Notes: 1792 Flake is a full-strength, mellow tobacco comprising a blend of dark fired Tanzanian leaf. It is Gawith's best selling premium grade flake. It starts as 7 lbs. of hand stripped leaf and goes through a steaming process prior to being pressed. The cake, having been prepared, is wrapped in a select leaf and packed by hand into a 12 inch square. This cake is pressed and left for a minimum of two hours. Then, the pressed cake is placed into a steam press where it is baked at full heat for two to three hours. The baked cake has then taken on 1792's characteristic rich, dark color. Its hardening occurs during cooling. Once the process of cutting the flake and adding a tonquin flavor is carried out, hand wrapping and packing finalizes 1792, making it ready for rubbing into your pipe.

Sold as "Cob Flake" in Europe.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blended BySamuel Gawith
Manufactured BySamuel Gawith
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsKentucky, Virginia
FlavoringTonquin Bean, Whisky
PipesAndCigars.com
Iwan Ries
Strength
Strong
Taste
Full

Strong Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

The tonquin bean is strong and buries the whisky (if it is there), but it won't matter to you if you like tonquin. As strong as this tobacco is, there is a mellowness in the flavor that one may find rather pleasing, which is well contrasted by some earthiness and a hint of spice from the burley and Virginias. Heavily topped, but I can still taste some nutty burley, though the grassy, citrusy and fermented dark fruity Virginias are mostly subdued. Has a strong nicotine to satisfy anybody's craving. Won't bite. You may prefer to dry it a little as it is very moist. It burns very slow and cool with a mostly smooth, very consistent flavor from start to finish. It does need some relights. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl. Has a very pleasant room note. Made for the experienced smoker, it's more of a love/hate product than your average flake.

Very Strong Mild to Medium Extra Full Pleasant

This is one of the most powerful blends I have ever smoked. I knew I was in for a tussle the moment I first lit the stuff. The flavor and power springs forth from the first puff and never lets up. In fact, this blend's strength asserts itself even more as you work your way (slowly please), down the bowl.

I remember the first time I opened a tin of 1792 Flake. The odor was simply foul and made my eyes water. The flake is unique, almost velvety to the touch and it breaks up easily enough and packs the same. It would be smarter to leave it less than fully rubbed because a slower burn is necessary to really appreciate this wonderfully tasty but explosive blend. And choose a small pipe. You don't want to smoke too much at once. The moisture content is heavy and drying is an absolute must before smoking.

The flavor is hard to describe. It is a unique experience to say the least. The Virginia is there as well as something mysterious that I can't put my nicotine stained finger on. It is as fine a smoke as I remember ever having. I just don't want to smoke it again anytime soon. Does that make sense? Probably not until you fire up a bowl.

I'd love to get a dozen or so folks into a slow smoking contest with 1792 Flake as the competition blend. We'd call the contest, "Survivor."

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (71)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

I do not like Samuel Gawith 1792. Please note what I said. I did not write that it was a bad tobacco. I stated that I did not like it. I have tried it twice, with several years in between. In both instances, I had to heavily cut l792 to smoke the tin. Nevertheless, in spite of my personal misgivings, I have given it a two star "somewhat rexcommended" rating.

This is a Virginia and burley blend which has been heat treated to a dark color and pressed into very nice, pliable flakes. I have no problem in loading and lighting, both by jamming the flakes down and by rubbing them out. Samuel Gawith knows how to manufacture a flake.

The nicotine hit of 1792 is almost legendary. Even some of its devotees cannot smoke it on an empty stomach. Smokers who are sensitive to heavy nicotine will want to use only a very small bowled pipe or else avoid it altogether.

The landmark characteristic of 1792 is its heavy tonquin flavoring. It is not the only pipe tobacco which utilizes tonquin, but I know of no other that uses it this copiously. Tonquin is the extract of the tonka bean, and its primary use is as an ingredient of perfumes. It has some similarity to vanilla, although it is not as sweet. It also provides a strong herbal essence, so much that it suggests that oriental tobacco is part of the blend. To the best of my knowledge there is no oriental present, and the herbal quality comes from the tonquin alone. Does tonquin taste awful to me? No. But the amount of it in 1792 is too much for me to enjoy what seems to be very high quality tobacco ingredients.

The two times I have tried it, I had to cut it. I used about one third of either Prince Albert or of McClelland 5100 to each pipeful. The flavor remained in the same ballpark, but the tonquin was notably tamed and I could smoke it and enjoy it.

This is a distinctive pipe tobacco, and it has its faithful fans. Those who enjoy the flowery lakeland blends may well find it to their liking. Others may not find the heavy tonquin to be an overload, as I do. And for those who do find more tonquin than they bargained for, do as i did, and cut it. You will not lose your investment in the tin, and the toned down version may even tickle your fancy.

Clarkus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clarkus (26)
Very Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

After reading all these posts, how could I not try it? Finding out tonquin was the flavoring and Schippers was one of my all time favorites put me over the edge and I ordered a couple of tins.

While it didn't taste anything like what I remember Schippers tasting like, it was really good. I'm not a big Virginia fan, although I'm from Virginia, I found what I like in a tobacco in this one.

It broke up and packed well and I only needed two lights and the burn was good and slow. I do appreciate the advice on strength. I sat on a lounge chair on the patio and just went into a wonderful nicotine high.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (139)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I bought this one about five months ago and am not even half way through the tin yet but I think I am in some position to give a review.

When I first opened the tin, the smell was queer, not sure I could pin it down but seemed to have something "woody" to it. Rubbing out and packing were without issues, the lighting, however, was something else entirely. I wasted half a box of matches on that first bowl just trying to keep it lit and eventually gave up. A couple of attempts on subsequent bowls were abandoned in similar fashion, even when drying a plenty was performed. The taste that I could discern was much the same but the lighting issue was so frustrating that I gave up and slung the remaining weed into a jar and threw it to the back of a cupboard. Over the next few months, I tried the odd bowl with similar results. A couple of weeks ago, though, I dug it out again and chucked it in a pipe to give it another go and was pleasantly surprised to find, after two or three relights, it stayed lit for the rest of the bowl. The flavour was still fantastic, if a little sweeter and thoroughly enjoyable. A couple of more smokes have followed in much the same vein.

I have to say, I have wrestled with how many stars to give this one. That lighting issue upon opening was unforgivable. Although I much prefer to whack a tobacco in the pipe and get stuck in, I get the idea that some offerings do require some drying. This, however, was unforgivable, no tobacco should be so damp, even after drying, that it it requires so many relights, enough to near ruin the tobacco in my view. Yet the flavour is just so nice, probably putting it up there as one of the nicer tobaccos I have smoked, a sheer joy to smoke from this perspective. So here was the quandary, do I give it a 1-star review for the sheer unlightability on first opening? I struggle to recommend to anyone a tobacco that requires five months of aging before it is anything like smokable. Or do I give it four stars? That flavour is just too nice not to recommend to anyone. What about 2 or 3 stars? Well, to me that wouldn't do the review justice in my mind. So here it is, four stars for that cracking flavour with easy rubbing and packing but with one major proviso - age it.

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I find this blend very interesting. The Kentucky and Virginia tobaccos give this blend a strong, mild, sweet backdrop. A solid base for a great blend. The tonquin is where this blend really shines. The tonquin bean adds a very unique, rich, earthy sweetness to this blend. As far as herbal additives in pipe tobacco go tonquin is the easiest to get used to. Its not a flavor too far off from tobacco. It adds almost an oriental tobacco flavor to this blend. Dark, rich, earthy and sweet. Wonderful. 1792 Flake comes in loose flakes tightly packed into the tin that tear apart into perfect packable ribbons. 1792 burns very slow and very cool. A massive nicotine dose lends this blend well to slow relaxed puffing at the end of a long hard day. Very Well done once again Gawith.

Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I am undoubtedly going to torque a few people off with this rating, but I just could not stand this stuff. I actually smoked through four ounces of it bulk over a two year period and was happy to see it finished off last week with a little help from some BB#2. So it is not that I didn't smoke enough or let it dry enough. I did all of that.

It is also not like I don't like strong blends. Irish Flake is in my top two and I think it is even stronger than this. So taking the rating system as it stands the only reason I could see to recommend this is if someone wants to try tonquin. And, I surmise it is the tonquin that is killing this blend to my tastes. This is the only reason I will give this a second star, because there is no way I will be repurchasing it.

To my tastes it tastes like vile industrial waste. My wife told me it smelled like what they put in porta potties when they clean them. Maybe there is some truth to those who claim urinal cakes are in this blend.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (74)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

This is a powerful blend and an excellent example of Tonquin flavoring. The flakes are very rich in flavor, appearance, and aroma. Upon opening the tin I was slapped in the face with an aroma that I've never experienced. I can only describe it as a very strong musky adult type fragrance...Tonquin. The smoke is bold, rich, and tasty. There's no bite and it maintains a sweet nature. This is a very unique flake, strong yet smooth tobacco (the proverbial "good stuff") and Tonquin flavoring.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have read many of the reviews for this and have even smoked a few bowls of the bulk variety and found it to be rich and satisfying. The tonquin flavoring of this tobacco took my breath away and the nicotine hit was staggering you definitely need to be seated for this smoke. Even with these experiences I never added this to my regimen for I have many VA/burly flakes that I enjoyed just as much if not more than 1792. The other day I happened to be rummaging through my cellar offerings only to find a tin of this blend that I dated July 7 of 2005.

I opened the 50g tin and was blown away with the tin note and the rich black almost oily appearance of this tobacco. It was velvety soft to the feel and rubbed out and packed to perfection. Upon the first light it was flavor explosion of liquor and leather almost cigar like. After about a half dozen sips my head was awry in nicotine bliss. "Easy boy" i said to my self and set in for a monumental half hour smoke.

I'm sold and ordered five more tins for aging. By no means is this an all day smoke but certainly a smoke suited to top off a nice meal with a vintage whiskey or brandy. Not for the faint hearted or novice smoker. If you're looking for a Va/burly flake that sets its self apart from all others this is your tobacco.

2/19/15 This blend is even better when mixed 50/50 with a nice burley like Carter Hall, Lane Burley Light, or sutliff bulk. 1792 Flake burns better with burley!

Pipe Used: Dublin

Burn = 10

After Taste = 9

Raw Score = 59

Rated Percentage = 98%

Comment = Smooth, nice Strong Full Body Flavor, high Nicotine content, white ash Burn, this is a wonderful smoke but you better be sitting down when you light-up, because this blend is going to kick your butt, ya it's that strong. But oh boy what a delightfully enjoyable smoke this one is.

Strong Medium to Strong Extra Full Strong

This is one consternating tobacco. Let me say up front that I did not like it. It was tough to keep lit, it was too strong for my taste and the tonquin flavor was objectionable, as was the smell. However, it is definitely a tobacco that is of high quality and it is a fun tobacco to experiment with.

Stoving the tobacco (fancy word for heating it in the microwave) definitely changed its taste, but not necessarily for the better. The tonquin gave way to a heavy-bodied maduro cigar flavor, which I also did not care for. It sort of tasted like a Hoyo de Monterey double maduro robusto with a trace of spoiled egg spilled on it, if that makes any sense (which it probably does not!). A simple drying out of the tobacco for 3 hours worked ok and the tobacco tasted its best after about 3 weeks of sitting around in an unsealed tin. The tonquin was still noticeable but was a bit more subdued. If that is indeed what tonquin tastes like, it's definitely an acquired taste I did not acquire. I'm going to keep some around for blending purposes.

This is something all pipesters should try. There is enough dissension in the ranks that it could be something you'd love. Or it could be something that makes you vomit.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (97)
Extremely Strong Medium to Strong Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

There are legends in the realms of pipe tobacco. Some are bright, happy, comforting legends. Not all legends can be that way. Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake is a dark, weird, scary, brooding legend. You don’t have to experience it if you don’t feel up to it. No one will fault you. At least, no one should.

It’s dark, it’s strange, it’s mean, and it will mess you up if you’re not careful.

Now, when I say it dark, I, mean it literally. The flake is almost black in the tin with streaks of very deep brown. It generally has noticeable granular, crystalline streaks from various ammonias and other such compounds that have been brought out by heavy stoving and subsequent steaming. The smell is deep and weird and rank. Almost animalian: musky and deep. Perhaps that what tonka bean smells like. I don’t know. I don’t have much experience with tonka beans.

You’ll want to rub this out. Really rub it out or it’ll be next to impossible to keep lit. It’s really one of the more stubborn tobaccos I’ve encountered and I generally have no difficulty smoking flakes of various consistencies.

It’s bitter yet smooth throughout the smoke, once you get it lit. It’s almost alarmingly assertive in its flavor onset and development. Think of your first taste of peaty scotch, which I'll assume you have some conception of if you're thinking of smoking this in the first place.

You have a full, deep tobacco taste tingling with the unleashed potential of the heat treated leaf and the assertive nicotine. In true Gawith fashion, the toppings act like invigorating bitters of the Angostura variety or some sort of forgotten herb based tonic of the Victorian era. This isn’t candy or cake, friends.

The nicotine content is difficult to comprehend if you haven’t smoked 1792. Your mouth and nose and sensory capacities fell as though they are under attack. I’m not saying this is a bad thing, but be prepared. Your ears will ring and your throat will tighten and you better damn sure be sitting down at first. You’ll probably come to appreciate it, in the way that people have come to enjoy Greek coffee, but there is an initiation process. I smoke almost constantly and my preferred blends are far from light, but I was unprepared for this, both the first time I smoked through a tin of 1792 many years ago and the time where I decided to give it a whirl again. Have at it, if you are the daring type. It really is the pipe smoking equivalent of bungee jumping.

Pipe Used: Various small, English briars

Very Strong Medium Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Samuel Gawith - 1792 Flake.

Not as wet as is usually the case with Sam' G: moist, but not soaked!

It gives off plumes of thick smoke, without a bite to be had. The toppings are noticeable, with the tonquin being ahead of the whiskey. Due to the thickness of the flakes I find it a better smoke if fully rubbed; when folded and stuffed it takes some igniting and can be a pest to keep lit! The tobaccos taste robust, and not for the faint-hearted!

Nicotine: very strong. Room-note: a heavy weight.

This is a blend for nicotine lovers! But, although I don't pipe for nicotine, it's very well accomplished. Highly recommended:

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: Various

Mochzky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mochzky (8)
Strong Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

I am a longtime R&L Wingfield lover and a flake fancier ever since I started pipe smoking in my early twenties in the late 70s. I often obtained my favourite tobaccos from J.J. Fox. One of my favourites was the flake sold there, a pressed bar tobacco packed in the small rectangular tin the same size of Dunhill flake tin in those days. The tin bears the label of the familiar R&L design, which I believe must be one of Robert Lewis products. Akin to Dunhill flake in quality, however, this flake smelled sweeter and tasted milder, seemed more mature than Dunhill flake. Soon, they stopped selling this flake, at least at J.J.Fox. Ever since, I have been seeking for my legendary flake, even time-slipped through the days when people began to enjoy Internet, my search continued, but to my chagrin I haven't been able to find it out up to this date. Through many compromises and deviations, I found myself an addict to Samuel Gawith's 1792 flake. Is this the one I dreamed of and sought for, after a long journey of my dream flake? No, this is far from it. In every aspect, nothing matches the flake I bought at J.J.Fox. I cannot explain what kind of turn of mind or what kind of perverse deviations of my pipe life made me an intermittent repeater of Sam's 1792 flake. The body odour of “Mr Ugly” as coined by some reviewer … . One idea is that a smoker's taste is vulnerable to change through a vast space of time. Figuratively, the smell of “the armpits of coalminers”, as mentioned somewhere, has joined the league table of my likings ( literally speaking, as I haven't got any acquaintance among coalminers, I have never had the opportunity to smell it in my life and, of course, if I had, I would never wish to do that for the rest of my life). I could not find an appropriate phrase in my word inventory for the scent of S. Gawith's1792. Some say it is ugly but others say flavorful. I think there is a hair's breadth between the two.

Like a fiendishly smoky peat-taste whisky, Gawith's1792 chooses the smokers. If Dunhill Flake, Holger Danske's Royal Navy Flake, Samuel Gawith's flakes such as Golden Glow, Full Virgina can be a textbook standard for VA flakes, Sam's 1792 flake largely deviates from that. Anyone who got bored with the textbook VA, Go for it!

My view on tasting: Slow-burning does not necessarily depend on moisture. Pre-smoking drying out is a must. As usual with most cases, the manufacture's secret skills of cutting and slicing tobaccos also account for pleasant cool smoking. In the light of that, Samuel Gawith's1792 is the work of art, which enables me to play with silky creamy smokes smouldering from the muddy, earthy dead leaves, along with its subtly stinging and tingling sensations on the tongue like the first touch of a hard-core single malt.

The best advice is: Do not spew a lot of smokes all the way through the whole mouth with the open velum that may allow the smokes to freely tingle the nasal path. So, smoke it in a small bowl. Try not to let the smokes get as close as to the velar part near the windpipe because that makes you coughing and even getting sick. It's like swallowing Ardbeg like draft beers, and the result will a hell. I am sober in writing this.

Presentation is a punch, an epihany: The nose delivers a mélange of soap, garam and delectable vernal grass. When light it first, a soapy smell arrogantly asserts itself with a hint of garam cigarette. On the palate, I get a piquant, peppery kick in the tongue, which is enjoyable like a swig of peaty single malt. As to casing, I do not detect whisky topping; tonquin is salient and ubiquitous. The flake does not light very well but retains its original piquancy to the last puff. This flake reminds me of Sam's other range such as Black xx and Brown No.4 ropes. Patience is needed to get it going to the last burn.

Gawith's1792 flake may not fit with anyone ensconcing oneself in the cozy couch in the ultra-hygiene modern life recommended by health fascists. The flake comes from the 19th century England, in which everything was sooty as in Dickens' world, along with a variety of smells of life and horses' dung at every roadside at the low level of public hygiene as some reviewer mentioned adequately. So, changing the mindset is of the essence when you time-travel to enjoy the 1792 flake. I often smoke it with my small Dublin in the mouth, and sometimes it perks me up, other times consoles me, by the time-travel into the 19th century human world.

I put 7 stars in 10 scales. Before meals, this flake punches me in the stomach like a nasty body-blow, so it has never become the tobacco for all-day smoking. What's more, smoke this in a decent bar or in a posh restaurant, I guarantee the staff will ferret you out. And yet, unforgettable, unputtingdownable tobacco I often get back to.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Very Strong Medium Extra Full Extra Strong

This tobacco is strong in both flavor and nicotine content. I am not sensitive to nicotine so I don't get a gurgling stomach or a light head, but a small pipe leaves me satisfied.

Don't listen to the ridiculous claims that this tobacco tastes like manure and smells like the street on England in 1792 with a hint of lumberjack's armpit. That's just hogwash. Another ridiculous claim is that people who smoke this don't smoke it for the taste, again, hogwash.

