hestitated buying this, because of it's absurd pricing. 16,50€ for a 50g tin...along with the new Three Nuns which have the same price tag, this is the most expensive blend I know of. !

Cracking up the (besides the annoying warning stickers) lovely and old-fashioned tin with an old Cabbie on it revealed some appetizing spun-cuts. I must've been lucky, as my tin has almost all curlys intact. Tin note is bewitching to me. An intensive aroma of stoved- and well-seasoned plums is most noticeable. Fruity-sweet, but with a spicy, almost tangy undertone to it. Unexpectedly rich in spice. A bit of citrusy-sour notes is underscoring the deep spiced-plum scent of the tin note.

Only downside is the insane amount of moisture - like with any Gawith blend. I had a bowlful worth of tobacco laying out for over 12 hours, and it was still too moist to smoke. Leaving the whole tin open for at least 24- better 48(+) will dry it to a acceptable moisture level, so you can open the tin and pack a bowl without having it to dry out for several hours (or even days!) in before enjoying it.

Cabbie's taste is spectacular and well worth the effort of bringing it to a smokeable condition imho! Right away I perceive rich stoved plums, that have a decent spiciness to it. Reminiscent of seasoned and then baked plums. The spice is very peppery and a slightly salty quality is also there. Leaves a tingling, peppery moutfeel. Virginias and Perique are in perfect harmony and the Perique is underscoring the Virginias grassy, citrusy-sweet, bready and fermented fruit notes very well. Medium in strenght and close to being full tastewise.

My tin diddn't have any Lakeland-ish or floral scent nor aroma to it! Guess they got ahold of that problem and finally solved it, as my tin was produced only a few months ago.

An instant, but pretty expensive favorite of mine. That's why I hestitated trying it - I knew this would be up my alley, and I knew it would cost me a whole stack of bills implementing this classic into my rotation. But it's worth every single penny and is a "Top-3 Va/Per" to me.

4/4 stars for a unique Va/Per, with a lot of personality! Give it a go, or you'll miss out on a heavenly tobacco.

Pipe Used: Clay Pipes / Various Briars

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (144)

There are many coin cut Vapers out there, Escudo taking the grand prize for most smokers. Cabbie's Mixture, in turn, is reminiscent of Three Nuns in its small, partially rubbed out coins and VAPER formula. I can't give you a reference on comparisons, having only smoked the newer Three Nuns which is an excellent VaKen.

Out of the tin, the note reminds me of cranberry juice...it is soft and inviting, as are the coins which were too wet upon opening to pull straight from the tin. After settling in a mason jar for a few days, the moisture content was more suitable to light. I love the novelty of shoving the little coins into the bowl and wish there were more curly cut blends like this out there.

I'm terrible with describing flavors. I don't get citrus notes, or stewed fruits, and I'm not sure what kind of Virginias these are, whether they are golden or reds. The blend seems to have a bit of sugar, and the taste is excellent. I suppose there are what you would describe as grassy notes that begin mildly, and as the bowl develops you will find a medium intensity strength that develops into a wonderful meld with the Perique, average in its distribution.

Some have noted a greater strength, but to me, this is perfectly manageable in terms of nicotine. This is easily a favorite that will have to compete with Escudo's in my smoking rotation. I'll maybe revisit this review after Cabbie's is finished and I open a tin of Escudo's.

Pipe Used: Peterson Apple

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Escudo's and other coin Vapers..

Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I love most of MacBaren's Curlies, so of course had to try this one.

On opening the tin, I get a very strong note of tangerines (sorry, this blend is not a "natural"... it has at least a strong citrus topping). The contents is a Curly made from rolled tobacco (as opposed to a true rope, which has been spun). Mind, that has nothing to do with the quality of the end result; just a note on how it has been made.

The individual slices do not show any of the ubiquitous stems one gets in MacBaren's Curlies, so some more care has been taken in preparing the leaf. The curls are bright to medium brown; folding and gently rubbing them works fine for me for stuffing, and lighting is a bit of a problem from a fresh tin: as usual for SG, it's a bit on the moist side. Drying out for half an hour works a charm.

