Using the same components and processes as the ever-popular Kendal Dark shag-cut tobacco, Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.'s Kendal Dark Thick Cut is a robust combination of dark-fired and air cured Virginias, sliced into medium ribbons.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended ByGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured ByGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
Packaging
Strength
None Detected, Extremely Mild
Taste

I am a big fan of GH’s Dark Flake so I had to give this a go. The name “Thick Cut” in GH’s Dark Thick Cut is a bit misleading as this is a very thin cut, just above a shag in width with some long stringy pieces. The pouch scent has that somewhat medicinal smell that I associate with unflavored/unscented Gawith Hoggarth blends. Out of the bag it’s too moist for me to smoke without some dry time, but it dries very quickly. As with the flake, it has that typical Lake District flavor but in this case I think it comes from the processing and not a topping. But that’s a guess. For whatever reason, I don’t find this quite as strong as the flake in Lady N, especially when packed a little lightly. With that said, I find it smokes better and cooler with a firmer pack. Unlike the flake, I prefer this in a wider bowl, and it’s especially good in a cob. The dark fired leads the way with an earthy flavor and slightly herbal flavor. There is a very small amount of sweetness from the Virginia. While not very complex, there is more complexity than anticipated. In the end, I don’t find this quite as satisfying as the flake, but still a very good blend for lovers of stronger pure tobacco flavor. I will definitely buy more.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (42)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I agree with SteelCowboy that thick cut may be a misnomer. I compared this side-by-side to Kendal Dark and to me they look the same. If this is thicker it would take CSI to reveal it. It's a great tobacco anyway, as is the regular shag cut. I detect no difference in taste. I am largely a burley aficionado and this fills the bill. Not an untoward amount of nicotine to me: much like Dark Flake, various ropes, 1792, Irish Flake, etc. The only thing that ever gave me sweats was the original Peterson University Flake made for them by Murray in Belfast. And that was in 2002. Maybe I need to get my nervous system checked. Probably too late. Anyway, this is an easy tobacco to pack and to keep lit. Burns dry and doesn't bite. Not overly complex, but a good solid smoke. These comments apply to the Kendal Kentucky and Dark Birdseye as well. I'm not sure if there is a flavoring--maybe just something picked up from proximity to other tobaccos at the factory. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Briars, clay, meerschaum, cob.

Similar Blends: KK and DB..