This tobacco tastes like a strong rope with a very strong cigar character. It's obvious that it is cased, but the Tonka is barely noticeable. Most of what you taste and smell is strong, good ol' fashioned tobacco. Fairly one dimensional, but good, very good.

As many have stated, this tobacco needs drying time, and it is still a pain in the butt to keep lit, but with some practice you can do it. I would ssuggest that, during the first few bowls, you have enough matches handy, or use a lighter.

If you are an aromatic smoker, a newbie pipe smoker, or a 20 year old hipster, this is NOT for you. If you enjoy TOBACCO flavor and can tolerate nicotine reasonably well, you'll love this.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Extremely Strong Mild to Medium Extra Full Tolerable

A very dark flake, fairly fine cut, and a bit moist. The aroma is almost nasty, possibly owing to the fermentation. It rubs out easily to whatever degree you prefer, and is easy to pack. When first lit, there is a blast of spiciness that's hard to describe, (almost like the sweet components of a curry mixture), not unpleasant and soon subsiding to a manageable level. The fullness of the virginia soon becomes apparent, possibly the fullest I have ever tasted. It is also the smoothest and coolest I can recall, just the "low" note of the tobacco, and a small amount of the tonka flavor. It burns best when puffed very slowly, but never got hot, and leaves a clean white ash. The room aroma got positive comments from my wife. In summary, it is probably not going to be a regular smoke for me, but will probably be an occasional treat to come back to periodically.

Calamiti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Calamiti (66)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Dark Fire Cured is my favourite type of tobacco and it was a pleasure to sample this rich, strong and old-fashioned blend. (Old it may be, I'm sure "1792" is not the year when the blend was introduced: they made quite different kinds of pipe tobacco then. I guess it's rather a sort of commemorative name, but I have no sources to prove it).

Liking almost everything about this mighty blend, I tried (as I always do when sampling tobaccos) to verbalise my general impression of 1792 in a single word. The result was confusing as the most exact definition that instantly came to my mind was "sexy" O_O. "Sexy" is not a standard term in tobacco sampling vocabulary so it was really confusing. I kept smoking my way through the rest of the tin and every pipeful did confirm the first impression again and again: yes, it's sexy. Very very sexy. What's wrong with me?..

Finally I understood what the hell was that (I'm proud I didn't need a psychoanalytic couch to find it out). The Tonquin Essence, which this blend is generously sprayed with, in some twisted way recalled my long forgotten subconscious memories about perfumes worn by some sexy girls I knew back in the 1980s. Probably, their perfumes contained Tonquin Essence as well. To this day I've completely forgotten both the perfumes and the girls themselves. And the good old 1792 Flake took care to kindly remind me of them. (I'm lucky to not be old enough to remember what sexy girls smelled like in the 1930s or 1950s. Otherwise, I guess, I'd have quite similar experience with Ennerdale Flake and likes).

1792 is a really good tobacco. It's just me who's got a weird subconscious response to Tonquin. Next time when I want some Dark Fire Cured tobaccos from Samuel Gawith I better crack open my last remaining tin of Bracken Flake or buy some more Lakeland Dark. Both are made of essentially same leaf as 1792 but have zero sexy flavourings.

Recommended.

Similar Blends: Bracken Flake, Lakeland Dark.

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been smoking SG’s 1792 on and off for about four years. There isn’t much to add to the other reviews. If you like hefty dose of tonquin and a nic hit, than this blend is for you. Like just about all SG flakes, it needs to be dried before smoking. As has been mentioned it is a bit earthy and I find an underlying sweetness too, especially with some additional age. As for the strength, I think it is a matter of reference. If you regularly enjoy ropes, you will find this to be medium to strong. If you are coming at it from a different direction, it will be strong to very strong. This is a love or hate type tobacco that offers some complex flavors. 1792 is a dish best served to experienced pipe smokers.

Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

I have been intrigued by this blend for quite some time now. As far as Lakelands go, I am more a fan of G&H as there blending style is more in line with my taste than is with SG but I was curious about 1792. I stopped at the local JR which stocks SG tins.

Opening the tin I was greeted with the typical SG rough cut flake that had some sugar crystal bloom on it. They were of a mostly dark brown leak with some medium brown, but not jet black. The tin aroma was not off putting at all. It reminded me of a cough syrup of my youth which I believe was named Ipsitol. It was not quite the same, but it did rekindle my memory of that preparation. I was quite surprised that the tin aroma was not more pronounced given the description of such in many of the reviews. Upon deep inhalation I almost detected the presence of a dark cherry-like aroma way in the background. As is typical of SG tinned tobaccos, the flakes were moist but not as moist as my experience with Best Brown Flake, so 1792 was smokeable right from the tin. I loaded a bit in a small, slim billiard Dr. Grabow Grand Duke that I reserve for Lakelands and testing new tobaccos. I digress briefly here, but it is worth mentioning that I have just shy of a dozen Dr. Grabow pipes out of a pipe collection of over 150, and NEVER had a bad smoke in any of them. They could use a higher class of rubber in their bits, but their briars have never failed me in 37 years of piping - and from the first bowl. For me, they beat out my expensive Dunhills and other medium to high end pipes by a long mile, and I like to support this American institution for as long as I can!

Although 1792 was smokeable from the tin, there was the need for frequent relights, but it didn't interfere with my enjoyment of this fine blend. The initial taste was similar to Revor Plug but not quite as musty as Revor always is for me. While smoking I said that this wasn't all that strong as compared to Irish Flake, one of my favorites and the strongest tobacco I smoke. However, the strength creeps up on you, but not in a leveling way. It provided a nice buzz is all and this was after consuming a sandwich and cup of coffee. However, I conclude IrF to be stronger by way of comparison. There was a very nice chocolate taste that quickly developed that was not over the top and lasted throughout the smoke. There was nothing flowery or soapy with 1792 nor did I experience the dry mouth feel typical with Kentucky leaf. The side stream for me was similar to the room note that Captain Black White gave off when I smoked that well over 30 years ago. My wife and two daughters didn't find the room note offensive at all. One said it was pancake/maple syrup like. No heat or bite as well.

G&H and SG, the two powerhouses of Lakeland style tobacco blending, are very different in their approach to their respective products. This is a good thing as it adds variety to the available products. As stated, I enjoy G&H offerings over the likes of SG, but with 1972, SG has a winner here. Recommended and one that I can smoke every day if need be. Goes great with a black coffee, too. I am very happy I finally tried it and was not disappointed!

UPDATE 3-23-13: With more drying of this tobacco, the tin aroma that I described as "cherry-like" is now more like black-cherry soda, perhaps from the addition of heliotrope?

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (93)
Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Strong

I have grown very fond of this flake over the years and it has become my go to morning smoke, a ritual I will never tire of, it was made to be smoked while sipping on a hot cup o' joe. The added Tonquin flavoring couldn't compliment the natural flavors of the leaf any better as it just perfectly enhances the Dark Fired and Virginia leafs. This is a true, olde worlde British tobacco and one of the finest on the market. I would not consider this a Lakeland scented tobacco as I don't pick up on any floral or perfume notes whatsoever. I buy this stuff by the box and I like to lay all the flakes out and dry them for a couple of hours before properly packing them into ball top jars for immediate rotation. If I'm wanting to cellar it, I prefer to keep the flakes moist as I think they age better in that state. The nicotine is in the brilliant range (high) and the smoke is heady and stout but also smoooooth as velvet. If you tend to like olde worlde style flakes and you have yet to try this bad boy, than look no further. It doesn't get any better than this my friends.

100% Essential!!!

Pipe Used: Squat Bulldog's and Princes

nikonNUT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nikonNUT (4)
Strong Strong Very Full Pleasant

With the disappearance of Bracken Flake I was hunting for a suitable replacement and 1792 Flake seemed like a good start. A good rubbing out followed by 2 or 3 hours of drying (It is an SG product) and we were off to the races. The flavor is delightful with a strong hit beef jerky (or maybe burning tire?) note that fades into sweet vanilla which itself fades to a note that reminds me of clove/cinnamon. The tobacco flavor is there all the while offering a dialed back version of that classic FVF cereal note. Good stuff! Strength? I guess it's pretty strong in the nic department but no more so than Peterson's Irish Flake (My go to morning smoke) and FAR less brutal than SG's own Bracken Flake (RIP). For me this will make a great morning pipe for the commute.

Pipe Used: Nording Freehand

Age When Smoked: New tin received the night before I tried it.

Similar Blends: Bracken Flake.

doc pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
doc pipes (21)
Strong Strong Full Very Pleasant

This blend came packed so wet that the inside of the tin was rusting under the paper, and around the lid/rubber junction. The smell of this stuff is strong in the tin, and the dark brown/near black irregularly sliced flakes have a white residue that I can only presume is evaporated topping. There are some nice sugar crystals on the tobacco, but this does not translate to the taste, which is dark, cigar like at times, and bitter. I love the room note of this, but don't care for the heavy tonquin that comes through in the taste during the first half of the bowl. The tonquin is almost like a floral vanilla, and it smells like captain black should when burning. Alas, this is not for me, but this is indeed a classic tobacco that all should at least give a shot.

Pipe Used: numerous

Purchased From: iwan ries

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (82)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

Pipe tobacco is definitely subject to the individual taste of the smoker. This has never been more evident to me than with 1792. After the great reviews it sounded what I was looking for. If you dont know what tonquin is do yourself a favor and look it up before you buy, something I didnt do. Its a kind of exotic bean with a VERY peculiar fragrance, that I discovered I personally dont care for. I popped the tin and was treated with a sent that could best be described as shoe polish. Hmmm.... Very odd, and I wasn't thrilled. The paper was damp, the flake tobacco was dark like black or brown leather, and didnt do any convincing SG didnt cut up the sole of an old english shoe. This could be Samuel Gawith's own shoe not sure. Could be a collectors item for sure. I first did a fold and stuff, and was treated with barely a flavor change but was greeted with a strong dose of ole St. NIC. Disappointed. Next bowl saw a rub out. Same thing. Next bowl I went to my sure fire method of sticking it in the blender and some dry time. Nothing helped this leather shoe transform to a pleasureable smoke. I love the differences in my fellow pipers taste and reviews but I'm puzzled at this popular blend with a tonquin flavor. Its just not for me. I will give it a somewhat recommened for those who like this uh..sort of flavor.

Pipe Used: Bertram, peterson 69

Purchased From: Jr cigars

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is ok.

Weird tonquin odour reminds me of a charity clothes shop run by 'LOLITS' (Little Old Ladies In Tennis Shoes) or of a musty/sweet, larder or pantry.

Darker in colour than FVF, but smokes similar. I really don't get how this is supposed to be a strong blend at all. I have read that, according to some, it is believed to be stronger than Irish flake. . . . . Really?!?

I shall get some more when I can afford it, but there are others I wish to purchase before coming back to this. This is just a flavoured version of FVF.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (76)
Strong Strong Very Full Very Strong

First and foremost this is a nicotine bomb, in the best kind of way, now that this clear proceed to read, This virginia/burley blend comes in long uneven flakes that are easy to work with the smell of the tin is something like virginia, something like cocoa and bit of vanilla mix with chemicals I hear that this is toquin which I'm not very familiar with, the taste of it is very overwhelming and by the fourth puff you'll know if this is for you or not, the room note is very off putting and overwhelming, with all of this being said is a great blend to pass the time with, it will not make you any friends and it always satisfies after dinner, in good conscience I cannot recommended to everybody, this is not for amateurs but for the most seasoned smokers. Would I buy it again... Yes but I would not go out of my way to hoard a lot of it.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum no name and falcon pipes

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm glad I tried this. I found out that I don't like Tonquin Bean. Other than that it's a decent smoke.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)
Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

1792 is a dividing tobacco blend, that's for sure. Personally I love the stuff. Despite its reputation, when handled with care it's quite satisfying and smokes soft, sweet, creamy, flavorful and cool. I recommend dedicating a cob to it. I smoke it in a MM Country Gentleman that I rarely fill more than 3/4ths of the way full.

Tin note? I am tempted to classify it as repugnant, but let's just skip this part and get right to how it smokes….

Once lit, the flavor is deeply sweet and I find the room note surprisingly pleasant. The scent is ambrosia of dark spices, vanilla and talc powder which balances nicely with the earthy dark fired tobacco tone. The flavors do intensify as the bowl develops, but the casing keeps the smoke quite mellow at a slow puff.

Speaking of which, technique plays a very important role with this one. I smoke it slow and keep the ember barely burning. Like most strong predominantly dark fired flake you'll be treated to a challenging affair and spoil the subtleties if you stoke it up past a slow crawl.

Tin vs. Bulk - Infrequently I will notice larger or less subtle differences between a tinned and bulk version of a tobacco. 1792 Flake is one of those blends. An extended stay in a sealed mason jar does wonders for the bulk variety. Right off the bat the tinned version really does smoke sweeter, softer and altogether more balanced.

While no where near an everyday smoke for me, I do feel that every admirer of traditional tobacco blends should try this flake at least once.

Recommended

Smoking Sam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking Sam (20)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Strong

I was a little apprehensive about the N factor of this tobacco after reading all of the reviews, and watching several Youtube reviews. I was also worried about tongue bite if smoked moist.

I opened a new tin and rubbed out the flakes completely. I let the tobacco rest, and hopefully dry out, for at least 30 minutes. The tobacco felt OK and packed easily. Even with judicious useage of my Colibri Connaught II, the tobaccy was just about impossible to light even though the pipe was packed loosely. It wouldn't stay lit, and multiple relights were necessary. The tobacco produced a lot of pungent smoke when burning.

The tonquin topping was noticeable on the pallete. The nicotene that I was worried about wasn't a problem - no stomach gurgle, no buzz, etc., and I was puffing the pipe aggressively to try and keep it lit. I threw caution to the wind and even inhaled a couple of times. I found the tobacco to be medium to full flavored. It did burn cool and there was no tongue bite. About half way through the bowl things improved somewhat.

My initial opinion of this tobacco is that it is not on a par with FVF, though stronger, and less satisfying than Dunhill Flake, both in taste and N power. I have another flake rubbed out completely, and I will let this dry for a couple of hours to see if that improves the situation. At this point, all that I can add is that - 1792 shows potential. I like the fuller flavor. I am venturing into stronger and stronger N laden tobaccos lately, (I have some Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Brown Irish twist due to arrive tomorrow.)

More later.....after more thorough drying, and a second cup of coffee.

-----------------------

Round 2: Update.

Packed 1792, now completely dry, into my pipe. Not surprisingly, it lit much easier. Two false lights, tamping, and then off to the races. Now sippable. Impressions? Earthy. Spicy. Medium to full flavored straight tobacco taste. Tonquin bean still apparent, but no whisky flavor. Lots of smoke. It kind of reminds me of Dunhill Nightcap. Still no "N" factor noticed. A strong, basic, tobacco. Much more enjoyable this time around. Raising rating to a 3. Enjoying the experience. No burn to nose or pallete. Smokes cool. Tonquin aroma noticeable - as one reviewer said, this would get one kicked out of a restaurant. Pairs well with strong coffee. I imagine the same would be true of scotch or bourbon. 1792 delivers what I ask of it, a very relaxing medium to strong smoke. Proper drying is essential, for this flake tobacco to shine.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (56)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable

An amazing tobacco that satisfies like no other. It is very unique. Tin aroma to this smoker hints of perfume and barbecued chicken. I generally let flakes dry a bit and partially rub out. I have been smoking in a little Kaywoodie 'campus' and a small clay with great results.

Initially lighting I taste the tonquin and some floral notes. Side stream smoke reminds me a bit of one of those store bought fireplace logs. Once this stuff gets rolling at a good burn the magic happens. The flavor is very rich. There is a pronounced dark chocolate and whiskey taste I get on the periodic nasal exhale coupled with a very earthy flavor that almost reminds me of how black walnut trees smell. Tastes are subjective and this is the best I can describe this amazing stuff. Burns well all the way down with even sipping.

I think this tobacco is one of those distinctive things like Black Licorice, Moxie, etc. Those that like it....really, really like it.

I usually sample this before bed on cold winter nights. It's a special treat and best smoked alone while already in a relaxed contemplative state of mind. The nicotine will provide a total mellowed detachment that will be very linear. Pipe smoking at its best.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin note on this is one of a musty, damp basement where one does their wash. Packaged very moist, it requires 8 seconds in the micro to disperse some moisture, but leaves enough to prevent harshness.

This does deliver a decent nicotine hit, but not enough to scare anyone away. Rich smoke delivers that tonquin bean vanillaish aroma. Does require a few relights throughout the smoke, but that just proves you arent smoking too fast.

As a pipe smoker, I believe everyone owes it to smoke the entire SG spectrum, and start with this one.

4 out of 5 stars. Paired suprisingly well with a JD and Coke.

Update 1/16 After smoking this blend more and more, and smoking it with several years of age on it, I must bump this up to 4 stars. The aged version has tremendous notes of cedar and leather, like an aged Cuban Robusto that was wrapped in a cedar sleeve. Smokes to the bottom of the bowl, without getting harsh or obtrusive.