The smoke as such is nice, sweet, very VA forward (and the Perique noted by some reviewers I really cannot make out; the tin sticker does not mention it either). The burn is a little on the hot side, but manageable: this is a pretty much pure, sweet VA, so it'll burn hot. Puff gently. The room note is nicely sweet, and has very little of the cigarette-ish notes of most other VA blends, so that is a nice surprise for me. The tangerine topping does not come through in the flavour for me... well, maybe a little, so it might be a sauce, but if it is, it is tastefully and gently applied.

Overall, this is a very nice blend, not really out there with the top of the lot but pretty close: I miss spice and depth to make this a four-star affair for me. Still, very much recommended for the VA lover.

Pipe Used: db Mayflower, MM cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: DanPipe, Lauenburg, Germany

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Full Virginia Flake, Peterson - Sherlock Holmes, Orlik Tobacco Company A/S - Richmond Navy Cut.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (139)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

I've been mulling over trying this one for while but have been little apprehensive as SG are hardly reputed for their VAPs. Nonetheless, when I popped into my local b&m a couple of weeks ago and saw this sitting so neatly on the shelf, I decided to plump for a tin.

The tin aroma is a mixture of stewed fruits and hay The tobacco itself is a collection of darkly shaded curls that somehow reminded me of the legendary Strang. I think it's safe to say the similarity by and large ends there, though I did pack the pipe in a similar style, gathering up two or three slices and stuffing them vertically into the chamber, it seems to work a treat. This stuff is a little damp so takes a moment or two to light, but compared to a lot of other SG offerings, this almost qualifies as bone dry. The flavour in the first few smokes comes across as light, sweet, stewed fruits developing into a light earthiness towards the bottom of the bowl, with occasional hints of hay popping in. I found, though, that as I progressed down the tin that both flavours became richer and deeper, if less sweet, reaching quite a full satisfying flavour.

This is one of those smokes that is just a simple yet wonderful experience. A previous reviewer mentioned similarities to GH Curly Cut, I'm tempted to concur in some measure, certainly the earthiness appears born of the same extended family, if not the same mother. It almost seems to me the perfect tobacco to be smoking on a dark October night while reading Edgar Allan Poe by candle light with a glass of port to hand. Don't ask me why, it just seems right. I have long held the excellent if different MB Acadian Perique as my in house VAP - the one to keep in stock at all times - but I think it might have found some stiff competition from Cabbie's Mixture, especially as I have just gone and bought another tin of this stuff, something I've not done before after first trying a tobacco. To me, that single act sums up the quality of this tobacco.

Pipe Used: Barling Guinea Grain

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the tin

Purchased From: Cuban Cigar Club

Ian K Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian K (26)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

An interesting one this....being a bit of a Lat lover I recently discovered VaPers in the form of Orliks golden slices and decided to delve deeper in the form of Cabbies Mixture, each bowl I smoke delivers pretty much the same results as I work my way to the bottom starting off quite peppery and overly heavy on the Perique then mellowing to an interesting (there's that word again) and enjoyable smoke once my mouth becomes accustomed to the spiciness. The retro-hale gives a pleasant tingle to the nostrils with an almost latakian smokiness and hay-ess sweetness from the Virginia. Tin note and room note are both pleasant from the off and the medallions burnt well from start to finish. Would I buy another tin? Probably not right away but maybe one to come back to in my journey

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: Smoke King UK

THROATHIT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
THROATHIT (38)

I come to pen my review on this smoke as it was in my pipe at the time. What amazed me was finding it was a more simple mix than I had imagined. I was expecting some Kentucky or burley in the mix as the taste was quite a rich and interesting. So for that reason I have to give it four stars rather than the three I was thinking of.

