Beautiful taste and character, a superior medium-bodied Virginias-Orientals blend from northern Scotland.

Notes: The name alone gives an image of misty moors in the north of Scotland. This is a blend of Virginias and Virginia varietals and contains no burley and therefore no Cavendish or other flavoring agents. Oh yes...no Scotch whiskey either, just tobacco. When the E&C range was being developed by Ken McConnell there were virtually no authentic Scottish mixtures being manufactured. Most had some form of casing, and all were blended with burley / Cavendish, an inexpensive filler which Ken assudiously refused to use in his premium tobacco mixtures. As with all the tobaccos in the Elephant & Castle range, tins of "Isle of Skye" were hand blended in the McConnell factory on Barking Road in London, England. They are at least 13 years old.

Information from "The E&C Story" on the Marble Arch Ltd. website: http://www.serjacopo.com/e%26c/E%26C_000.html

BrandElephant & Castle
Blended ByPeter & Robert Siegel
Manufactured ByC.E. McConnell
Blend TypeScottish
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Packaging50g Tin, 250g Foil Bag
Strength
Taste
Mild, Medium
Very Pleasant, Pleasant

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (102)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Somebody here at TR must have been reading my mind—I was about to list this very same tobacco! Why? Because back in the 1980's and early 1990's Isle of Skye was, hands down, my single favorite pipe tobacco. For reasons that were never well explained to me, my tobacconist back in the day had a very difficult time procuring this fabulous stuff, so, I only ever smoked 2 measly tins (I still own one of the tins, it's my most highly prized tin).

Even though my memories of the tobacco itself are nothing but a faint whisper, I'll try to impart the greatness of this baccy in words, nevertheless. It was a lightly colored combo of sweet and fragrant Virginia's that met the eye. The tin note was unlike any other baccy I've ever had, it reminded me of a woman's perfume, yet, this was tobacco alone, there was no topping of any kind—did I say fragrant Virginia's (I honestly don't recall any Perique coming through in this blend)? You bet, the most delicate smelling leaf I've ever come across in all my many years of piping. The taste was relatively light, softly rounded—the tin's scent came through ever so slightly in the taste. For nearly thirty years I've been trying to find another tobacco that duplicates Isle of Skye but I've been unable—it was truly a unique blend! Please, someone, bring it back!

Keep on Piping!

Pipe Used: A Wellington p-lip

Age When Smoked: A 28 year old memory

A smooth as silk Virginia that never wavered from its intent, to offer a soft approach. I note where TRC says Perique was in this one. I had never heard that before and have never tasted it in the 304 tins of Isle of Sky that I've smoked over the years. Just a velvety smooth Virginia flavor that made my palate cry for more every time I smoked a bowl.