Age When Smoked: new to 10 years

Albion1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albion1956 (41)
Strong Strong Very Full Tolerable

The amazing tonquin flavor, from the tonka bean, Dipteryx odorata. This is the essence of this blend, not to overshadow the excellently produced tobacco. This is one of those tobacco's you'll either love or hate. This is the second in a series of Virginia flakes that I tried when initiallly exposed to Lake District tobaccos. Natural, that is comes to mind when the tin is opened, the pressing of the tobacco, and then scented with the essence is sublime. The smell alone makes for some to get giddy headed. Small, thin flakes, sliced to perfection, and wraped. This, like FVF needs some air to become functional, and don't forget to put the lid back on because this has no PG and will go dry, in a hurry. This flake rubs out nice, and filling an old Pete with this seems to fit. The charring light seems to emit a flavor, odor, pungency, that cannot be left alone, in that I mean that it is alone, in it's own catagory, this stuff will light YOU up. The palate tries to discern the oncoming rush of variants, but to no avail, it capitulates to the realm of overintoxicating flavor. Middle way down the bowl the smoke with it's messengers, in the form of smoke rings, dance around the acrid atmosphere in a moment of almost asphyxiation from the presence of increased nicotine and tonquin. The bottom of the bowl emits little dottle, and a base of white ash. To indulge yourself in this pleasure, commit a pipe to it and explore. This is not a hallucinogenic, but merely a product of perfection, that can bring a feeling of exhilaration to those that partake. Enjoy

riobrew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
riobrew (34)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Now this is a good smoke. Big, Strong, bold flavor. Love the Dark Fired Kentucky. Demands respect or will put you on your butt. The tonquin bean adds the nice mild vanilla taste. Wanted to try for a long time, finally had the chance and bought 250gr. Glad I did because sold out soon after my order shipped. Need to add this piece, it's like a T-bone steak with a red wine, soy sauce, Worcestershire, balsamic vinegar reduced sauce.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Tivoli Rhodesian and cob

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (102)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable

When I first tried Samuel Gawith’s 1792 Flake I braced myself for a nicotine riptide. It never happened. Yes, it’s strong, but not like G&H Brown Irish X or Sillem’s Commodore Flake. Rather, I would put 1792 between, say, Peterson’s Perfect Plug and BIX. Like HH Bold Kentucky, if you will. Strong. Take it slow and there should be no trouble. In a popped tin, 1792 presents a pile of moist, rough-ish, dark flakes with red-brown and dark gold streaks and flecks. It smells deep but mellow, like brown bread and deep, dark fruit, also rather earthy, and fairly floral, with something like an exotic, hybrid plum/lavender note, along with faint, chocolaty, cigar spices, maybe some coffee, and I gather all this has to do with tonquin added to the highly conditioned VA/KY tobacco blend. Whatever, I find it very nice, and I am picky about additives. Over time the tin note came to remind me of Play Doh, though it never did when I smoked it To prep it, it’s OK to fold, spindle, load and smoke a flake right from the tin; or rub it and/or dry it out, if you like. I always start out smoking straight from the tin and go from there, and in this case I’ve stuck with this approach, despite I always wind up with re-lights and some dottle, because I think it is cooler, smoother, and richer smoked at tin moisture. I suppose it’s the fermented VAs that provide the “dark fruit”, along with significant sweetness, although some of this is certainly casing, as well. There is plenty of fragrant smoke, and there’s very little tobacco “edge”, despite the growing intensity as it’s smoked down. The smoke is dry yet creamy, like a fine cigar with a dark wrapper, top to bottom, plus the “dark fruit”, along with the ethereal tonquin scent. The spices are reminiscent of a fairly intense Middle Eastern dessert rather than a pepper shaker. Overall, I find 1792 quite delicious, with a delectable snork. Although 1792 is not an aro, the top note holds through the smoke. I’m thinking 1792 is similar to Old Dark Flake, but it’s smoother, fruitier, and sweeter, and I think some will prefer it, if only because it is “more accessible”. Regarding 1792’s leaf proportions, the chosen varietals are well met and well balanced, and no doubt the Old World stoving, pressing and steaming affect the results, in the end. One flake provides a lengthy smoke. Again, strength is strong. Tastes are “mellow” but still full. Room note is not bad for a strong KY blend. Aftertaste is the best of the smoke.

S. Gawith say 1792 is a bestseller, so I guess I am not alone in finding it a relaxing and satisfying, first quality smoke, not to mention “Old School”, in the best sense. It’s “simple” in a good way. Some describe the topping as overwhelming, but I think it yields to the fine, tasty, fragrant tobaccos, ultimately adding to the smoke. 4 stars.

Pipe Used: various briars

Age When Smoked: fresh and jarred

Purchased From: Liberty Tobacco

Similar Blends: HH Old Dark Flake.

the_dalai_lama_himself Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the_dalai_lama_himself (43)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I wanted to like this as I like SG blends. The tonquin bean and whiskey don't go well together in my opinion. Tastes like those hard shell candies you find at wedding tables.. but the whiskey and kentucky gives it a sour rancid kind of taste. Burns kinda hot, but could be the Marcus Cob. Don't want to get this flavor in any of my other pipes so.. some earthiness and pepper but pretty much a consistent one trick kind of blend, burns slow which is nice if you like the flavor, lends itself to sipping.. I don't think it tastes good when relighting.. drying is useful, and no need to run a pipe cleaner if you do let it dry.. no Dottle.. 2 stars because of the quality tobacco- 2.5-3 if you like tonquin, guess I'll let it rest for a couple years. The Nicotine factor i find myself immune to as I dip and smoke very strong cigars.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (84)
Very Strong Strong Very Full Tolerable

As JimInks said, this is a love/hate flake. I experience this as a monotonous, bitter smoke, the tobacco flavour can't keep up with the tonquin. Relighting after the pipe has been set aside for awhile unleashes a taste that strikes me as just noxious.

If you like this sort of thing, then you'll like this. I'll continue to mourn Bracken Flake...

Witold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Witold (11)
Very Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

At first, pleasant alcohol taste with something else (probably coumarin), but going through the half of the bowl it starts to nauseate me. It's not a tobacco for me but it's not bad either.

Burns rather cool but it's hard to me to keep it lit.

Pipe Used: Missouri Corn Cob

Rainer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rainer (3)
Very Strong Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Update 5/27/15.

I have now tried all three different ways this flake comes: Tin, 250g Box, 1lb Box. (Still haven't got my hands on a cob plug).

Thought it would be helpful to give thoughts on the three varieties:

Tin The tin has short, very thin strips of flake. Big lakeland hit on opening. Most flake-like of the three offerings.

250g Longer flakes and slightly thicker. They tend to break up much easier than in the tin. Much milder essence. Comes wrapped in plastic which is nice because it remains moist. This is my favorite package.

1lb Long and THICK flakes. Thick like country style bacon. Beautiful box, looks like they just chopped up the plug and left it together. Dense. However, this comes with only a paper wrapping in the box and it comes BONE DRY. Needed to hydrate several times to get it where I need it. Flakes MUST be broken up to use, not much of a fold and stuff option here due to the thickness. That said, I have smoked it just stuffed. It's like trying to light briquettes, but once going a very slow cool burn. Again, not a significant essence here since it's been breathing.

There ya go.

Original: Favorite tobacco, bar none.

I smoke this all day, every day. There is something about the aroma that just does it for me. As a heavy smoker, it's also got the nicotine hit that I need, without giving me a buzz, but I will say the only thing stronger I've smoked is pure cube-cut burley from 4 noggins, which does knock me out.

Some tips:

Lighting: yeah, keeping a bowl lit can be difficult, but only if you use the wrong pipe. I can't stress enough using a Dunhill Group 1-2. Personally, I use a clay pipe with a size 2 bowl. Lasts about 15-20 minutes, but it will absolutely stay lit in this pipe, possibly because the bowl itself gets so hot. Another advantage of the clay, is that if you sit near a candle or a gas flame, you can just dip the tip of the pipe into the flame and keep the light going. I also use a Mark Twain cob sometimes and it stays very well lit in there.

Moisture: don't dry this sucker out like some have recommended. Use it and keep it how it comes in the tin. It will burn hot and harsh if it's dry. You need those oils and the steam burning away to really enjoy this one. Using the right pipe will eliminate needless drying.

Bulk/Tin: I've smoked both and prefer the bulk. It's more of a broken flake in bulk, just easier to manage all around. However, the tin isn't exactly perfect flake either (compared to say HH Old Dark and Fired). I like the raw nature of it.

I just can't say enough about this smoke. Clearly I like my smoke strong, and there's plenty of strong tobacco out there, but this stuff is just gold. GOLD!

Pipe Used: Dawnmist Clay/MM Mark Twain

Age When Smoked: 6mo

Purchased From: 4Noggins(Tin/250g), Mars Cigars (1lb)

Similar Blends: Heaven :).

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Very Strong Very Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Brand new nike sneakers! That's the aroma! I couldn't place the smell of 1792 until I bought a new pair of Nike Air's. There is not much to add here after all the reviews aside from the vanilla / sneaker aroma I noticed that no other reviewer mentioned. Am I the only one that still buys Nike? Delicious full flavored, unique and thick flakes from one of the best and oldest blending houses... Has enough nicotine to convert you from cigs to pipes...

Pipe Used: Cobs, no name italian briar

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

Laserboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laserboy (16)
Extremely Strong Very Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Ahhh--now _this_ is tobacco! Quite amazing stuff, 1792 is, and it will blow your socks off (or empty your stomach, more likely) if you're not careful.

1792 arrives as irregular, dark flakes with a rubbery, tar-like consistency. A bit of drying is far from a bad idea. As one might infer from both the consistency of the flakes and the strength of the tobacco's flavor and nicotine content, it burns slowly and is best in a very narrow, deep pipe. The tonquin will ghost your pipe, so be careful in your selection. (I have a dedicated churchwarden just for this blend--the churchwarden style matches the slow and contemplative smoking method suited to 1792 very well.) Expect numerous relights and _do not_ fall into the trap of puffing hard to get it going when it cools down--that risks an unfortunate wallop of the nicotine for which this tobacco is rightly notorious.

Slow, steady draws on the pipe reward the smoker of this blend with a sweet and astonishingly flavorul flow of smoke with a vanilla and caramel overtone. I think this tobacco is technically an aromatic, but the sweetness is more subdued than what people usually associate with that word. Also, I'm not sure that the room note is all that pleasing to non-smokers in the vicinity. As has been frequently mentioned, the nicotine content of 1792 is demanding of respect! The combination of nicotine effects and the burn qualities of the tobacco make it unthinkable to me that one would smoke it in anything other than a very comfortable, relaxed setting. A beverage near to hand is absolutely a benefit. Sitting in front of my outdoor fireplace with a big snifter of Laphroaig and either some good friends or a good book (one of my best friends, after all) and a pipeful of 1792 make for a wonderful night finished off with a pleasantly unsteady walk to bed.

As a side-note: I believe that Bracken Flake, also from Samuel Gawith, is essentially 1792 without the tonquin. But I have not smoked enough of Bracken to state this with high confidence.

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Bracken Flake.

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Straight from this tin, It was a coarse flake cut, and I could not distinguish the smell. Very different. The flake took some experimenting to get a perfect smoke, which most all flakes do, but after it did...

I'll just start with the strength. Yes, very strong, big buzz. That's what I expected, and enjoyed.

The room note was very nice. It was musky and some hints of a spicy vanilla. The wife loved it and it sticks around for a while. The taste was a whole different planet then other blends. It was a very good virginia and burley with a very spicy, yet sweet vanilla that comes out once in a while. Initial lighting I got almost a spiced rum kind of thing.

I did get a medium lasting smoke, that was very cool and lived up to it's name.

I highly recommend this, to any smoker. Amazing Blend.

Pipe Used: AKB Smooth Freehand Meerschaum, Peterson System

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (136)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Once it gets started, after a couple re-lights, the Virginia takes the lead, with a slight hint of vanilla. By the time the burley comes in to balance things out a bit, it's pure tobacco. Strength builds a bit through the bowl. Hints of vanilla reappear near the finish. Burned clean. 3 stars.

Pipe Used: Willmer 35+ years old, MM

Age When Smoked: Undated tin; bought 2 months ago

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Battle Creek, MI

Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A mild, easy to light flake . . . yeah, right. The tonquin is very present, but in reality probably a tad less so than in Westmoreland. However, since it isn't used too often it would be a surprise to the uninitiated. The N is strong, but probably not much more so than in Grasmere Flake or Royal Yacht. In fact, it reminds me a bit of Royal Yacht, different form and flavor (flake v ribbon, tonquin v whatever Royal Yacht is flavored with) but still similar in terms of strength of both N and flavor. And, of course, it is difficult to light.

I tend to be one of those annoying people who 7 out of 10 times light a pipe with one or two matches and smoke through the bowl with the occasional tamp. 1792 usually takes 3-5 matches to get going and needs constant tending and sometimes relights. I can see why some find it frustrating.

Despite all the above, I found this a very nice change of pace tobacco, different to the other types I gravitate towards. Not recommended for beginners or those who dislike highly flavored smokes.

StrongMixturesOnly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StrongMixturesOnly (17)
Extremely Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

By far, the strongest tin tobacco I have ever sampled. At first puff, the tonquin bean is boldly apparent. The flavor of the two burleys, coupled with the flavoring of the tonquin bean, makes for a pleasant taste. The room note is also pleasant. What really is distinct about this mixture is it's potency. I recommend sitting down at first, until one knows the effect of this strong tobacco.

arclight Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arclight (5)
Strong Strong Full Pleasant

This is an excellent flake tobacco. I cut the flakes in to small pieces and let them dry for about a hour. This tobacco can be very wet - let them dry out a little. Lighting can be hard, but I find once it is lit, it stays lit. 1792 is an excellent tobacco for a slow smoke. the tonquin flavoring is very different from most tobacco's, it is very earthy. This is one of my go to tobaccos. This tobacco has a decent nicotine kick. It is a perfect companion to a stout ale or a strong whisky. This is a good smoke when you want to spend some time contemplating life and the world in general. Treat it with respect and you will have a great smoke!

Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)
Very Strong Medium Very Full Strong

Wow, this is a proper smoke. It should come with one of those warnings about not driving, or using heavy machinery.

So it would not rate as a regular for me, but nevertheless there is a pleasing quality to this blend for those occasions when you may desire a bit more punch to your smoke.

The words strong, heady, powerful and full flavoured come to mind. But if you know what you are letting yourself in for and sitting comfortably with no distractions, then it does present a rewarding smoking experience.

Don't worry about the apparent flavourings, either, the fullness of the underlying tobacco more than matches any pretensions that this may have to being an aromatic.

Recommended.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)
Medium to Strong Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

While viewing a wikipedia article about tonquin beans I was surprised to read it therein stated that they were used to flavor 1792 Flake AND Dunhill Royal Yacht. This was astonishing to me as a long time fan of both the old, very robust Royal Yacht and the new, slightly more tame, version. I had to try it to see.

I am also, beyond the Royal Yacht, not an afficiando of flavored blends in general, I should add.

1792 Flake may well be cased with whisky but that I could not tell. The tonquin topping however is nearly overwhelming from the tin aroma, taste in the smoke, and room note. And surprising to myself, I rather enjoyed the experience. I would not classify 1792 as a heady smoke but one of strength sufficient enough to let one know its packs some punch. I feel it more in my stomach than my head.

The flake packed easily enough and had the usual problems of firing. Loading a pipe and letting it rest, unlighted, for several hours somewhat alleviates this problem. I do think its European name, "Cob Flake", is spot on. It smokes better for me in a cob.

I could not say, after this exercise, that Royal Yacht has any tonquin flavoring, however. If it's in that one, it's very slight. And that's a big "IF".

All in all, I did like this one.

John Frum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
John Frum (17)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable

So glad I waited a few years before trying this bad boy! It sure is a strong one. However, for me it is so far the best of the stronger flakes & plugs I've tried, for example Revor Plug and Condor Long Cut. I'm new to Tonka bean flavouring - it works well, and seems to last longer into the smoke than other casings. When it begins to fade the tobacco flavour is full and tasty. It needs some drying: I find that pulling a flake apart and leaving it for some 45-60min at room temperature is ideal. Then, it burns well and can be sipped and savoured. So, four stars - if you like a bit of something stronger in your rotation, I'd say it's a must-try.

SmoothingIt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmoothingIt (5)
Very Strong Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

Oh, the 1792 Flake! You live in a unique world where some love you and some hate you but few are indifferent.

I have found that the 1792 is a strong tobacco not enjoyable by the light-hearted. Even for a nicotine fiend like me, it is best enjoyed after a large dinner. An empty belly doesn't go well with the high nicotine content and tonquin flavoring. I offered a bowl- full to a friend somewhat new to pipe smoking. Less than halfway through, his coughing and dizziness ended his pipe smoking enjoyment for the night.

All that being said, when the time is right, I do enjoy this smoke immensely. It is full of flavors that reveal themselves throughout the bowl. It burns well and an experienced smoker should have little problems keeping it lit.

As with most tobaccos I purchase, it is packaged much too moist and needs to be air-dried for a bit before smoking. Sidenote - when freshly opened, 1792 looks and smells a bit like bacon.

sentientchimp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sentientchimp (4)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Strong

Having just finished a tin of excellent Dunhill Flake, I popped down to be tobacconist for another, only to discover that they were out of it. I quickly scanned the shelves for another flake and settled on the 1792, having done zero research on the blend beforehand. Judging by the rustic appearance of the packaging, I figured that it would be another straight VA along the lines of the Dunhill Flake. After getting home and cracking the tin, I was a bit disapointed to discover that I had wound up with a tonquin-flavored VA. It was extremely moist out of the tin, to the point that it had stained the paper inside. After some drying time, I packed a bowl in a Dublin-shaped meer and light up. The tonquin flavoring is quite strong, way more so than the only blend I can think of that's similarly flavored, Dunhill's Royal Yacht. Additionally, this is probably the most powerful blend I've ever had in terms of nicotine content. I like a good nicotine hit now and then when I'm smoking, and Dunhill Nightcap is one of my favorites, but this 1792 is really in a league of its own. Between the somewhat odd taste of the stuff and the intense nicotine buzz, I did find myself getting a bit nauseous initially. After a few days and a few more bowls, I seem to have grown a bit more accustomed to the stuff. That being said, I don't exactly enjoy smoking this stuff in quite the same way that I do with my favorite blends like Squadron Leader or MM 967. I can't help but feel a bit put off by the strong tonquin casing and the mighty nicotine kick. This is definitely not in my daily rotation, and I only smoke it on a full stomach and when I'm really in the mood for a strong buzz. I highly doubt that I'll be buying more of this, and I wouldn't recommend it too strongly to others. If you're looking for a Virginia blend with tonquin flavoring and a hefty nicotine dose, go for the Royal Yacht. It's flavoring is way more low-key, and the nicotine level is more manageable. That being said, the 1792 is quite unique and quite strong, and I can see how it might be the Holy Grail for some smokers.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (184)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

Is a different flake, different are the flavour, the scent and the taste. Their quality is good, for this, 2 stars, but is only for the smokers that like flakes and Virginia flakes, I'm not a specialist, i prefer english mixtures and aromatics. High Nicotine Strenght for me and the Tonquin Bean is not for all...

Very Strong None Detected Very Full Overwhelming

I imagine this is what pure, strong tobacco tasted like well over a century ago. I have tried this a number of times, and though it does smoke cool, it's just too much for me. It is one of the strongest flakes I can think of. It has that rope or pig's tail tobacco quality in the sense of a very rough and raw flavor.

Room aroma is definitely awful, leaving an almost pungent stench that has nothing to do with other "strong" room aroma, such as the incense like smell of Latakias or Orientals. The nicotine punch is very much in evidence and even if you smoke this flake in a calmly and paused manner, dizziness is, in my experience, inevitable.

Otherwise, this a real tobacco. Have a go and picture yourself in one of those XIXth century clippers, in the company of brawling sailors or pirates. Don't forget the parrot perched on your shoulder.

tpatriarche Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tpatriarche (32)
Strong Mild Very Full Tolerable

After getting hooked on Gawith's unusual Grouse Moor (lemon grass flavour!) I wanted to try some of their other blends. I am always looking for a strong, smooth blend and I like dark tobaccos, so this one sounded like a good bet. Also, as as an old-time smoker, I enjoy the ritual of rubbing the flake.

First impressions: Not as damp in the tin as some reviewers have said. Smells unusual, earthy. The taste (I always taste the tobacco itself) is tart and pleasant; it may be cased, but there's no sticky Cavendish here.

After just a little rubbing, packs nicely in my favourite Carey pipe. Burns evenly with only one light. Tastes strong and rich, yet easy on the tongue. The tonquin scent seems very light, but I'm having an allergy attack, so take that with a grain of salt!