The tobacco was light brown caramel in colour and packed with ease after some drying time. Lit and smoked with a standard three stage fill without much bother. The perique is obvious but not to dry to the mouth with its pepper taste. The virginias give a taste just as they looks a good sweet caramel which nears creamy at times but never so much as to become sickly. Overall a full but mellow smoke with vitamin N included. The tea like smell of the product unlit is nice but gives only a flicker of what is to come.

A great smoke that will only grow on me.

Pipe Used: Any

Purchased From: g q

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (79)

A very solid, medium-bodied VAPER--NO detractors! Sometimes you're looking for a complex, sumptuous, and fruitful blend and sometimes you're just looking for a good smoke--this one is a good smoke! The tobaccos are well-matched and properly proportioned. Some have mentioned the presence of a ""Lakeland" quality in the tin note and the flavor of the smoke, but for me (since I regularly smoke and enjoy the more heavily scented Lakeland varieties) this feature is very far from obtrusive. I believe that this quality is imparted in the processing method and not through something being added. It does provide a little necessary something.

If you're looking for a tobacco on a cold, rainy night while sitting by the fire this probably isn't it. CM is better suited to walks in the park on a nice, sunny day or for a round of golf. It could be a good choice for the new VAPER smoker.

Cabbie's Mixture is a name that seems to fit--I think you could slide this in your pocket in the morning and smoke it all day without getting weary of it. In my book that makes it a little special. CM is not supremely interesting or complicated and it's not great and wonderful, but it is a straight-forward, honest, reasonably rich, tasty, satisfying, and a quite pleasurable smoke. VAPERs are my "go to" and this one suits my tastes almost to a "T". If I was stuck somewhere with only one tobacco on hand, I don't believe that I would be too disappointed if this was it.

Pipe Used: Best in a Briar, medium to large

OhioTony76 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OhioTony76 (14)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin note, appearance, cut, who cares. This stuff tastes great. The Virginia is soft and sweet. The spice of the perique is not pepper, but more like nutmeg. Let it rest for a couple weeks after you open the tin. Rub it out good, and dry it out well. It's a high maintenance tobacco, but worth it. Update: I love this stuff but the maintenance is just too much. It just won't dry. There is some Lakeland style cassing that keeps it wet. Or too much PG. I can set it out for a hour or more and it's still moist, and it's not a new tin. I would like this a lot more if they used less additives.

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (123)

I was very curius to try this blend due to the reviews.when you crack the tin you see roll cut from virginia and perique mixed with ribbon cut virginias.the smells come more from virginias combining dark fruits,grass and spices.some citruses are there too.the moisture level is higher than needed so some drying time is required for me.packs ok,needs a bit effort to light and some re lights are needed.while smoking the flavours are simple and clear between dark fruits ,grass spices and a hint of citrus.the perique is really on the background almost absent sometimes.the nicotine level is almost medium.burns medium to hot, clear to total ash with a little moisture at the end of the bowl.never bit me even if i went hard.it's an all day smoke though i would prefer a higher dose of perique!

Age When Smoked: Rubed and left it dry for 1/2 hour.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (86)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Lakeland scent alert! I don't know if it is intentional, or just contamination from being processed on tainted equipment. It is very low intensity, so I suspect the latter case -- especially since other reviewers don't even mention it.

That said, it's a tasty 4-star VaPer -- if you can get past the floral scent. This is about at the threshold of my tolerance for floral scents, so I can still enjoy it and feel OK about giving this a somewhat recommended 2-star rating.

initials SG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
initials SG (29)

I think Cabbie's Mixture to be a very enjoyable blend. It is more noble than rough, and quite a friendly smoke. These qualities seem appropriate for the working man's theme of the name and tin art.

The Virginias are primarily a mixture of citrus-y Golden Glow-style brights with lots of more muted and mature reds, and likewise to the first reviewer I also detect just a tiny bit of some deeply matured Virgina that reminds me maybe of a cousin of Brown No. 4. So it has a nice full range of Virgina notes which all come through and evolve to complement the tasty perique, the brights most of all.