Later Impressions: I still find the tonquin flavour very light; perhaps I have an idiosyncratic insensitivity — avocados are tasteless to me. The aroma is hard to describe; something between a very light vanilla and new-mown hay? Reminiscent of sweet grasses and herbs such as Sweet Woodruff that used to be used to scent pillows and linens. A mellow smoke, strong but not too strong; very pleasurable, and unique in its combination of dark tobacco with a flavour but no over-sweet Cavendish. Perhaps a bit one-dimensional compared to some more complex blends — I often find this is true of dark stoved tobaccos, but this has much more character than a plain dark stoved Virginia. The strength partly comes just from the density common to pressed flake or cut plug tobaccos; a medium sized pipe that holds 2.5 gm. of a ribbon cut will hold 4 or more gm. of this blend. The only downside is that 50 g doesn't last as long!

I have had to change my rating of the Room Note. It is pleasant at first, but soon after the pipe is finished changes to an unpleasant stale ashtray smell. I've compromised on "Tolerable".

I am adding this to my Favorites list, although I think it will be an occasional diversion rather than a regular smoke.

Pipe Used: Carey Magic Inch

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

Purchased From: Goodfellas http://www.goodfellascigarshop.com/pipe_smoke.htm

Geir Danielsen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geir Danielsen (5)
Strong Medium Full Pleasant

Wow,,,this is a blend you should smoke slowly....real slowly...then it.s opens all the flavors and they are good! I rubbed it out and use only 1 match ,it burns, slow and has a sweet backdrop all the way.Lady N is strong,i do inhale it in very small puffs,,,smoked very slowly..it gives a wonderful rich taste. The tin aroma...well it.s kinda burning rubber and gum,it,s sounds hideous...but its not! i find it difficult to describe the taste,,,but its not:nutty,cigar,..., it has to be the T,bean extract and i like it a lot.Dark,watery(mouth),no taste of whiskey..,,Again,to get the full taste of this wonderful blend:smoke it slowly. and not to forget...it goes well with a double espresso!

Pipe Used: Rattrays Fachen nr 801

BriarWoody Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarWoody (33)
Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I appreciate the divergent views on 1792 and couldn't wait to try it. Count me in the "love it" category.

First, I've read some scary tin note descriptions. Folks, this smells great: deeply smoky and faintly sweet. Regarding the moisture level, I let it dry out for a half hour and everything's fine in the bowl. It requires a few relights, but is far less annoying than all of the Esoterica blends and easier to deal with than FVF.

Yes, there's tonka in this. But it is lighter in flavor than most vanilla-topped blends and is complementary to the strong tobacco flavors. It is more nutty and floral, not Lakeland-ishly soapy, and smooths out the rough spots similarly to how the vanilla is applied to G&H's Kendal Dark Vanilla.

Regarding nicotine delivery, it's a bit less potent than most of the stronger Dunhill blends.

That said, like most of the dark-fired G&H blends, this one ain't for the wee lads. One of my all-time favorites. Highly recommended for the experienced piper or cigar smoker.

Pipe Used: Vermont Freehand Poker

Age When Smoked: Fresh Tin

Similar Blends: Peterson Irish Flake.

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (153)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Well this flake is more toquin to me than the other toppings when you open it.after rubbing it leave it a couple hours to dry the moist is more than needed.needs an effort to light and burns medium without biting.as for the taste it's medium to hevy nic level not an all day blend to me.the toquin flavour is dominant to me(sorry i didn't get any of the other toppings)in a nutty earthy and a bit sweet environment.i am not a toquin fan so this blend has not excited me.since you try full virginia and best brown flake you will find this very flat and tasteless.

Age When Smoked: Rubed and leave it to dry out a couple hours

Richard Jhonson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Richard Jhonson (13)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (150)
Very Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a tobacco I was very much looking forward to tasting as I had the hunch that it would become a favourite, so when at last I was able to procure a tin I broke it open straight away. I was greeted by thick cut dark, almost black, flakes which had crystals formed on them. Very ancient-looking. Unfortunately I do not know how old my tin was...

Tin note was interesting to say the least. It smelled like a moist decaying mouldy heap of grass and forest leaves with notes of dark earth and manure. Quite appealing, but I was expecting a tonca bean odour which is so obvious in Sam's Flake, but here I could not detect at all and was a little unhappy about that. I then smoked a small bowlful and jarred the rest. I have to say that my tin did not come at the usual Gawith moisture, it was moist but not very much. My first experience with this tobacco, on an empty stomach, I must add, was hindered by constant hiccups. Not a great success, rather disappointing, especially after such anticipation and high expectations.

I came back to it the next day to find the jar steamed up from the moisture, but upon opening the odour was much closer to what I imagined it should be: still decadent but with a discernible vanilla-like note from the tonca amidst deep earthy tones. I think I could also discern the whisky, very faintly though.

So, I dried another bowlful (for a little while - it does not need much drying despite the steaming up of the jar) and took my chances for a second time. It needed a few matches to light, but then on magic started to unfold. 1792 is a deeply flavored dark smoky concoction supported by a decadent musky and musty sweetness that speaks of ageing. As the bowl progresses it becomes peppery, so much so, that I almost suspect there is some Perique in it.

Smoking 1792 flake feels like you smoke a centuries forgotten tobacco that was found in a dark dungeon. This is really something else! It needs a few relights to sustain it but nothing really fussy. It also smokes much drier than other S. Gawith tobaccos and considerably faster than FVF. As to it's notorious strength, it is indeed strong but not overwhelmingly so, at least for me and only when with a full stomach. Room note is smoky (presumably from the dark firing) and strong but I find it tolerable.

A truly exceptional tobacco, a relic from another age, which needs to be smoked contemplatively. If you can tolerate strong tobacco, this is a must!

Similar Blends: ...nothing else I've tried....

earl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
earl (12)
Very Strong Very Strong Full Strong

Typically, I don't like reviews where a reviewer says I don't like (fill in the blank) type blends and then reviews one while trashing it. But, I wanted to add a cautionary note for smokers who have not tried blends with tonquin before. Quite some time ago picked up 1/2 pound of this for the first (and last ) time, having never tried it or tonquin in a blend. It looked lovely with dark flakes and it is quality tobacco. However, to my palate tonquin is rather nasty and this blend when I tried it was heavily flavored with it. It is probably 1 of the worst tasting tobaccos I've had in my 40 or so years of pipe smoking. For those who've never tried it, I'd certainly recommend you start with a sampler amount first !

Pipe Used: so long ago I don't remember

Purchased From: a B&M

Similar Blends: like nothing else.

pylet2000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pylet2000 (33)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

I've been diving into Gawith blends / flakes since discovering how much I love Squadron Leader, Commonwealth, and Balkan Flake. Had to try the legendary 1792 flake, right?

In short, I rather like this. Everybody has covered the vitals already: wet in the tin, STRONG tonquin (reminds one of a peculiar vanilla), super powerful nicotine kick, nice flake construction, pleasingly sweet. Notable Virginia and Burley presence, somehow through the toppings you can still get a very good sense of what the leaf is about. I want to call it an 'antique aromatic', absolute time machine of a concoction.

I'd more like to share my findings about working with this one. I found that fresh from the tin, rubbing out a bowl worth and letting it sit in the open for two hours got it dry enough to enjoy. Was still rather damp in the centers of the strands but lit well and stayed that way. The power of the tonquin was something to behold. But I discovered that as the tin was open and given more time to dry, the tonquin dominance actually subsided to a pleasant balance and made this smoke much less formidable in aroma. Still very notable, but not overwhelmingly so. Gotta give this one some time to breathe in my opinion.

If you're going to smoke more than a few bowls of this, be prepared for ghosting. Your favorite briar for Latakia should not be used. It smokes great in a cheap cob, easy enough to dedicate to this magnificent flake.

My favorite way to enjoy this at present is to mix it 50 / 50 with Full Virginia Flake, another Gawith classic. The flakes are generally identical in size, making it pretty easy to gauge blend ratio. Both are superb quality, and when I crave something sweet and not overbearing, with a full but not disturbing nic content, this scratches the itch perfectly. Room note of this blend approaches aromatic nice, and is about as close to an aromatic as this English / Latakia lover cares to get.

Going back to the 'antique aromatic' idea, unlike modern aromatics that get goopy in the bowl or bite like crazy, this has neither of those shortcomings. And you can really get the flavor of the quality leaf used, the aromatic topping / casing (once aired a bit) doesn't drown the tobacco flavors.

All in all, exquisite. But be prepared to fiddle a bit to find the way you enjoy it best.

Pipe Used: Dedicated briar, cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh to a few weeks

Lazarus77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lazarus77 (87)
Very Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

1792 Flake. Nice smell from tin, bit to much moisture,Needs drying for 10 minutes. Lits up well, one relight only. Full round pleasant taste and strong kick of nicotine. This is Devils stuff and not all day smoke, but definitely few pipes on weekends with glass of scotch or bourbon. Will keep few tins in my cellar.Highly recommended !!!

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin - Calabash

Purchased From: My Smoking shop http://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk

Leandro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leandro (13)
Extremely Strong Very Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

A really strong one. The tonquin bean is overwhelming and hides the whisky. I find this flake very difficult to burn and need of some relights, though it does very cool. It is clearly a high quality tobacco, but not for me: While I found it rich and interesting also proved overwhelming me, and I left the can before finishing. However, it is still recommended.

vinnmann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinnmann (1)
Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

I tried this yesterday and it was like a donkey kick to the gut. I still haven't felt the same since yesterday. I quite drinking 4 years ago but after smoking this stuff I feel hungover lol.

I can handle Dunhill Nightcap and it's almost my ideal strength nicotine level. 1792 is about 3 times stronger in my opinion. I'm likely going to cut it with something else and move onto to greener pastures.

SamH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SamH (31)

I tried this once and whilst it's not entirely my kind of tobacco, it's not bad and I bet some love it. Complex to me, but pleasant and hits the spot well enough. I quite liked it. Is there wood in it? I mean that in a good way. Different from the rest, but by which I think I mean unique. I won't be switching from FVF, but even so. Good.

Pipe Used: various

Age When Smoked: From Tin on arrival.

Purchased From: MySmokingShop.

Similar Blends: Unsure..

Pipesmoking101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmoking101 (62)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This one has been reviewed many times before, so I shall be brief. This flake is legendary, and when a friend began downsizing his tobacco collection, I gladly took 5 tins, I just had an inkling that I would like this. I would say that following my gut resulted in a moderately good decision.

Opening the tin, the flakes are - like all SG Flakes I've encountered - irregular in thickness. They are mostly black with mottled brown flecks throughout.

The tin note is very strong, which I assume is the tonquin bean scent. It is a farmyard scent, freshly mown hay but with a herby quality, barns shaded from the sun dance spring to mind, bringing respite from the heat on a blisteringly hot day. Very pleasant, but you now this will not be a muted smoke by the scent.

The flakes rubbed out easily (I kept some of the thinner ones aside & smoked them folded). I allowed the tobacco time to breathe, but didn't overdo the drying as this seems to be detrimental. Unlike many others, I find SG flakes are variable in the moisture they contain, so maybe I was just lucky with this tin.

The folded thin flakes & the rubbed out flakes took not too much effort to light, and burned fairly consistently down to the bottom. I will state a disclaimer here, though - I am using a new 'chimney stack' pipe that I purchased for flakes & for the first time I am using a gauze, which I believe may have improved the burn of this tobacco by maintaining a consistent air pocket at the bottom of the chamber.

The taste is ... odd. Not unpleasant, but not the same as any other tobacco I have smoked. The tonquin bean is dominant, but synergizes well with the Virginia & Burley. As others have mentioned, the tonquin gives a hint of Oriental tobaccos in the mix, although it contains none. The flavour is consistent & doesn't burn off towards the end of the bowl, the herb/spice/sweet notes make them selves present throughout with bursts of fine tobacco flavour all the way down. The retrohale especially is pleasing. If I got any hint of whisky at all, it was very mutes & contained only in the aftertaste. It was so muted that I'm not sure I got it at all.

The room note is okay, as always probably too strong for non-smokers to enjoy, but the windows are all open as it's summer, so it doesn't hang around for too long.

The nicotine content is strong. It is, for me, an evening smoke after dinner. pairs well with dark teas/dark ales or stouts.

In the end, I'm glad I bought it. I've finished the tin and enjoyed it, but will stow the others away for ageing as I'm not in a massive hurry to smoke the rest. I considered downgrading this to 2 stars for my personal gripe with SG about the variation in their flake sizes, but I've come to realise that this is just par for the course with them, so I will give this 3 stars, but I am being quite generous, on another day it could well have been 2. Overall, all flake lovers should try this at least once. The chimney stack pipe was a worthwhile investment, it smokes flakes well, but will need a thorough clean since I've smoked this tin in this one pipe, and I feel it could ghost the pipe quite stubbornly.

This review went on a bit longer than I expected it to, really.

Pipe Used: Ben Wade Colindale Two Tone Curved Chimney

Age When Smoked: unknown (bought from a friend).

Purchased From: A friend

Similar Blends: I've never smoked a baccy quite like this before.

master_connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
master_connoisseur (1)
Very Strong Strong Very Full Strong

Its amazing.... in a unique way, let me explain.: -It tastes like the bottom 1/4 of a cigar when they get nasty/tarry. -Smells meh.. like campfire that is burning nothing but moss and cheap perfume. -Indeed a little wet but I dont care because the lighter is in my hand, fold and stuff who cares if it stays lit.

Now when you light this stuff.... *OMGWTFROFLTHISISAWSOME!!!!!

*must be in the mood for nicotine

Pipe Used: meerschaum canadian, chacom wedze

Purchased From: toacconist

Similar Blends: None.

AppleJack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AppleJack (8)
Very Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

As soon as I got this tobacco and took a big deep sniff at it, I realised that I was in for a potent blend. My nose certainly did not deceive me, this is by far the strongest tobacco I have ever smoked!

So let that be warning to you! If it's your first time packing this in your pipe make sure you're sitting down before you light up! Otherwise you're going to wind up on the floor in a nicotine haze.

Overall, I found this tobacco to be a bit strong in almost every regard for me, smoking and tasting more like a cigar leaf than what I'm used to from a pipe tobacco. I'm sure others would find this pleasurable - most likely the very heavy smokers - but for me it was just a little too much.

I don't think I'll come back to this one, but that's not really anything against the tobacco itself. If you like a strong, full bodied smoke then this is for you, but if you'd prefer a relaxing puff beside the fireside in the evenings, then maybe you'd prefer a nice, gentle latakia or aromatic.

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (130)
Very Strong Medium Full Very Pleasant

As I opened the tin, I was hit with a hint of vanilla. The tin note was actually quite pleasant, so I wondered whether I would actually enjoy it. I find the appearance of the flakes quite suggesting despite their different sizes and lengths. It just looks like rotten wooden strips, which suggests heavy fermentation. The moist content was absolutely ridiculous, so I left the tin open for some time before I got myself around into packing my pipe with it. I am finding the taste somewhat similar to the tin note, which is a bonus, really. After a few puffs, I noticed the nicotine content was actually quite high; so much so, that I started worrying I'd not be able to finish my pipe after all. Also, I find some aromatics qualities in this tobacco, and me not being a fan of aromatics at all, at first I wasn't all too sure whether or not I was actually enjoying it. The floral essence of the Burley tobacco is quite put forward and sort of dominates taking over from the Virginia. I am not sure about the tonquin bean, but it does not bother me anyway. Despite the risk of being knock off my tail, I must admit I have thoroughly enjoyed it. The tobacco itself is not all that complex, but it evolves quite nicely through every quarter of your bowl. Not sure though whether I'd recommend it to kick start your day. Those adventurous enough might as well go and try to smoke it on an empty stomach, but this tobacco will be better enjoyed as an afternoon/after dinner blend. Indeed, this tobacco is nor recommended for the squeamish.

Pipe Used: Moretti

Age When Smoked: God knows

Purchased From: Tobacconist in Spain

sibeen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sibeen (10)
Medium to Strong Extra Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

I was intrigued to know what a tonquin bean flavour was. I'm intrigued no longer, and after this experience will never be intrigued again.

Damm, it's just a ghastly flavour.

I really wanted to like this blend. Medium thickness flakes, a tin note that hints of chocolate, and nearly a perfect moisture content. Almost perfect...until you light it up.

Then the tonquin bean comes into play, and it takes no prisoners. Any semblance of a tobacco taste is completely overwhelmed. How this isn't given as an aromatic is beyond my ken, because it certainly isn't tobacco.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (101)
Overwhelming Medium to Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

There are far to many great tasting, great burning,consistently good tobaccos on the market for me to waste my time smoking this beast. The taste is so full of nicotene and horid aroma that I'm not able to enjoy my pipe.

scottyspipesebay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottyspipesebay (25)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Strong

Well gents, this is one that will no doubt be used as a boosting agent for blending, but not much more. It is age-old style tobacco that is nice and strong, but flavor-wise, it leaves little to be desired. It's just flat and strong, all the way around. For stand alone strong goodies, my ropes and twists have both strength and character that I love, and will stick with. Enjoy what you grabs ya`.

Update: I found that a fold and stuff; NOT rubbing out delivers a sweet edge that's kind of nice. There is far less bite because rubbing out allows the sugars to burn faster which converts to acid; bites the tongue and kills the flavor. So, instead of smoking smaller rubber out amounts, I've been folding and stuffing medium amounts with nice results. Therefore, I'm bumping this up to "recommend" because the more I smoke it, the more I understand and enjoy it. Some things are an acquired taste, AND require a little experimentation, and this for me seems to be one of them.

Update 11/26/2012: I'd sellered the large sample I got from Pipes and Cigars and pulled it back out today. It has become sweet and woody, and good Lord is has a wonderful kick. I'm a seasoned old fart, so it's not overwhelming to me...just good strong English. Beginners, tie your boots tight, or you'll fall right out of them.

11/29/12. Another consideration: I went 1/2 and 1/2 with Dunhill's A-30000 black cav, and what an outstanding mix. Not too sweet, no bite, good medium strong woody goodness. Holy Mole! I think I've crossed the diamond with the pearl!

pipelicidad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelicidad (9)
Strong Strong Full Very Strong

If there is a pipe smoking mixture that escapes the simplistic often used classification of aromatic and english blends, the former being friendly with the new pipe smoker and with non- smokers, and the latter being more adequate to the experienced smoker, it must be this one. 1792 is an English mixture, but also an aromatic one, and is not suited for the novice pipes –because of its high nicotine content-, and, furthermore, the room note is awful. I can only make sense of this blend by thinking it was designed for the folks of the past: people who lived 200 years ago, who used to smoke in small bowl pipes due to the scarcity of tobacco, and who didn't where used to eat food as aseptic and fresh as we are (imagine a world without refrigeration, with little availability of clean water, etc.), and rather use a perfume-like casing for their tobacco instead of edible stuff. In the world of that epoch, where horses could defecate in the streets freely, a tobacco that has a sweaty-dungy tin note makes sense. That being said, smoked in a small bowl pipe, and willing to make a trip to the past, this spartan aromatic blend is something quite lovely.

AlexL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AlexL (26)
Overwhelming Medium Extra Full Extra Strong

All that was written below is right: it's wet; flakes are not even and in total disorder, and it's incredibly stinking N-bomb. Still, I made some use of it: rubbing ¼ of flake and adding it to Red Rapparee, which has no nicotine at all. Otherwise I'd throw 2 tins to garbage. Thus I am satisfying my greediness, if not taste.

Badbrude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Badbrude (11)
Very Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

I've been smoking "middle of the road" blends for decades, VaPers, English blends, English Flakes, VA flakes et al. Then I stumbled upon Samuel Gawith a few years back. Sam, where have you been all my life? I purchased an array of tins, one of which was 1792. I liked all the SG varieties except this one. OMG! The strength had me reeling and the aroma was just a bit exotic for my taste. I stashed it in a cool, dark place and forgot about it.

Flash forward a year later. SG had become almost impossible to find in the States. I was aching for something new and recalled 1792. I packed a small bowl after a big dinner and tried it again. Voila! Smokes cool as a cucumber and I guess the aroma is one of those things you grow into, like well-aged brie.

It smoked cool, burning to the bottom with a white ash. The flavor is vanilla-ish but Tonquin is in a league of its own. It's now in my rotation but I'm careful to use only small bowls on a full stomach.

This is a one of a kind smoke, notwithstanding Bracken Flake, it's younger sibling. I recommend any serious pipe smoker try this exceptional product.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (61)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

50g tin. Uneven flakes with salt crystals,dark brown;presentation like loose i expect, but tinned for long shelf life.(i don't really give a shit about presentation as long as its good baccy)

Tin aroma interesting;i can see where people get the musty charity shop impression. For me it reminded me strait away of my old scout hut hall-hessian ropes,wax candles,paraffin lamps. Thinking military surplus,canvas,air cadets,damp army tent,in the fields and a peculiar old school vintage vanilla?-I like this one already.

Packing the pipe i semi rub out a flake and stuff it in. Puffing on the pipe prior to lighting is a rather meaty leather dungy affair-sort of skid-marks pants actually and mysterious.. I persevere.

Lighting up with matches i get a saltyness and playdoh factor remeniscent of Bobs Chocolate Flake minus the cocoa. Mainly getting a dark buttery virginia with maybe latakia and a herby soapy oriental and maybe some kentucky weight.

It doesn't want to light easy and perhaps it could do with a 20 minute drying preparation time or a narrower gauge bowl? Getting bored and tipping out,rubbing out and reloading,then lighting up again and purposely hyper ventilating to keep it lit,it is quite spicy up my nose. Not sure yet that its capable of being a sipper and i now just puff.

A lot of taste and maybe too much at once, Smells slightly starchy at the bowl end like when you let the iron hiss when ironing a shirt. A bracken composty earthy wilderness in the damp heath or fields springs to mind in my mouth. Damp stale combat fatigues on manuevres after a ten mile run-definately a man smell.

Boiled rice aroma and salt like par boiling your simmering rice,red kidney beans in taste. Luckily this tobacco reminds me of certain events in my life so i have other more realistic comparisons i can think of, otherwise i would have to say it does smell and taste slightly like inhaling the atmosphere in close proxmidity to the laundery basket. Certainly has a domestic dusty vacuum cleaner note to it as well. Slightly.

What it definately does remind me of is the interior atmosphere of a 1960s MOD submarine I went on once called HMS Dolphin: My neighbour was a submariner in the Royal Navy and he invited us(me ,my brother and my dad)to Portsmouth and gave us a walk round the Dolphin,Onyx and Onslaught.They were moored up along side eachother.1792 has a stale human sweatroom aroma about it and smells like a place where a bunch of soldiers or mariners have been hanging around.

Leaving the pipe and walking out of the room and revisiting after going to the bog i get an english tobacco room note which although alright for me,would probably be irritating for somebody else. Its not necessarily like a shoey/socky ammonia smell,but more of an upper body sweaty barracks smell.

Picking up the pipe again now its cooler i get the tonquin factor! I will try this in another pipe to see if i can bring more subtlety out of it. As it is ,it tastes very earthy muddy while going slow like what dunhill london mixture tastes like when going absolutely full steam ahead. I see why certain people might compare this to Nightcap (Nightcap is sweeter than this) but it tastes like London Mixture at full force to me albeit with the tonquin addition.

Yes i like it,i feel its unique,i don't regret the purchase and will probably keep some in my rotation and jar for cellaring. I like the visions and atmosphere it evokes and baccies that take me on a journey are good baccies (its why i smoke them actually)

Relighting is easier and i think this baccy would light better in the first place if i left a 1/4 inch gap at the top of the bowl for a better chimney effect.

The saltiness and all the other factors are combining to give me the Normandy Landings.

Anyway back to reality; its not really pooey at all,its just a very strong english with some human like nuances in the background. Probably not going to be an everyday smoke, but like a book on the shelf i will pick up where i left off from time to time. Probably just right for watching 'World At WAR' on the history channel with a drink of water (preferably in a genuine military issue canteen) to understand the poignant smell of 20th century human history.

Its worth 3 stars.

UPDATE an hour or so later;i feel i must add how strong the nicotine is actually,i have had a few bowls now and must say it has left me a little spun out like accute disorientation motion sickness. This is up there near the likes of the best ropes and plugs and irish flake. It definately catches up and i feel like a rest, so watch out!

Pipe Used: Yello-bole Aerograte. Falcons

Similar Blends: Peterson Irish Flake..

kidwithgun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kidwithgun (10)
Very Strong Strong Full Very Strong

I have had absolutely zero luck with this blend. I've taken to heart everything previous reviewers have advised, and I've given this blend the benefit of the doubt way too many times. The tobacco is greasy, I cannot keep it lit, it doesn't pack well for me no matter how I rub it out or what pipe I use, and maybe I'm just not ready for the Tonquin flavor, but this is absolutely the most distasteful smoke I've ever had in my mouth - and I've had some pretty nasty cigars! Wish me luck as I muscle through the rest of this tin.

Medium to Strong Very Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Wow, what a strange one? I received my tin about 9 months ago, tobacco was so wet I couldn't light it, the paper inside the tin was stained brown from the wet topping. I began the drying process and after 2 weeks the tobacco was so dry I couldn't rub out the flakes, so I rehydrated. My first pipe was a cob, and the taste was so unusual ( vanilla and Chinese 5 Spice) from the tonquin I couldn't finish it. The odd taste seemed to stay with me for days after,... sickening. Well, I resealed the tin and reopened it after 9 months. Being a glutton for punishment , I tried a second pipe full...., sickening. I'll be giving this away to someone I don't like.

Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I received a tin of this recently and have to say I find it a good smoke. I set out a couple of flakes overnight and upon rising in the late morning (I'm a night owl) I hand rubbed it out and packed a favorite pipe with it. It had a burst of flavor from the very first puff and grew in intensity as I smoked the pipe down. I really like the bottom of the bowl flavor and overall it had a sweet musty tart taste to me. I liked the room note but i could see where nonsmokers might find offense to it. It was very soft to the touch when rubbing out and has a dark oily look to it but I was surprised at how gentle it is. No bite at all and a very pleasant blend. I look forward to many more smokes of this. Not at all what i expected, not vanilla like at all, just an unusual sweetness while still tasting the tobacco.

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (67)
Overwhelming Medium to Strong Extra Full Extra Strong

1792 Flake is the nuclear bomb of pipe tobaccos. I have smoked many, many pipe blends, and nothing is even remotely as strong as 1792. This stuff will pimp-slap you back to 1792 if you try to smoke too much of it in a big bowled pipe. In the words of Ali G, "respect!"

1792 looks like strips of bicycle inner tube in the tin. It smells funky. My tin, from several years ago, smelled like rubber and old coffee. A buddy just ordered a tin, and we were both surprised that it contained a rather pleasant, sweet tin aroma, and seemed more broken than the strips of leather in my tin. I have not smoked any from this newer tin yet, so I cannot report on whether it tastes any different.

Like all Gawith flakes, the quality is second to none. You really cannot buy better quality or processed tobacco. This is as good as it gets. It rubs out nicely, takes a charring light easily, and burns coolly with a few relights down to the bottom of the bowl, if you can get there without passing out.

How does one describe the taste of 1792? Massive doses of tobacco, with the added flavor of tonquin. I cannot think of anything similar to this flavor to even offer a comparison. Maybe ouzo and coffee, mixed with chocolate (it tastes better than that sounds). If you do not smoke regularly, or are not used to large cigars, the strength of this tobacco is overwhelming. I have had to put the pipe down for a few minutes just to regain my composure before finishing bowl off. I do not exagerate. It is that strong. Read the Pipes and Tobaccos review of this blend if you think I am some beginner wussy.

This blend is singular. There is nothing else like it in the world of tobacco that I know of. It is a far cry from trying your 40th generic va blend. You owe it to yourself to have a tin on hand at all times, if for no other reason than to foist upon the unsuspecting. All hail Gawith!!!

* I have a fair bit of very old (more than 12 years) 1792, and am enjoying a bowl in a XXX Ashton Sovereign as I write this. This just keeps getting better and better. It is so smooth, yet so powerful, that I felt compelled to praise it further. The beginning of the bowl explodes with spice, and then it settles down into a smoke of almost hedonistic richness and flavor. Nothing, absolutely nothing, tastes like 1792. I was a fool to fill up a large pipe, because I am having to stop here and there to let things settle, but it is deeply satisfying. I do not think the strength lies in the nicotine alone - something magical happens with the massive dose of tonquin that this provides which puts this into a category of one. I know of no other tobacco that is so singular and profound. I do not smoke it very often, you have to be in the right mood because it truly does take you on a journey through the power that it asserts. What a fantastic, original and amazing flake.

Pipe Used: Ashton Soverign bent bulldog

Similar Blends: nothing..

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (81)
Extremely Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I'm reviewing this just for fun. I think every piper needs to try it.

On the plus side of 1792 is the fun history of the thing. The presentation (think: tin of side-bacon strips) is great, the flake is beautiful. This is probably the coolest smoking tobacco around... you can literally smoke a bowl of this without heating a pipe up at ALL, if you are careful.

On the down side (for me) is that tonquin is completely disgusting, and this stuff is soaked in it. Couple that with a huge smash of nicotine, and you've got your body conditioned to feel woozy and sick at the faintest smell of tonquin. Really Pavlovian.

I can't stand to smoke this stuff, but I LOVE it, and I LOVE that it exists. I'm hoping that my Irish Flake allows me to return to the realm of manly tobak, but at this stage, I just don't know.

Get a tin, have some fun. Make sure you eat before you smoke.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Strong Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Like caviar, like durian (a South-East Asian fruit with a detestable smell but delectable taste), like strong spirits and like tobacco itself, 1792 Flake is an acquired taste. But once acquired, the taste is a great reward. It does take determination to get past the smell, but the room-note is surprisingly pleasant and the tobacco impeccable in every way. I have smoked it at all times of the day in all seasons, and enjoyed it the most on bitterly cold evenings with a bright fire, a whisky and a thriller for company.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

What a change of pace! I read a little about tonquin before I bought this and expected to get some kind of vanilla flavor, but I don't see it.

Some people make that comparison, but to me, the taste is almost incomparable to anything I know. The smell out of the tin reminded me of brand new sneakers, and though that may repel some, I promptly put on a wide grin.

I agree that this is strong, but I didn't find it as overwhelming as some suggested. It burns beautifully and there isn't a hint of tongue bite, which I found unusual for a blend with a topping.

If you're looking for a tobacco with a unique taste and a strong full bodied hit--this is all you.

Very Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

WOW!!! You don't smoke something like that everyday! This stuff is intense. The nicotene will straight up punch you in the face if you're not ready for it! The strength is up there with Royal Yacht and the flavor although similiar to the same is stronger here. And you know what? I love it. This is a bold tobacco that takes no prisoners. Either you'll love it or you'll never touch it again. Either way it will only take about two seconds to figure it out. I find the tonquin bean flavoring to be exceptional, and the Virginia base superb. It smokes very cool and left no moisture in my pipe. SG started selling this in tins and I need to try it. If it is anything like the bulk form, I will have to cellar some tins. I alternate this and Royal Yacht as my end of the road smoke in the evening and it never gets tiring. And really- There's only tobacco in the mix!

pxi106 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pxi106 (18)
Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have finally found my "last smoke" tobacco. You know, "Let my last breath be inhaled from a pipe (of 1792)...." Sorry, Mr. Lamb.

Anyway, on the initial light I could tell. Pleasant Tonquin flavoring, strong but still letting the tobacco through. Blast of strength on the back of your throat.

I'm in love. Strength, pleasant flavoring, cool burning, slow burning, semi-pleasant aroma. Good stuff. Also, economical considering the actual amount needed to produce the desired effects.

In short, smoke it. If you don't like it, send it to me!

Grundie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grundie (26)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

Like the other reviewers here I have to agree, this is one strong tobacco and is to be handled with care. The tobacco is quite sticky and oily and messes up your hands as you rub it out, I've never had this with any other flake I've smoked.

It is is easy to pack, but due to it's stickyness once you press it down it doesn't spring up like other tobaccos so pack it carefully. If you pack it too tightly, all you can do is empty the bowl and start again.

It's easy to light and right from the first puff you know you are dealing with one strong concoction. The smoke is very thick and creamy and you can almost feel texture in the smoke with your tongue. There is serious nictine aplenty here, don't inhlae this stuff or you might go blind.

The flavour is unmistakable virginia and quite strong it is too, but the orientals add a pleasant edge to it. There is a very mild sweetness to it, with overtones of cinamon and is that honeyness I can sense, hmm nice!

Despite the strength of this blend, I got no tongue bite and found it very cool burning. I suspect however a poorly filled pipe would be a different kettle of fish and you quite bad bite would result. Stick to small bowls and puff slowly, less ye shall go off on a mad nicotine rush.

Pops Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pops Pipe (17)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a love it or hate it tobacco, i hate it because i despise tonquin, but i will try to be fair here. If this had no tonquin it would be a nice sweet, rich flake, full of virginia goodness. It smokes cool and dry and doesnt bite but i just cant take tonquin. There's burley and/ or kentucky in this flake as well which adds to its richness and stregnth. This would be good flake minus the tonquin. Im not into Lakelands much but id rather have the floral qualities than tonquin. If you like tonquin you will enjoy this flake if not stay clear.

Pipe Used: Basket Briar, took awhile to get that ghost out !

Napping Puppy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Napping Puppy (25)
Extremely Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This flake is all about nicotine might with a not-to-be-underestimated congruence in taste. However, taste wise, I consider Irish Flake and Royal Yacht to be better players than this one.

I do not feel that such an excessively huge amount of nicotine is necessary in any sort of flake in the first place, even for the most experienced smoker. Too, the more-than-usual flavoring on this flake crosses the limits of Gawith's natural tobacco standard as that represented by, for instance, Full Virginia Flake. Nonetheless, this flake deserves three stars.

OhioTony76 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OhioTony76 (24)
Extremely Strong Strong Very Full Tolerable

This is a heavy aromatic in my opinion. I can't taste anything but the strong topping. It's like a cheap vanilla and flower perfume that spilled in the bottom of your grandma's purse. I don't think this stuff would get dry if you smoked it on the surface of the sun. Why is it totally black? Honestly, did they smoke this or chew it back in 1792? This could ruin a briar pipe after a few bowls and the amount of N is unreal. I hate to waste tobacco but I think I'm going to toss this in the garbage.

Similar Blends: Grandma's perfume. Vanilla hand lotion. Car air freshener..

AnthoDN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AnthoDN (1)
Strong Medium Full Pleasant

Open tin : nice spicy smell ! Flakes seem to be too wet... However after 1h outside the tin it s perfect. Enough dry to rolls it without breaking it...

Pipe stating : fire takes two matches and start well !

First smoke : very cloudy and smooth with nice and complete flavors.

Aftertaste : creamy spicy almost sherry...

Bad points : nic kick too strong according to my taste...

Result : superb but too strong for me. In my point of view this tobacco is an after diner pleasure...

Pipe Used: Heather butz choquin medium size

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Le roi du cigare Bruxelles

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (111)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The flavor statement from the vendor rings true to this smoker. I found this to be a delightfully favored Virginia blend. Full bodied, with a delight full room note, this is sure to pleas.

crapgame1967 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crapgame1967 (55)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

This was my first experience with a flake tobacco when I was about 16 or 17 and I hated it then.. and still do! This is what I thought about it then because I had a tobacco diary that I started when I bought my first pipe to make notes about each one I smoked. I bought this because i never had a flake before and I thought it would be really cool to "Rub Out" my tobacco before I smoked it. So at this young age my impressions are as follows...This is old tree bark peeled off a rotten log and put in a tin with church incense! Not only was I repulsed by the incense taste..For the life of me I couldn't break..rub...whittle.. or freaking puree the tobacco so I could properly smoke it in my pipe! Twenty-five years later I decided to try this again when it appeared at my door in a box pass! I still quite never figured out how to "rub out" a flake so I tried again to break this up into something I could smoke. The result was utter and total failure! I had to dump the tobacco out to rub and grind it into something I could smoke and once I did....wait here it comes...IT WAS FREAKING WORSE than I remember! All I tasted was church incense burning with some wet corn silk! That day I vowed to NEVER smoke that again or any other tobacco with that AWFUL incense flavor! The only good memory from this experience I have is that I used a cheap basket pipe for this and had no regrets tossing the pipe and tobacco into my best friends fireplace one evening!

Pipe Used: no name basket

Purchased From: local tobacconist

Swiss-smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Swiss-smoker (62)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

It says *flake”, but these almost black flakes are so loose, velvety and fluffy that it is much more a Broken Flake Cut, very easy to rub out. On opening a new tin, first you get a slap on the face by a strong flavour of tonka bean. Since Samuel Gawith tobaccos are usually soaking wet, I rub it out to a Ribbon Cut and spread it out for drying overnight. This will also help to tame the strong smell of the added flavouring.

This mixture consists of Virginia and Kentucky only. Here “Kentucky” being dark-fired Burley from Tanzania. According to the producer this mixture has been flavoured with tonka bean, and sometimes other sources mention Whisky flavour, too. This mixture is strong, but not overly. No beak-pecking sharpness or tongue-burns. High nic-hit. Excellent smoking mechanics in any respect.

Smoking this mixture is a totally different story, than smelling this stuff! Virginia is the backbone of this blend. They are robust with aromas mainly of yeast, bread, grass and hay. The Kentucky is more difficult to isolate. It’s welcome because it donates power, spice and some nutty, earthy notes to the blend. The tonka bean flavouring is far away from being as obvious as in tin. It’s actually mellow and pleasant, not obtrusive at all, especially after the blend has been aired considerably. And I am normally scared away by Aromatics, dreadful Lakeland essences, flavourings and toppings. May be this mixture is the exception to the rule.