It's not too heavy to be an all-day smoke, but I prefer to smoke it in the afternoon and evening.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Oldbelt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oldbelt (7)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Soft coins of VaPer. Smells nice in the tin. Very moist. After a brief dry I loaded my pipe. Grassy, boring. No change in character as the bowl was smoked down. Tasted something strange. Couldn't put my finger on it. Few days later I rubbed some up for another go. Dried it out for 20 min or so. Pure soap taste. Couldn't smoke it. It is nice in presentation and feel but man did they get this wrong. I don't understand the reviews that praise this blend, but to each is own. Don't think I would even pass this full tin along. What a shame.

Pipe Used: Peterson bent dublin

Age When Smoked: New tin

Purchased From: SmokingPipes

Similar Blends: Dove, perhaps ivory with a mild dish detergent thrown in for good measure..

Berzerker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Berzerker (17)

This is my 'go to' tobacco. No bite or harshness, lights and burns easy. Good amount of perique, just right. The tin note has that typical Sam Gawith virginia smell, just wonderful. Smells agricultural, natural and earthy. It tastes the same although can, upon first light and puffs, have a slight soapy taste, that's not in a bad way and generally doesnt last long in any case. This tobacco has the most complexity I've ever experienced in a tobacco. It's just right in all proportions. I love it and there could be some man tears if they ever stopped making this stuff. Cabbies Mixture is the reason I smoke a pipe! It truly is that bloody good. This is the black caviar of all tobaccos.

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (83)

Cabbie's Mixture is a good addition to the Gawith portfolio. It's unique Curly Cut is what initially attracted me to it. Not quite coins of tobacco but more like loose sliced Motzek Strang but smaller.

There is a similar taste profile to other Gawith blends here. It shares the same tangy, earthy, fruity Virginias as FVF and BBF and the rich spicy Perique as St. James Flake. The proportions are interesting here though. The Virginias and Perique wrestle for dominance.

My only complaint here is that it has a tendency to smoke a little hot. No bite but the smoke has some heat. I think age should remedy this.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (64)

This is a mixture that will stand the test of time, in my opinion. The Virginias are of the highest quality and the perique is there for support without taking over the show. My first bowl was not to my liking as I stuffed a few rolled up disks into the bowl, after a little drying time. It was hard to keep lit and the strength was a little too much for my taste. For my second bowl, I used my Cuisinart spice and nut grinder. Three or four one second bursts produced a ribbon cut, which burned beautifully and reduced the strength to medium from full. This is definitely a 3 star blend in my book and worthy of the accolades it has received.

point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (114)

The cut immediately reminds me of the famous Three Nuns, but the flavor is way more impressive, at least than the latest Mac Baren's version. Deep, rich virginia flavor with hay, dark dried fruits with enough perique to give some spiciness without rough edge. It is great from new opened, and I stash some to see how well it ages. Highly recommended!

Granny Smith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Granny Smith (25)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a full bodied virginnia and perique mixture with the sweetness of the virginia being at the forefront. The taste is rustic and I'm sorry if that makes no sense but that's the way I would describe it -a clean taste of the great outdoors. Very creamy with a nice peppery tang in the background that delights the tongue. I think this is one of stronger blends Samuel Gawith have ever produced, and more power to them. This truly is a wonderful smoke with a good dose of Vitamin N.

update - Smoking this blend after the tin has been cellared for six months gives an even tastier smoke. The flavours really come out with a bit of age on the tobacco, and what started off quite excellent becomes an absolutely essential smoke for anyone who liked full flavoured, full bodied blends.

Pipe Used: Big Ben

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (76)

All the other reviews sum up this great tobacco accurately but none mention the presence of a whiff of menthol which I clearly detect, in the smoke as well. So, is it like the old Three Nuns? Virginia and Perique in a cut coin, how could it not be? :)

Pipe Used: various Dunhills

Similar Blends: Three Nuns (original recipe).