I cannot find a single trace of Whisky flavour, if there is any at all. There is ample sweetness around, either from the Virginias, from the tonquin flavouring or from a sweet topping. It has not been overdone, though. It’s a robust, tasteful mixture, leading into depth to a certain extend. The aromas are not intriguing in the first half of the bowl, but they enhance pleasantly in the second half of the bowl. I get the impression of smoking two very different blends. Delicious room note. Interesting experience. However, this mixture is not really my pair of shoes.

Age When Smoked: New, out of the tin.

Purchased From: Internetshop of “Synjeco’s Pipe Smoker’s Haven”, Brissago, Switzerland.

Rob73 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rob73 (77)
Strong Strong Full Pleasant

Strong hints of chocolate and an exaggerated strength. I expected some Kendal scent that I don't feel. I don't say it's a bad blend, but it's far from my taste. 2,5/5 in my personal rating system.

Purchased From: Noli, Milano (Italy)

cynicomen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cynicomen (5)
Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I had heard a lot about this tobacco, mainly regarding its strength and its unique topping. It sounded like something I would enjoy so I picked it up. Before we get into this, I have to say I did not taste the topping at all. I don't know if this was because of how I prepared it (rubbed out) or it's age (I had the unopened tin for about a year) but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't taste any flavouring.

Tin:

As soon as you smell this tobacco, you know it's going to be a strong one. The main things I could smell was the dark fired leaf and the Virginias. There is a slight smokeyness and a sweetness to the tobacco. Smells similar to Irish Flake. The tonquin gives it a slight musky, soapy scent.

Packing/lighting:

This was one of the biggest problems I had with this tobacco. This comes very, very moist, and you must let it dry out enough to smoke. If you don't, you won't be able to keep it lit. I rubbed it out to a perfect ribbon cut that smoked perfectly. This was also one of the coolest smoking Virginias I have ever had, no tongue bite or any similar issues.

Strength:

This blend is notorious for its strength, and rightly so. When you're about a quarter down the bowl, you can feel a tingle at the back of your throat, and it only gets stronger and more full bodied as you work your way down the bowl. When you're near the bottom of the bowl, even small sips will be plumes of thick, rich smoke. This is where the "mellowness" of the blend comes in. Although it is powerful, it is not harsh in the slightest. Take people's advice and do not smoke on an empty stomach.

Taste/Room note:

It's dark, rich, and full flavoured. It's nutty, toasty, and earthy, which leads me to believe this blend is predominately dark fired leaf. There's slight grassy notes and a hint of sweetness from the Virginias. The flavour doesn't really change throughout the smoke, it is somewhat one-dimensional, but not unpleasant. This blend will go very well with a strong coffee, tea, or scotch/whiskey.

As for the tonquin flavouring, everyone talks about how strong it is, but for some reason I can't taste it. Despite this, it is detectable in the room note, and is surprisingly pleasant for such a strong tobacco. Without it, the aroma would definitely be more powerful, which leads me to believe the flavouring is only for the aroma.

Final thoughts:

According to Samuel Gawith, 1792 is their best selling flake, and it's not hard to see why. To me, this is as close to a perfect tobacco as you can get. It's strength and taste are awesome and it has a surprisingly pleasant room note for something so "in your face". If you're a fan of full-bodied tobaccos, you will not be disappointed. It is a pipe smoker's dream. If for some reason you absolutely can't stand the topping, Samuel Gawith offer an unscented version of 1792 called Lakeland Dark. (Which I will definitely try some time)

Like: The taste, the aroma, the strength, everything.

Dislike: The fact you have to dry this out so much takes away from the experience somewhat. Also, like most strong blends, it's a very dry smoke.

Pipe Used: Golden Pipe No. 57 (pear wood pipe from Poland)

Age When Smoked: 1 Year

Purchased From: smoke-king.co.uk

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Lakeland Dark, Peterson - Irish Flake.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (51)
Strong Strong Very Full Very Strong

Although I do not smoke many aromatics I have found I very much enjoy Lakeland scented flakes. I first tried This in 2004 and so far it is my favorite. I would smoke this everyday if people would stop hoarding it and it were more readily available in bulk! Bracken was a reasonable substitute but alas, they quit making it a couple of years ago. I have a tin of Lakeland Dark coming to try. . . Anyway, I love 1792. Funny, but it was the negative reviews that prompted me to try this thinking, "Oh, come on, guys. It can't be that bad." Were I to be interred as a pharaoh when I shuffle off this mortal coil I would want to be buried with a quantity of 1792 to accompany me in the afterlife. It's THAT good!

Pipe Used: Savinelli Bing's; Kaywoodie Suntan.

Purchased From: Wherever i can find it.

Similar Blends: Peterson Irish Flake; Bracken Flake, Peterson Perfect Plug..

The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Sunday Evening Pipe Smoker (41)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

So first of all a caveat. This is my first go at what most have classified as a "strong" blend. So take that into consideration.

If what you are after is a "fuller" experience with a fair bit of "zing" then I think you'll like this blend. For myself personally, I found the second half of the bowl more enjoyable than the first half, perhaps just because my taste buds had adapted to the strength of this by then.

Definitely noticed the nic-hit on this one to say the least (it felt like I had just downed 3 glasses of red wine!), so again, if that's what you're looking for, this might be a good blend for you.

Gawith blends are known for being moist apparently (I haven't much experience with them sadly as the blends are harder to get), and I dried this one out for about 2 hours before lighting, but I did find I had to frequently re-light the first half of the bowl a number of times. The second half of the bowl proved less an issue that way.

The blend almost tasted like it had some perique to it, though there is none listed. Again, likely just the strength coming out that I'm not accustomed to. I didn't really catch much in the way of Virginia sweetness, but that may be my inexperience in detecting that, and again, no doubt I was more focused on the overall strength of the blend. I'd characterize the overall flavour as being lightly sour with some sweetness in the background.

Overall here's what I'd say:

It's not what I'd personally want for a -regular- part of my rotation as I tend to like more of a medium strength, smokey-sweet sort of blend, but I wasn't turned off by it either. (At first I thought I was, but the second half of the bowl appealed much more to me. For that reason I'm looking forward to a second bowl of this to see how I will react now that I better know what to exect)

If I was after something a bit stronger, a bit different, or wanted a bit of that nicotine hit, I could see myself going to this for a change from my usual rotatin. We'll see how that second bowl goes, but I could see myself picking up a tin of this to have on hand just for when that mood struck.

I'd go 2.5 stars on this, but purely on personal taste and purely because I wouldn't put this in my normal rotation, but I also would exclude it from my jars of open tobacco to dip into now and again. I can easily understand how someone looking for a nic hit and the strong flavour could rate this 3 or 3.5 stars.

DandyMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DandyMan (4)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Not a massive fan of the flavoring, but love the taste and intensity. Hellish to keep lit. Now... can't wait to try SG 's Lakeland Dark!

Sybariten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sybariten (60)
Strong Very Mild Very Full Strong

This one was tricky, I had to smoke two tins to decide if I liked it or not. Getting a hang of how dry it wants to be and how much rubbing it needs was the key, and I have found myself a keeper. Complex, full and strong this is the perfect evening smoke. Beginners be warned, this is very potent.

Taste: A deep, dark and spicy flavour greets me at first light. The added topping is there, but it does not as much steal the show as smoothen out the presentation. The result is amazing, a rich and creamy smoke with lots of leather, pepper and earth but with that added sweetness lingering in the background. It is not quite vanilla, more herb-like - and that is something I greatly enjoy, Crooner from Cornell & Diehl is one of my absolute favorites. This is nothing like the deer tongue in Crooner, but still it has that organic flavour that a lot of aromatics lack. The added flavour gradually recedes as the bowl progresses, leaving the dark side of the tobacco in charge in all its glory.

Mechanics: Comes as thick slabs of flake that looks like chips of wood. Too thick to fold, these need some serious rubbing, and like all Gawith blends some serious drying. It will require relights, but it burns cool to a fine ash and it does not bite. Nicotine is strong. Very strong.

Pipe Used: Cobs and briars

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith Lakeland dark, with topping.

Timelysmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Timelysmoker (5)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Note I did't actually get round to smoking this, the aroma of the tobacco is so strong.

I ordered a sample along with another 5 tobaccos and could smell this before opening the envelope.

It smells like bubblegum. Perhaps it's because I only smoke non-aromatics, and I thought I should try this given the reviews, but the smell is so overwhelming I can't bring myself to actually light it.

Update I took up the courage to smoke this in an old Falcon pipe. Very different from the Lakeland flake this uses as a base; cocoa, mild earthy flavour.

And I am hugely impressed. If the unlit aroma is overwhelming for you, leave it for a few weeks. Supremely cool smoke, can puff like the proverbial locomotive and it won't bit; nor will the pipe get hot.

Nice nicotine hit too. I prefer to the unflavoured Lakeland Dark, but this is well worth a try,

Pipe Used: Peterson

Steve K Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steve K (3)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable

Whoa... I really like this. I quit cigs 3 months ago so I do not feel the N hit. But I do love the powerful taste and aroma!

Update: Now 7 months from quitting cigs. I just finished lunch. Loaded Vauen New York with rubbed out flake... whoa, I really feel the nic hit. Having said, I really like it still. I don't find the tonka bean overpowering.

Pipe Used: various (ChaCom and a Vauen New York)

Age When Smoked: out of the tin (OOTT)

Purchased From: Cigars and Pipes

Similar Blends: Not really sure there is a brother or sister to this!.

noquarter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
noquarter (23)
Strong Strong Medium Pleasant

Very nice and flavourful tobacco. I for one love the tin aroma,its ike sweet chocolate candy. Very sweet. May require a few relights in the first quarter of the bowl which I do not mind at all. The flavors are definitely there which may be a little too much to some. Must be sipped like a fine whiskey to get the nicest flavors. I smoke this in a group 2ish kaywoodie drinkless and it's just amazing.

Similar Blends: Sweeter version of Irish flake.

Corey Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corey Mac (9)
Strong Strong Full Pleasant

"It starts as 7 lbs. of hand stripped leaf and goes through a steaming process prior to being pressed. The cake, having been prepared, is wrapped in a select leaf and packed by hand into a 12 inch square. This cake is pressed and left for a minimum of two hours. Then, the pressed cake is placed into a steam press where it is baked at full heat for two to three hours. The baked cake has then taken on 1792's characteristic rich, dark color. It's hardening occurs during cooling. Once the process of cutting the flake and adding a tonquin flavor is carried out, hand wrapping and packing finalizes 1792."

Whoa! That's pretty cool!!

I ordered my tin from smokingpipes.com the beginning of January, it was backordered, which created a kinda fun atmosphere, due to the energy of anticipation! I was excited to try another classic from the super historic Samuel Gawith and would look at the reviews on this site in anticipation of trying this flake out for myself.

I have become, as of late, a huge fan of SG and the Lakeland style itself, having found that it's reputed floral profile doesn't disagree with me at all. So far Full Virginia Flake, Squadron Leader and St. James flake have become fast favorites of mine. The quality of Samuel Gawith tobaccos is legendary and I have affirmed that popular sentiment for myself time and time again!

To 1792 Flake. I got my tin and used a quarter to pop the seal. I wasn't sure what to expect from the Tonquin Bean topping added to the flake even though I've read many of the reviews, because as many of you know, whatever you've been told, nothing trumps your own experience.

This stuff is supper unctuous! It's fatty, oily, herbal, faintly vanilla, Christmassy, root beer, Dr. Pepper, cedar profile blew me away! At first I wasn't sure if I should throw my hands in the air in rejoice or if it was gonna make me vomit!! It took me a few seconds to process the complexity of the tin aroma, but it didn't take long for it to grow on me. I remember sitting there in front off the TV and continually opening up the tin to smell it, because I would think I had figured it out and then each time would go back unsure of what I just smelled. Be prepared if you decide to get a tin of this stuff, it's pretty unique smelling!

Rubbed out fairly easy. With Samuel Gawith stuff, flakes in perticular, you gotta dry it out a bit first! Lights easy, stays lit well. Less bite than some of the other flakes I've tried. I usually smoke Samuel Gawith flakes in particular out of a corn cob pipe. I find that they preserve the original flavor of the tobacco and absorb moisture very, very well.

The Tonquin bean flavor comes out nicely in the smoke. It has what I can only describe as a ripe flavor. All of the complexities in the tin aroma seem present in the smoke, but are blended together and kinda play off of one another! Also the topping doesn't seem to take too much away from the tobacco flavor. People have said that the nicotine in this can knock you off your feet. I didn't really experience that per say, but it's heavier in nicotine than most other tobaccos I've smoked. I don't find it much stronger than Dunhill Royal Yacht though. The Kentucky lends a fullness to the flake and the Virginia has that unique Samuel Gawith profile, sort of a banana leaves, lettuce, toasty, rotting fall foliage thing to it. I know, I know, that sounds weird, but the quality and depth of character of SG Virginias are second to none!

All in all this flake is extremely unique and certainly will not be everyone's cup of tea. I'm not even sure it's mine, but I respect this blend for being super complex and of very, very high quality! I like it, but I like it how I like pâté or black truffles, they're certainly good, but not something you may want to have every day!

Pipe Used: MM George Washington

Age When Smoked: Fresh as a daisy

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Similar Blends: Singular in many, many ways.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco is one of a kind, very particular, a special one. Everyone should try it. If you like English mixtures, perique, straight Virginia, cavendish or flavored blend, well, this is completly another thing but you have to try it. For me this is not my favourite blend, but – anyway - this is a great tobacco. Simply unique! The declared content is dark – fired leaf with Tonquin flavor. Probably there is dark Virginia fire cured and Kentucky. The mixture is enhanced with Tonquin Bean flavor and perhaps some alcohol. A natural flavored mixture. This blend likes or doesn’t like but if you are a pipe smoker taste it. You’ll test something new. In my personal system rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 8 and three stars.

aksamolsa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aksamolsa (20)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

After 3 tins I can say, this one is much more like a manly fragrance. Tonka beans smells so good when you open the box, flakes looks like appetizers to me that I thought of eating them! Anyways, it is a bit hard to prepare for the pipe. If you can handle the moisture left in the tobacco, it burns quite slow and cool. But you can not, then have to light it every minute and start to get big pufs which is extremely exhausting and overwhelming with nicotine. Be careful about that. I have learnt to enjoy this fully after the second tin, and I love it now. You will be fulfilled with all the nicotine you wanted, with extreme pleasure of smoking. I prefer to smoke it with rather small pipes.

ing.poparadu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ing.poparadu (14)
Extremely Strong None Detected Full Strong

If you are searching for a nicotine buzz, look no further.

I think the perfect phrase to sum up Samuel Gawith's 1792 Flake is :

"The Force is strong in this one"

Pipe Used: DK 84

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Flintliddon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flintliddon (1)

I'm not good at describing tasting notes. It's a Virginia with some Latakia. I liked the taste. Not harsh. The nicotine was fairly strong which I like. That's about all I can come up with. I'm the same with wines, cognacs etc. sorry.

Pipe Used: Tsuge, Comoy Blue Riband, Dunhill estate.

Age When Smoked: 49

Purchased From: The Briary in Homewood, Al.

Similar Blends: I've only seen one other review that mentioned the problems that I encountered. When I could get it to stay lit I really enjoyed this tobacco. All of Gawith's tobaccos are too much trouble. Without drying the consistency was like loading my pipe with soft beef jerky. And it absolutely will not light. So I tried drying it upon recommendation. That in and of itself is a hassle. But I tried. And it took a light much easier. But wouldn't STAY lit. This tobacco wore me out. When it smoked I really enjoyed it very much but I won't be buying it again and will give away the rest of what I have..

Ig88 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ig88 (9)
Strong Medium Full Strong

When I think of my 1st true pipe experience, it comes to down to this blend. This blend reminds me of the first time learning how to drive. You start off very careful and nervous and by the end of the bowl I felt like I could win NASCAR. My first introduction into a new world of 'lakeland' tobaccos. Huge amounts of smoke and overall great taste. This is a blend that either you 'get' or you 'get sick'. This is usually one of my go-to blends when I get the time. This is not a good blend if you wife has the nose of a bloodhound. You will smell like a cigar shop.

Halford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Halford (4)
Very Strong Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

My impressions were pretty much the same as the rest. It packs a wallop of the N-factor, and appeals very much to those that like tonquin. I have admired the odor of sweet woodruff growing in the garden, and is also a flavoring used in the German "May wine", a dry white wine flavored of woodruff. Coumarin is the active principle of flavor in tonquin as well, so I gave 1792 a try... Oh my.... gotta be careful with this one! I still have the tin, and occasionally use it as a condiment to a bowl of straight virgina. It is impressive, yet the tonquin is a bit more than I would care for in this concentration. No fault to this tobacco. But this piper prefers subtlety within quiet strength.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Author

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

ZJon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ZJon (1)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a potent blend! Like the other S G blends I've tried, you need to dry this out before you load and light. The flavor is complex and deep, but good for all day.

Pipe Used: m&t bulldog

Purchased From: Edwards Tobacco, Littleton CO

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (80)
Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased a few ounces of the bulk flake that was sent in a zip lock bag. This must make a difference because my experience has been very different than most reviewers. For me the bulk flakes do not present any "blast of flavor" or strong smell when opened. To the nose and when smoked it is very reminiscent of Royal Yacht only, if anything, toned down. The flakes were initially moist and but now that they've sat in the bag for several months are the perfect moisture level. I smoke these well rubbed out. The taste is difficult to describe but I consistently get a not quite sweet VA in front and some darker Burley with some mild top dressing that melds into the tobacco flavor. Overall a very smooth and creamy experience that builds as you go and is best smoked very slowly. My everyday smoke is Havana Daydream: with every puff I get several different flavors. With 1792 I get a quality straight up tobacco flavor with a little something mysterious on top, not monochromatic but simpler than I am used to. I have to say I really like this.

Recommendations: (A) let it dry. 30 minutes won't do it. (B) buy the bulk flakes, they've breathed and the topping will be toned down several notches (C) if you're worried about vitamin N, do a smaller bowl and eat first. (D) try it, at least as a point of reference. A very strong 3 stars.

Age When Smoked: At various ages

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

Perdurabo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perdurabo (23)
Very Strong Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After Discovering Lakeland tobaccos through Ennerdale, I had to try this Tonquin Powerhouse.

Very Complex Dark vanilla, with smokey burley and a very heavy nicotine hit. 1792 Flake profiles Tonquin Bean as a center stage beast. The flavors range from espresso to Dark AntiqueVanilla. The Kentucky smoothes the flavors of the Tonquin Bean giving a very creamy earthy smoke.

Every time I smoke 1792 Flake I find different flavors that pop out. This is a brilliantly made tobacco. Every pipe smoker should dedicate a pipe to this tobacco.

1792 flake has a permanent spot in my rotation.