Big Train Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Train (50)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This seems something a little new and different in VaPer blends . It is a great looking blend in the tin , cut and color are very inviting . The tin note is interesting and unique , I have not seen anything like this before . The usual high quality of Gawith tobaccos is clear from the start . The smoke might have been one of the most interesting VaPer smokes I have had . I could not make up my mind if it was Virginia forward or Perique forward so skillfully melded were the tobaccos . This is really a perique smoke with sweet Virginia highlights . Amazingly , the tobacco was not too moist to smoke though it still took some care to get it lit . Over all , this is a totally different new tobacco , a skillful blending of high quality tobaccos . I doubt that the cabbies of London ever got to smoke anything this good . 4-6-16 . After smoking an entire tin I now believe this is even better than when first smoked . Cabbie's is a dynamite after dinner smoke that is to be savored . The quality of the tobaccos used here are extraordinary . My compliments to the cook .

jhand45 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jhand45 (12)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I try to avoid new tobacco hype but this one kept coming up as being especially great so I thought I'd give it a try when I found it at a B&M. I wish I hadnt bothered. Not that its bad, but I dont consider it anything special. Nice presentation - the coins are delightful and really easy to work with despite being wet (less than normal SG but still wet). The tin note smells to me of stewed apples. But when lit its just, meh. Its not bad, there's nothing offensive going on, its just... meh.

I've heard it ages well so maybe I'll leave it and do an edited review at some point but for now its not something I'll be returning to.

the_dalai_lama_himself Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the_dalai_lama_himself (39)

Tin held the slightly messy roll cut coins along with some loose ribbon virginias, mostly golden pieces. Starts off pretty smooth, figgy and stewed fruit which evolves quite a bit and is enjoyable. Also some grassiness and citrus.. further spice from the perique, and I get this toasty almost bread like quality which touches on caramel or molasses. What keeps this blend at 3 stars is the floral / soapy like flavors that come in and out during the bowl, which tend to morph into a more enjoyable flavor that would make you swear some type of burley is present... definitely calls for drying time, I enjoy the blend a good VaPer with a nice sweetness but due to the soapiness (that I cannot stand, and an element that is present usually in aromatic blends) I am skeptical and it is not as good as I'd have hoped...

Some coins but most of mine were pretty malformed, which was not a problem since I rub them out anyway. Tin aroma was of grass and dark fruit. Perique-y aroma but not overpowering.

Too wet to smoke fresh out of the tin but not as wet as a lot of SG blends. I did of course smoke it moist and it was typically bland and sour with a weird finish... weird is the best I can come up with. Properly dried (arid but not crunchy), the dark fruit was the star of the show. The Virginias were mostly of a red tang with a bit of citrus. The perique eschewed the pepper characteristics of some VaPers in favor of a sweet fruitiness and perhaps a bit of spice, although that may have come from the Virginias as well. Pretty fair nic hit but not a lot of complexity, although there was some depth. All in all, just not what I've come to expect from Sam Gawith, although it was a fine blend and is recommended. A bit more perique would have done this no harm but if you prefer a moderate amount and a lot of fig-type notes (more bass than high notes here), this one may be for you. And if you don't like your tobacco dry, finish the tin fast or get the tobacco into a ziplock, as it dries quickly if left in the tin.

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (45)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

For me this is the epitome of the Samuel gawith range.

A fantastic straight up virginia and perique roll cut.

Opening the tin a lovely sweet and sour aroma from the Virginias emanates from the tin, then underneath that the spicy foggy tones from the perique greets us and marries together in a beautiful medley.

(For those worried about the "lakeland" essence, do not worry, none is to be found here.)

Easily rubbed out to the smokers preference, which is what I have done to my four tins for jarring purposes.

This does need drying time as trying to light up straight up straight out of the tin I would imagine it is easier trying to set asbestos aflame.

But with some dry time ignition is not an issue.

In smoking all them beautiful aromas from the opening of the tin transfer beautifully to the smoking which makes for a truly mouth watering smoke.

The Virginias are always centre stage with support and slight muscle from the perique. Although strong it is never overwhelming, and the flavours just keep getting better and better, as you go down the bowl there is a more caramelised note and a creamy after taste and Burns down to a fine ash, with minimal fuss.

This is a VaPer to be reckoned with, using perique as spice tobacco, if over done can lead to disaster, and I find less is more, which is the gawith has gone with this. At only 6% perique, it doesn't seem a lot but it is just right. A beautiful smoke and as already has been said this is the epitome of the Sam gawith range, and I dare say an absolute bench mark for those who like this type of tobacco.

Pipe Used: Falcon international with apple bowl.

Purchased From: Mysmokingshop.co.uk

Similar Blends: Orliks Bullseye and the like, although cabbies mixture omits the Cavendish and the coins are a lot small..

Leeboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leeboy (20)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Simply amazing. This is the best VaPer I've tried. I was almost done with SG due to the moisture being a pain in the ass however this can be smoked straight out of the tin which is great. For me this smokes best without any rubbing out. Slight lakeland taste from time to time but I enjoy that and it doesn't distract from the natural tobacco. The perique is just right, bakery sweet VAs, no bite and good Nic hit. I'm on my second tin and think this should have a place in every VaPer lovers rotation.

Bud_Harold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bud_Harold (21)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Dark fruits, citrus, and virginia sweetness abound in this blend. Burns well after some dry time. Love the small coin presentation. Tin note of mint chocolate chip...Very interesting and inviting.

Another gem from Samuel Gawith! Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Wally Frank Huntleigh

Age When Smoked: 6 mos

Purchased From: Smoking pipes .com

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (132)

This is sort of the neglected blend from Gawith. And I think that's too bad. It comes in curly disks, and is medium strength in all regards. The perique is clearly present but not overwhelming. It provides a nice bottom spice, but doesnt take away from the Virginias. Like all Gawith tobaccos the quality is top notch. It bears some comparison...slight...to the old 3 Nuns. But this is a bit more rustic and with a tougher edge to it. It is also comparable to Dunhill Navy Rolls. I really like this blend. It is a good all day tobacco in fact if you like Perique. It is maybe not a classic but I think should age well. A little dry time is advised.

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: Dunnhill Navy Rolls, Paul Olson My Blend Big Coin..

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (74)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I'm a fan of Virginia/Perique blends and I always like to try something new, so Cabbie's Mixture made it's way into my pipe. I bought the 50 oz tin and cracked it open. The aroma was fantastic and was too wet to smoke, as I had figured. My first bowl of Cabbie's was great. It was something new and interesting, however, it got to be a bit of a chore to smoke it after the first few bowls. Cabbie's has the bright notes of Virginia, but much more of the dark Perique. In fact, I would say that it has too much Perique for the amount of Bright Virginia it contains.

Cabbie's is not a bad blend, by any stretch of the imagination. It would be just so much better with less Perique. At least, for my tastes. I'm not one to shy away from Perique, as Bayou Morning is one of my favorites. I just think that there needs to be more balance between, brights and Perique. Bayou Morning contains a good deal of Perique, but the Virginias used are Red and stoved Red. Escudo has brights, but does not contain overwhelming Perique; there's a good bit, but not at Cabbie's levels.

At any rate, Cabbie's Mixture is worth trying. It may be your desert island tobacco. But for me, it just contains too much Perique for the Virginia constituents that are used. I vacillated between 2 and 3 stars, so 2.5 will be the final verdict.

Pipe Used: Peterson 120 Irish Army

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Light Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Light (7)

Nice tin art, tobacco is sliced similar like escudo or deluxe navy rolls but smaller and not as surgical. A bit of organized chaos if you like, but attractive in its own way.

The tin note is not overwhelming and consists mainly of what I can best describe as the smell of: apple cider vinegar, dark rye bread and decomposing leaves. Not unpleasant at all!

The moisture level is just ridiculous! It’s so wet, I don’t deem it even smoke able before leaving it open to air for at least 3 full days. After that it still is moist and as a result difficult to rub out and pack. I had thought this was difficult to light but to my surprise after a false light and 2 more goes, she was on her way. Along the entire smoke I needed 2 more relights.