Pipe Used: Cobb

Age When Smoked: 1 Year

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Cumarinophil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cumarinophil (105)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

SG 1792 Dark Kendal Flake is as strong as Peterson Irish Flake to me. It also provides that deep roasted earthiness, except the almost creamy sweetness is obviously enhanced by the tonquin treatment. Very pleasant.

During the lighting process I additionally get the impression of pepper and spice, leading to an immediate piquant feeling in the entire mouth. If you can stand your ground for a couple of calm draws, you’ll be rewarded with a rustic, unique flavor. Due to the definite nicotine kick, I prefer this flake rubbed out, out of a small cob filled ¼ with meerschaum pellets as some kind of pipe-espresso.

Pipe Used: Various briars, cob

Purchased From: http://www.tecon-gmbh.de

JosephJames Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JosephJames (12)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable

Over 20 years of pipe smoking, this has to be my all time favorite and I just got around to trying it recently. This is not an aromatic and it is not an English. Instead it is a wonderful, strong and tasty tobacco. I cannot recommend this enough.

I have to echo some of the other reviewers on this tobacco-earthy, hard to keep lit but very tasty. I find the drier tobacco not as flavorful as the moist. It is well worth having to light a few times.

The tonquin flavor is abundant but doesn't drown out the flavor of the Virginia.

Pipe Used: Nording

Purchased From: Pipes Ltd.

Similar Blends: Nothing I know of..

Sentul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sentul (12)
Strong Mild Mild Tolerable

This tobacco is of excellent quality and a first class smoke but I have reservations about it.

It is a little damp out of the tin on first opening but rubs out OK and after a couple of relights burns well.

It is as the reviews I read here before I bought it a good strong solid tobacco.

The smoke is lovely, rich and creamy but I found something was missing.

The flavour is somewhat monotone and boring and after a while nothing at all until you get around half way to two thirds down the bowl and then you can taste the tonquin casing as it starts kicking in properly but by then it's already too late and the toqquin starts to taste terrible at the end of the pipe.

This tobacco seems to me stuck in the middle of nowhere, with nowhere to go.

It is an excellent full strength tobacco, with lovely creamy velevety smoke with no bite as most strong tobaccos are but apart from the Nicotine hit, I found nothing else there compared to other strong twists and flakes and plugs and mixtures on the market which are in my opinion far superior.

Excellent tobacco but no character, the tonquin comes in way too late, even if you like tonquin alone without the other Lakeland flavours, so I really wonder what I'm smoking.

If all you want is a good strong Nicotine hit for sure you'll get one here from the moment you light your pipe up but for a smoke with character I'd look elsewhere, there are far better tobaccos on the market with the same strength and stronger and much more character than this one has.

If you want a good quality, strong tobacco, it's definitely worth a try but personally I'll look elsewhere for my N+ hit.

EDIT .... I'm downgrading this, it's a good quality tobacco and smokes well, the smoke is cool, thick and luxurious but absolutely boring. If the N+ doesn't send me to sleep then the boredom of smoking it will.

I've resigned it to mixing with other less strong tobaccos to lift their Lady N hit.

Just tried it in some Merryval Likrish I bought, just because I used to love liquorice as a kid and it's worked wonders for that.

The Merryval Likrish was missing Lady N and the 1792 flavourless flake is providing it, the mix is delicious, whereas both two tobaccos alone were not so.

Sacrilege it may seem to use a quality tobacco like 1792 this way but needs must.

Sorry Sam but I won't be buying your 1792 Flake again unless I need a strong bland tobacco to lift the Lady N in another.

A Scot in Argentina Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A Scot in Argentina (13)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I bought a tin of this in Buenos Aires back in early November along with several other well known SG blends namely their Navy Flake and Full Virginia flake. Being familiar with their excellent Full Virginia the 1792 Flake has been a bit of a disappointment for me. On opening the tin the smell overpowered me in a pleasant way I have to say.....obviously the tonquin in it. My first mistake was trying to smoke it straight away before allowing it time to dry out although to be fair mine wasn't too wet. Rubbing it out proved to be hard work due to the thickness and tough texture of the flake although it did give off some wonderful aromas. I eventually filled the bowl and gave it a charring light then got to work on it properly. Well after so many going outs and relights I got kind of fed up with it to be honest so couldn't give it a fair review....I decided to leave it for a while before trying again. After weeks of regularly opening the tin just to smell it...it's that good I thought I'd give it another go. I'm afraid to say the experience wasn't much improved from the first. I did manage to keep it lit this time but with so much puffing involved I didn't find it a very relaxing smoke.

I've tried again several times since, I want to love it but I'm afraid I don't have the patience. The aroma is super but the taste I find disappointing. I shall continue to have the odd bowl now and again just to use it up but in my opinion their Full Virginia Flake is a far better and more relaxing experience.

Pipe Used: Falcon

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)
Overwhelming Strong Full Tolerable

I tried this many years ago before I knew anything about the flavor additive, Tonquin. This is, to me, a very strong aromatic flake and I find the flavor not to be of natural tobacco but of this additive. I do not like this at all, in fact, it makes me nauseated. Now this could be the flavor profile or that it simply is overwhelmingly strong in the nicotine content...not sure. I like other offerings by SG, but this one does not do it for me at all. For those of you who like this flavoring and enjoy a stout smoke, give it a try. MJSAPY

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Age When Smoked: New Tin

Ambush1964 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ambush1964 (17)
Very Strong Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

I tried this for the second time after it had been in a mason jar for about six months. Let me tell you, mason jars work, as the tobacco was still very moist. Silly me, I rubbed it out slightly and stuffed it in my pipe. Too wet, I could't keep it lit and I didn't want to pull on it too hard for fear of the N hit....I'm a lightweight. Anyway, it was ok when it was burning and I'm glad I used a small pipe. Even when dragging this to burn, it did not bite. I think I need to try drying it out..alot....and give it another go. I think it could be good, but I won't smoke it inside again. My advice....dry it and try it 😀

Pipe Used: Small Cardiff 1/8 bent dublin stack

Age When Smoked: 6 Months

beercritic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beercritic (33)
Extremely Strong Medium to Strong Full Very Strong

Based on reviews, I bought half a pound of this. Didn't care for it. Came back 4 months later. Wow! I'm not getting the whisky taste, but the "slickers" Southfield makes me want to try adding vanilla tobacco. I decided to order a pound, and P&C offered 20% off everything that day. Blissful Nicotine Buzz. Hey, alkaloids are great for your brain, right? This stuff is kicking my butt. Yay!

Pipe Used: Greybow Savoy

Purchased From: P&C

nekeke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nekeke (19)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

Well, first of all let me say that, I am still a novice regarding pipe tobaccos, so I will not be saying fancy words or discussing the origins of the tobacco. I will state however, that I have tried my share of many European tobaccos, some of them I reviewed here, some of them I did not fancy enough, to talk about. Let me say that, from dozens of different European origin tobaccos, only two have really caught my attention (I generally prefer Turkish tobaccos, which has nothing to do with my natonality/yesi I am Turkish) First one was Dunhill My mixture, and the second one is this, 1792 flake. Let me also state that I personally prefer strong tobaccos but I also like strong flavour. Until I smoked this one, I have almost given up the idea that both could be found in the same tobacco. Well, I was wrong. This is a wonderful, wonderful taste. If anyone out there like, what I like (nicote, strong taste, strong flavour) please try this one, you won't regret it. Oh, I read here, that some people said, "you can not lit the tobacco"... I have opened the tin, rolled the tobacco in my fingers, stuffed it in, and lit it perfectly. So, that is not very true... Have tasted nearly all Samuel Gawiths. This one is in another category entirely. Well done...

Pipe Used: Nording free hand

Preacher Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Preacher Pipes (8)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a few ounces of this bulk about a year ago. It is a tad on the damp side but can be smoked as-is or with a bit if dry time equally well.

My initial bowls were not very pleasing; the flavoring was too much for my taste. So I ended up jarring it up and forgetting about it for several months. I know that most aromatics don't improve with age, but this one did at least for me. The flavoring mellowed and settled into tobacco very nicely after a few months of jar time. I now find this a very pleasant blend that I expect I will buy again.

As for the nicotine strength, I am not much affected by most lands. This one, to me, did not seem overly strong. However, as I stated, I don't often find myself being greatly affected by nicotine content in any blend so YMMV.

Pipe Used: MM Legend, Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: 9-10 months

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

honestly i not enjoy this blend at my 1st bowl, i dont like the taste and the flavor and feel quite strange for me. But after try it again at my 2nd and 3rd time, i started to like this blend. I just i can says one word about this blend ; "complicated".

tomspeed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomspeed (23)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Extra Full Very Pleasant

I Love all kind of traditional and pure tobacco, 1972 is my favorite tobacco. really great strong and lovely tobacco with super nice smell, but this is the tobacco with full Strength and high nicotine effection. so pretty for real pipe smokers and not recommended for beginners ;) I LOVE IT

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (44)
Very Strong Medium Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

Just...can't...do it! I've been trying and trying this flake, but the only way I could make it work was by mixing it with some much lighter fare like Orlik's Golden Slices. The smell and flavor of the tonquin bean are very nice, but I couldn't enjoy it because of the overwhelming strength of the smoke. As I read the description and other people's reviews I find myself once again tempted to give it another go solo. But, probably not this year.

UPDATE 5/3/13

I've just finished the first bowl of this that I enjoyed. I think that a little age and drying made some difference, but mostly my tolerance for tobacco strength. I'm upping a star.

Update 7/29/13

I enjoy this most in a very small clay. I'm happy to find a use for my Elizabethan clay pipe and this very strong tobacco.

FlatCapMatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FlatCapMatt (35)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Full Very Strong

I purchased a sample of 1792 Flake, and my tobacconist told me it would put hair on my chest. He was right, I'm now a bloody wolfman.

I'm an aromatic kind of pipe smoker, who dabbles in English blends. I had to try this one after reading some reviews. My pipe smoking hobby would never be complete without trying 1792.

I rubbed some out and put it into my Kaywoodie, which I use a lot for English blends. Right away I got a peppery feeling in my mouth, something I've only had before once when I tried Peterson's Irish Oak.

I've just put my pipe down, and I haven't felt ill or dizzy. (yet)

I don't particularly like the taste, the strength or the room note.

My analogy for 1792 Flake is this: It is like sipping a whiskey, whereas an aromatic is like sipping a cider. You don't do 1792 for the flavour.

I started pipe smoking for the flavours and aromas, and this doesn't suit me at all.

I imagine this one is more for the hardcore, the nicotine addicts, and anyone who needs to feel more manly in front of other men. My 1 star rating is not an indication that it is a BAD tobacco, it just reflects that it is the opposite of tobaccos that I personally enjoy.

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)
Strong Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Not bad. Not great. I love the strong stuff, but this just leaves with me a feeling of "meh" taste wise. The tonquin bean flavoring is certainly unique and after a month since opening the tin, its taken on a slight vanilla smell to it. Either way, I think I'm going to let this one age a bit more. As it is now, I'll pass.

Elijah Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elijah (1)
Extremely Strong Very Strong Very Full Very Strong

My First review for this tobacco was on 2012-08-17.

Novice in pipe smoking, this tobacco was truly ugly in all aspects. Having said that, the tin which was then opened and closed was reopened after two years, and being a more experienced smoker I believe I have learned to appreciate this flake more.

I wouldn't recommend this flake to a novice smokes, or anyone who like mild tastes. Also, the nicotine level of this tobacco will hit you right in the stomach after a few puffs.

Although based on Virginia/Burley, the Tanzanian leaf takes over. It's unique, strong and rare - no other tobacco I have tasted has this characteristic and taste.

If you like the extra full taste, need vitamin N, and don't give a damn about people in the room (who will complain! This isn't a friendly tobacco!) this is a very good smoke with strong flavoring.

Finally, I found this flake to blend very nicely with milder tobaccos

Brother Of The Leaf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brother Of The Leaf (8)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

If you're anything short of an experienced pipe smoker stay away from this weed. It will punch you right in the gut, bash you over the head with a lead pipe, and leave you crying in the fetal position completely and utterly emasculated. This stuff smells of a bad blend of chocolate, leather, dirty socks, an old lady's favorite perfume, and hamster shavings. Rubbing this flake out will leave your hands coated in a green fog. Keeping it lit is near impossible, as this stuff seems to require the fiery lakes of hell itself to stay lit. It tastes of semi-sweet chocolate and a bit of leather. If you dare to venture into this tobacco's lair you may find yourself coming out pleased, as I did, or you may find yourself coming out with your insides ripped out of you through your throat. Basically, I have no idea why I like this blend, but I do. Drying this stuff out for a few hours before smoking will do it well.

Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (55)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Hated the first bowl. Thought it was just a plain old nasty flake with a funky stink.. Maybe I has in a bad mood that day. One month later I decided to give old 1792 another whirl. I enjoyed the second bowl very much. I was not as moist and packed it looser and it make a world of difference. Good quality Virginian.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (60)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

A very potent Irish tobacco with notes of baby powder & toast.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (60)
Extremely Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Strong

This is my first time trying this flake and I don't know really where to begin. This is also my first venture into the world of tonquin.

It's strong. Very strong. And I'm not a wimp when it comes to tobacco at all. The flavor though, is awesome, but just very high in the nicotine department for me. Do I still smoke it? Hell yes, but in small bowls. And about once a week.

Like almost all SG flakes, this comes pretty damp in the tin, so let it air out for a while. I crumble all my flakes, and this burns cool down to the end with no bite.

But did I say it was strong? Yes, this stuff makes my bowels move. You have been warned.

SpeedyPete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpeedyPete (29)
Strong Mild Full Very Pleasant

This is the tobacco for me!! I just love the sweet, strong flavour of pure tobacco. Once it's lit, a bowl will last up to an hour if smoked slowly. No tongue bite!! This tobacco should be given all your attention as there are so many nuances to enjoy. Don't hurry, relax and enjoy. Room note is to die for! The baccy is for experienced smokers only.

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (59)
Extremely Strong Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

This is a unique blend - I have never smoked anything quite like it. The flavoring is gentle and honest - the soft cocoa / vanilla / slightly floral smell in the tin (Tonquin Bean I trust since this is my first experience with it) is exactly the flavor that comes out in the smoke and into the room. The nicotine punch is powerful so be prepared - comfortably seated and well fed are the best way to enjoy this one.

I did not find this overly moist but it does want some air. Rub a flake out gently between the palms to leave the strands nice and long, let it rest about 20 minutes, then gather it up into a nice ball while it is still springy and pack inverted leaving an air gap. Let it rest in the pipe a while before firing up. It pairs nicely with scotch taken in small sips.

This blend is not for the faint of heart, and certainly not for those who only want to taste pure tobacco. For me, this one is a delightful change of pace and a definite winner. I agree with Bassmanjay - 'Thank you Lord!'

PitmanPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PitmanPipe (2)
Strong Strong Full Pleasant

Have been very interested in the reviews for 1792, especially the either love it or hate it which is mentioned regularly. The Tonquin flavouring intrigued me so I just had to give it a go. Not stocked at the 2 tobacconists I frequent, but luckily the Durham Pipe & Tobacco shop was more than happy to get some for me.

On opening the tin I got a very pleasing chocolate aroma, no vanilla as some have mentioned. Flakes not overly moist, but stuck together with some flakes broken. Not easy to rub out but eventually got there. Found easy to light but does need regular relights, but not a problem. Using it to break in my new L'Anatra pipe.

Fabulous chocolate taste & aroma. Smoke is creamy. It's like smoking a hot chocolate. Honestly can't taste any tobacco, but is a scrumptious change for someone who adores ropes. Taste may change once pipe broken in (have smoked about 10 bowls). If so will update.

It's definitely moreish. Easy to forget it's tobacco I'm actually smoking. Love the stuff & very much recommended. A regular smoke for me now.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Very Strong Very Strong Medium Pleasant

Tonka, a.k.a. tonquin, is a Carribean bean often compared to vanilla, but very different. One bean is said to be strong enough for 80 cakes or desserts. It is illegal in the U.S. because it can, in very high doses, cause cancer in rats. It has long been used in tobacco, and recently become popular in chocolate.

1792 flake can be summed up as a strong, brown flake, cased in a heavy tonka bean extract, delivering a very high dose of nicotine.

The flake is typical for Samuel Gawith. I suspect they use a little tonka in their Chocolate Flake, which BTW tastes nothing like chocolate.

As aromatics go, 1792 is a fine smoke, if you like the unique flavor of tonka, and if you don't try to smoke it too fast.

It will forever be only two stars due to inconsistent quality from tin to tin.

BourrePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BourrePipe (2)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Quite interesting. Being accustomed to straight tobacco the topping smell opening the can made me hesitant to smoke the stuff. The flake were not too moist so just broke a flake fill the pipe and light the stuff.......well a few times! really different from the english blend I usually smoke, balkan, penzance and other. The nicotine was clearly present but not overpowering, there is a peppery feel to this tobacco but not agressive like you could find in perique mix. It's strong but really smooth to smoke if you can keep it lit. Did not think I would like it with the first puff, but it quickly grows on you.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (106)
Medium Very Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

Well I don't know what all the fuss was about with this flake.

After reading the reviews for weeks I finally managed to get a sample of this stuff. So, with a degree of trepidation, I rubbed this into a pipe.

I thought it was going to be a heavy old smoke, somewhat similar to Squadron Leader. It wasn't quite as hideous as that. In fact I was surprised at how mild it was.

I was expecting all these flavours. Something called a tonquin bean was being talked about.

I'm still none the wiser. I have no idea what tonquin is let alone what it tastes like. This flake is just tasteless.

And here's me thinking it would leave a strong aroma in my lounge. It didn't. No-one commented at all.

I agree with the previous reviewer - what a bugger to keep alight. Glad I don't have a tin to shift.

So, what a damp squib this one was.

Withnail Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Withnail (16)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Strong

Old Mother Nicotine certainly inhabits this blend! As an ex- cigarette smoker, I generally like the occasional bowl of something with more than the normal amount of nicotine. This one might just be going a little too far for me!

The flakes are heavy and thick with an almost tar like colour along with a powerful aroma. I like to rub out my flake tobaccos and this one is more difficult to break up than most. Once lit the thick dark smoke looks like something a special effect department would come up with. The taste is very solid with a full flavour. Although I enjoyed the taste, I actually found that this was a little too strong for my constitution. Just swallowing the saliva in my mouth during a smoke can give me heart burn! This is one of the few SG blends that I haven't really loved. It made the strong "Peterson Irish Flake" blend seem like a gentle Black Cavendish aromatic in comparison. Although not for me, I would recommend it to anyone seeking a really strong smoke with a load of nicotine.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (47)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

The tin is rich with chocolate/carob notes. A very full flavor on lighting. A bit strong in the nicotine department so be sure to smoke this on a full stomach. This Virginia has a darker, full flavor to it and is quite different than the run of the mill Virginia. Smoke it slowly and enjoy! It will bite if you get in a hurry.