Initial taste: Mainly hay, oats and a very light natural sweetness in the background, rounded off by a raisiny taste (the perique no doubt). The VA’s are not your typical bright, grassy and lemony but not the full on earthy stuff either. It’s well balanced altogether. The one thing is does not deliver imho. is pepper, even on the retro hale there is no tingle.

Mid bowl: Finally there is a bit of pepper but at the expense of the sweetness which is now starting to disappear while the perique comes to the forefront. Towards the end of the bowl, the taste becomes darker and at times a bit astringent. The ash burns down to a light grey color with only a little dottle left behind.

Throughout the entire smoking experience I was waiting for something to happen. It was all nice, but no WOW factor. The perique is there to provide some body and round out the VA’s. No matter how hard I tried, this will not bite. The room note is all right but again nothing special. No yeastiness or smell of freshly baked bread. This one won’t offend anyone but won’t make you friends either.

All in all, not a bad smoke. It doesn’t deliver the peppery tones of St James or bright Escudo, not the earthy taste of DNR, not the sweetness of Marlin Flake but is positioned squarely in the middle. This is maybe a good starting point for an adventure in Vapers, to venture out from there to what one craves in a smoke (spice, sweetness,…).

Pipe Used: Stanwell dublin 9mm, Gamboni Bo-dog

Purchased From: 4noggins

Theosprey247 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theosprey247 (69)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Good overall blend. Alternating sweet with spiciest, but mostly sweet. The coins rub out easily, or you could fold n stuff it (or if you smoke a large pipi just plop them in). Does require several relights tho even with a dry time of 30 minutes.

Pipe Used: Nording and Peterson bulldog

Age When Smoked: New tin

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

Leaflet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leaflet (2)

Let's keep this short and sweet........Smoked through the tin within a week. Me thinks, this will be a bought at very regular intervals. Need I say more....................

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin

Purchased From: Tobacco shop in soho

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (161)

Fantastic coin cut, but not intended to be nor is a new Three Nuns (original sweeter).

Just grab few coins, rub a little, and puff. Cool and tasty if you like Perique. If no, stop reading.

The Virginia is soft and mild (my guess is medium Virginia Flake or Golden Glow-type). The Perique is not as strong or KFC like as is many heavier vapers. (Nor is this blend as strong as St. James Flake.) However, the star of this blend is no doubt an always present, sometimes spicy with tendrils of pepper, Perique leaf. It dances on top of the lighter Virginia leaf.

I don't find any particular Virginia sweetness that dominates the blend, but its softness allows the Perique to carry its flavor maybe beyond its content. Still it is a little more on the bitter side than sweet side to me (maybe a hint of Latakia?). Maybe some time will adjust that.

It rubs, packs, and burns easy for me. Not hot or wet. Good for several bowls without being bowled over. I smoked a tin and have several in the cellar. The Caviar of blends. Enjoy.

Pipe Used: ashton achievement, max kapps

Age When Smoked: new tin

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Similar Blends: King Wilbur from Bennington, Kingfisher (with burley), and St. James Flake (heavier).

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (180)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice artwork, nice smell of figs and tea and the coins are quite moist. No matter how you smoke it, the first part is a strong Lakeland essence experience as in soapy. By mid bowl, the dominant Virginia is grassy and hay with some pepper and dry prunes from the Perique. Strange as this was advertised as no flavoring, I guess it could be because of bad quality control from SG. The only positive thing is that I only ordered one tin of this.

I don't mind the British flavorings, I even enjoy them from time to time but as far as "natural" tobacco goes, this is a failure. Two stars as advertised as an unflavored tobacco, four stars as a Lakeland aromatic.

KAJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KAJ (8)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Little coarse-cut mini-rolls or 'coins' with a nice level of moistness that could stand a few minutes drying time after being rubbed out. A Va/Perique blend but it seems to have a little something extra... it has a tin aroma like figs or stewed prunes that give a little added fruity sweetness to the spicyness of the perique. Not bad at all.

Pipe Used: Stonehaven