Carlos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlos (21)
Strong Very Mild Extra Full Very Pleasant

This is a good one! It tastes very good from the beginning till the end. SG classifies it as a natural tobacco. But it isn't typical, natural tobacco. This one has something different, something special. It makes it very good, delicious. Quite strong, with very nice smell and room note.

TEO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TEO (31)
Strong Medium Very Full Tolerable

Finally I find myself reviewing one of my favorites.

One of the last 2/3 blends with Tonquin Bean flavour out in the shops..well I am a straight 1792 lover, I can't and won't help cellaring more more and more of this but I know it may be a love it/ hate it flake.

I smoked it pure, dry or wet, rubbed or not, but this one is a taste bomb especially if you allow it to dry out a little.

The flakes are mature, dark and silky but they crumble well: nontheless I think you may savour it better not rubbing it that much letting the mastery of Kendal blender surprise you again.

Excellent and creamy tobacco under the strong flavouring that literally wraps around you. It is never harsh nor stingy, sometimes needs a couple more relights but it' s a body and flavour bomb until the last puff.

I always smoke it after a good dinner especially if I cooked some mouthwatering indian curry.

I don't even find it overwhelming in the nicotine department but I must confess I never had more than one flake at a time. Strong, for sure but not too strong for me.

Sweet , Full, for a "once upon a time" feeling, and strong. Very Recommended.

MacNutz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MacNutz (12)
Strong Medium Full Very Strong

I love this tobacco. Other reviewers have suggested that it is Not for beginners but that may depend upon the beginner. I'm very new to the pipe but this one was love at first light.

It is a strong tasting baccy with plenty of nicotine and the wife does not love the 'room note'. Fortunately we have a large garden with covered areas on the roof of our building. I expect to spend a lot of time there this winter.

I rubbed it out and let it sit for a few minutes before loading it into a cob. Had no difficulty keeping it lit but you do want to smoke this slowly. As with any good flake the flavour nuances require slow smoking to be fully enjoyed.

Being a former cigarette smoker the strong nicotine hit was quite enjoyable but could be too much for many. I loves it.

Very Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Warned by the reviews in this forum, and also encouraged by my recent holiday in England experiencing the sort of tobacco I only wish were being offered in my home country, I made it a point of getting a tin of this blend at the earliest opportunity.

Opening said tin, I was disappointed in a good way: no heavy Lakeland floral- soap aroma. Somewhat perfume-ish, yes, but that was to be expected from a Tonquin Bean flavour; the Tonquin seems to be in much demand in the perfume industry. This perfume note makes the tin aroma of the 1792 appear rather light, but there are a few undercurrents in there of DFK and maybe some heavy VA.

As always with Sam Gawith, the 'baccy is rather wet from the tin. Without drying- out, frequent re-lights are necessary. The smoke starts out and remains toasty- sweet; lots of DFK in there, lots of strength. I had to take a break during my first smoke of this, it was that strong; now I use smaller bowls.

With its (for me) considerable strength, and its availability in an area where the Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. ropes and plugs are impossible to get, this is my favourite and-now-I-lay-myself-to-rest smoke: toasty, tasty, flavourful, LOTS of nicotine without going over the top. Accordingly, a peaty Single Malt Islay or Orkney is my usual accompaniment.

Nothing for the beginner here. This is strong stuff, very satisfying to me.

cgar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cgar (37)
Very Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

BAM! Watch out this stuff will pin you quicker than a cat can lick its rear-end!!! I found the taste to be acceptable and the smoke to be very well defined and easy going, but the vitamin N' was way over powering especially when used in a large pipe. I will keep it around for a nice change up and when I need that extra kick form the ole Vitamin N!!!

Ill place this hear because it not on the tin.

WARNING substance in this tin can and will knock you down! :)

NONSUMDIGNUS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NONSUMDIGNUS (11)
Very Strong Mild Very Full Tolerable

If you're the type to sniff your armpits in order to detect the subtle scents of ammonia or salts or if you enjoy taking sniffs of the moist dirty laundry basket in order to detect the variations of nuttiness then by all means, this one's for you!

maigret fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maigret fan (74)
Strong Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

1792 is quite extraordinary. Most tobaccos I know divide between aromatic and 'english' that is virginia, cavendish and latakia is various proportions.

1792 is different. The date or fig aromas are strong in the tin. Actually I bought the tin in late May, opened it in July and the content was still quite wet and difficult to light. In a pouch since, it is now fully satisfactory.

The leaf of Tanzanian tobacco makes it strong from the beginning, similar to some cigarette tobacco (although I did not smoke cigarettes for ages. I confess I am rather a 'wet' smoker but here the smoke is dry and very interesting.

Room note is very strong - wife complained! - so it is at its best outside. On a sunny day that was perfect on the beach!

You will like it or hate it but that is worth a test.

I just finished my third tin and think useful to update the review. Strangely that tobacco gets the more diverse reviews, some reviewers being quite elaborate, mentionning the smell of miners armpits or the smell of visiting a diesel submarine. Some get romantic about the 1792 year. Sorry but I have no experience of miners armpits (!) and truely I visited a submarine which was full of various smells (machines, hot electric cables, etc.). That said one finds oneself spending more time in lightning the stuff than smoking it. A tip: to break the flake in a pouch and leave it dry for a couple of days. I must say the nicotine touch is very strong and one smoke a day is enough for my taste. Conclusion: that blend has to be tried by experimented and open-minded smokers, probably not to select it as a favorite tobacco. Beginners should wait! Therefore I go from highly recommended to recommended.

acyv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
acyv (10)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

According to my style; this is good enough to smoke daily basis. Tanzanian leaf is making the tobacco strong. You should give a try for this tobacco.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)
Strong Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I'm a bit on and off with 1792. Great baccy underneath but the tonquin truck taste is great some days, yet a little drab on others. Probably says more about my whimzy than the tobacco. I you like a full bodied smoke with a good nic kick then you are unlikely to be disappointed by this.

Gawith base tobacco's are second to none. It is way to wet when you get it though, but dont dry it excessively or you'll lose some of the character.

JackSparrow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JackSparrow (14)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Strong

I chose my nickname thinking of this stuff…its flavor and roughness reminds me of ancient mariners and Caribbean pirates sailing on stormy seas!!!

This is an unique blend, no competitors, nothing similar.

But let's start from the beginning. The first time I opened the tin I was a bit baffled: very dark flakes, very moist (like all SG flakes), with a sweetish overwhelming tonquin flavor (I'm not an aromatic lover); anyway something was fascinating me. In a couple of hours I loaded my first bowl and lit: strong and sickening, but still fascinating, couldn't stop puffing. After my first bowl I felt a bit sick, but the day after I loaded a new one, and so on….it was addicting me! Sometimes it still makes me sick, it's a real Kraken in my stomach!!! …but now I think I found the right way to enjoy it: in my two meerschaum pipes, rubbing the dark flakes and letting them dry out for about 1 hour. At this point moisture is correct, the blend is quite easy to keep lit, gives a cool and dry smoke and tonquin flavor is not overwhelming: you can now enjoy it in all its strength. It's simply fantastic, especially if you crave for a big load of vitamin N and love robust stuff.

Letting it dry for a while it burns well and cool, need only few relights. Flavoring is quite strong, so tobacco taste doesn't come first, only in the back groung going through the bowl. For sure it's not for beginners and not an all day smoke. I smoke it when I need something different, when I want to drive a caterpillar! Always in my cellar and in my rotation. It's a love or hate blend: I love it, and rate it 3 *s.

No doubt, this is the strongest blend I ever tasted so far!

UPDATE: after training my aorta and my mouth with heavy loads of the great Brown Rope N4 I can now enjoy this wonderful blend with no reservations and without feeling sick with a big punch in my stomach.....Great flavor, great taste....finally tamed! Simply fantastic!!! Upgrade to **!!!!!

UPDATE 2: now I prefer smoking it in a fully dedicated briar pipe!

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (70)
Strong Very Mild Full Strong

Black as night in the tin. I had to air it our FOREVER to get it where I wanted it. When it was dry enough, it was absolutely unforgettable. If you dry it out to a toasty kind of dry, it is great. This blend will give you a dizzy spell if you smoke too much of it, though. Very high in Vitamin N, but pretty straightforward. Tar comes to mind if tar tasted good. May the force be with you, young jedi, I'm smoking a bowl of 1792.

Fountainhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fountainhead (17)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable

The tonquin is a unique and inviting, an essence unlike any typical thing you would encounter in food or tobacco, so the smoking experience is a real treat. I agree, this is a love-or-hate mixture, but I love it. It has a very deep, satiny, dark taste to it.

Art Pagano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Art Pagano (6)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium Strong

Rich dark smoke. If you rub out & dry for a few hours, you will be in for a treat. Smoke as slow as you can & you will be rewarded.

Philosopher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philosopher (27)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

Definitely a love it or hate it blend. This stuff even looks wicked: a dark black tobacco that you can imagine being smoked by the Uruk-Hai orcs in THE LORD OF THE RINGS. But I like it: the rich coffee bean taste won't be everyone's cup of tea, but if you like Islay malts, Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, and Bolivar havana cigars, this is a tobacco for you to savour.

Piper@thegates Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper@thegates (20)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Being a huge fan of Sam Gawith and a regular smoker of Squadron Leader and Skiff I have to admit to being rather disapointed with my first experience of 1792. On opening the tin I was immediately taken by the unusual aroma of the tonquin which reminded me somewhat of cocoa or a very dark, bitter chocolate. Not being a great fan of aromatics but nevertheless very impressed by the sight and feel of the thickish rough, dark flakes presented in the tin, I proceeded to rub out a medium sized flake. The texture was one of fresh moist straw which at first proved a little resistant or unwilling to crumble. On first flame it was apparant that this flake was nothing like any I had previously experienced. So difficult to light and maintain and yet of such an obviously high standard and quality. My first few attempts at smoking this flake left me frustrated and disappointed, a good reason for me to persevere and discover just why 1792 is one of SG's best selling flakes. Finally, the flake got the better of me and I'd had enough, I tamped the bowl with enough pressure to compress the tobacco almost to its original texture and hey presto! The smoke finally began to show signs of something approaching a pleasurable experience. A very rounded, substantial VA body with the unusual influence of the tonquin always ready to remind the smoker that this was 1792 and not some run of the mill VA flake, this is unique and what can only be described as an acquired taste. This reminds me very much of my feelings when I first started to drink my beloved Guinness.

UPDATE.

Well I'm so glad I did persist. I've just returned home with another two 50g tins of this wonderful, unique flake. Sometimes a little time is needed to get to know and understand the finer points in life, just as with some people and 1792 certainly belongs in the catagory of fine. After about half a tin it was evident that this flake needs about five minutes dry time before crumbling, just a little care thats all. The smoker will be rewarded for his/her attention with a remarkable mellow but full bodied very fine smoke, very fine indeed. Once the bowl takes to the flame the flake burns evenly and slow. This is seriously growing on me. Highly Recommended.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (57)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

A cool, flavorfull Masterpiece. Cant praise this weed enough.

pipealicious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipealicious (21)
Strong Strong Very Full Strong

I got this tobacco as a sample at my local tobacconist and I'm glad I never bought a tin of it. I smoked it today while taking a stroll through the forest. Although the production quality of this tobacco seems excellent, the whole thing unsettled my palate and stomach for the rest of the day. The flakes have the look, feel and even smell of a very old leather belt, maybe one from 1792 ;-). I was interested in the tonka bean flavor which is indeed a mellow vanilla flavor that tastes and smells as if it has been infused with incense. I tried my best to keep this tobacco lit, without much success. I had to relight constantly and when exhaling through my nose I had to retch. After half a bowl I couldn't bear it any longer. Later on while having dinner, I noticed that the tonquin flavor still coated my palate and ruined my appetite. I have much respect for die hards who like this blend, but I must say this is really not my cup of tea.

tedswearingen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tedswearingen (3)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Strong

Admittedly, I was somewhat nervous to try this blend. After hearing accounts of people throwing up after their first bowl and having been warned not to smoke it on anything other than a full stomach, I let this tin sit around for awhile before mustering up the courage to dive in.

In the short time that's passed since my first trial of '1792' I've smoked nearly a half-pound of the stuff. I've found that it's become the most regular smoking fixture in my day. It's the first bowl I smoke when I get home in the evening and very often it's the last bowl I smoke for the day in a general rotation of wild varieties. Because it is indeed quite strong, both in taste and nicotine content, and because of the exotic, dark, vanilla-like flavor derived from the tonka bean, this blend is likely not going to win over everyone. For my part it is quite different and very fulfilling. The taste is robust, yet mild, and while it's not sugary sweet, it's rich, likely on account of the signature Lakeland perfume, often floral, notes that seem to poke through the canvas of flavor from time to time.

Ordinarily I prefer English blends, typically heavily of latakia. I also enjoy many Virginian's although I'm not crazy about perique. Hopefully this will give you the most base idea of where I'm coming from in terms of my preferences.

Enjoy!

Sir Walter Smiley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sir Walter Smiley (24)
Strong Strong Full Tolerable

Every pipesmoker owes it to himself to try this stalewart of a blend. Love, hate or indifference; this blend can carry you back to times where there are no cell phones, street lights and deadlines to meet. Though I doubt indifference is possible from the moment you pop your first tin. Thoughts of cobble stones under foot and biting off the end of a clay pipe I retrieved from the cool, damp taverns wall. Olde world indeed.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

I have to agree with some of the previous reviewers that this is a love it or hate it blend. I seem to be leaning towards the love it side. This is no doubt a strong blend on the nicotine end plus you have the unique tonquin flavoring added to it. It is something that is definitely growing on me. Although, I must admit this will not be an all day smoke for me. The flakes are a nice dark color and the smell in the jar is fantastic(got this in the 250 g box). It rubs out easy enough and it lights up quite easily. It produces a very nice amount of smoke and it isn't long for the nicotine to kick in for me. The wife doesn't care for this one at all, so it gets the tolerable to strong rating for "room note." This is one of those blends that I would recommend everyone to at least give a try, when available.

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (47)
Strong Very Strong Full Very Strong

As has been said, this is a love/hate blend. Here's my take:

Abominable. Smoked half a bowl and the flavour and room note (not the nicotine, I love my ropes) made me feel physically sick.

I've no desire to give this one another chance. Into the trash it goes!

Lots of reviewers are comparing Bracken Flake to this one but I really hope they aren't closely related by anything other than the base tobaccos - I've a tin of BF in the cellar that I was looking forward to until I tried this!

Edit: Three years later and, having developed a serious affection for SG's Elmo's Reserve snuff, which is often said to be '1792 in snuff form', I thought I should give the odious flake another try. So I did. And I'm enjoying it.

Oh well, it just goes to show how subjective this tobacco reviewing business can be!

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (129)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a very high quality dark flake tobacco, and very well presented – as you would expect from Samuel Gawith; it seems to me to be the same whether you buy it in a tin as 1792 flake or loose, as Cob Flake, though – as is so often true with SG tobaccos, the tinned version is improved by a bit of drying out. For what it is, you can't fault it: cool, slow-burning, won't bite unless you beg it to, strong but not unbearably so, full of flavour – all the things you look for in a quality flake. Personally, I don't like it, because I don't like either the very prominent tonquin flavour or the room note; but each to his own: this is certainly worth a try, if only to say that you have. It's an acquired taste. If you like eccentric flavours, you'll get on fine with Cob/1792 Flake; if you like straightforward uncased flakes, you won't.

donmartinthree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donmartinthree (22)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

a little moist in the tin, but not too moist, if you're used to smoking flakes. a couple of matches and this is going.

I don't feel it's too strong concerning the nicotine, however it's an acquired taste and definitely not an all day smoke. still great though!

spicy, sweet-ish, musty, earthy and awesome. I can't really taste the flavoring all that much. it's there, but not overwhelmingly so. I feel the dark-fired leaf dominates much more, giving it a spicy and smoky taste. great in combination with that tonquin flavoring. to me, it's a great smoke on cool, but not cold fall days outside on a walk in the woods. but then again, that's when I enjoy smoking most anyways. at least with most of the tobaccos I smoke frequently.

recommended.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Extremely Strong Medium Very Full Very Strong

First off, I like Virginias. I especially like strong Virginia flakes and plugs, such as G&H Dark Flake and Bosun Cut Plug. I even like the heavily scented "Lakeland" flakes such as Ennerdale and Kendal, blends which are doused with an olfactory kaleidoscope of bizarre perfumes to the extent that my car smells like a 19th century French cathouse.

But this is way too much.

This stuff makes me sick, no matter how hard I try to like it. I first thought it was the nicotene but, upon reflection, I doubt it. I was a heavy cigarette smoker for years, and I know what too much nicotine feels like -- this isn't it. I suspect the flavorings are of a sort that violently disagree with my body's chemistry, as even a tiny bowl of this stuff makes me feel as though I'm fighting off an epic hangover.

That being said, I recommend that everyone give this a whirl at some point. The presentation is flawless, and I really like the idea of smoking a tobacco that's been around for so long. If nothing else, smoking a bowl of 1792 is an experience you'll remember, even if you don't want to repeat it.

Dude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dude (9)
Strong Strong Full Pleasant

This is a great tasting Flake that is dominated by the Tonqiun flavoring..So much for me that it is hard to get much of the tobacco nuances .. as again the main theme is Tonquin , a flavor which I do enjoy. So straight away I would recommend this Flake to pipe smokers who have tried aromatics liking the way they smelled in the tin but did not like the way they smoked. Here with this Flake it smells in the tin exactly as it smokes with the benefit that it smokes dry, well ,and strong (nicotine & flavor). Not that I classify as an aromatic but to me it has all the main points of what a good aromatic could be... My best result is to completely rub out , well dried , and loosely packed. With this method I get a cool slow burning smoke..

I Keep this tobacco in my rotation.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

What a great tobacco,now if anyone had any in stock! I do have 4 more tins left but I'd feel better with some more back-up. I agree w/ Jeremy it is a little moist but man it's gooood. And I smoke more Latakia blends than VA's but like both styles alot and 1792 is up there with the best.

Monopod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Monopod (24)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

I reviewed this tobacco when I had bought it as "COB" flake. I couldn't tell much difference if any between the two.

I've smoked my way through quite some money's worth of assorted baccy to get here, some pleasant some not.

This epitomises what I was seeking in a staple, and now I smoke nothing but, apart from a few choice cigars now and again.

The final accolade ? I kissed my wife yesterday, after a pipe or two's worth, and she exclaimed " Wow, you taste nice" yes dear, it's 1792. "Well," she replied, "It's an aphrodisiac."

Q.E.D. ??

edwardh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
edwardh (1)
Very Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I love this tobacco, perhaps even more now that it seems impossible to obtain in Canada. If dried and packed properly, this tobacco yields a long, luxurious smoke, with no bite. It packs a punch, though, so be prepared!.

Please get through your first tin before making a decision on this one. It is NOT love at first sight! Now, though I have to say it's my favourite.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (133)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

This tobacco had almost a chemical flavor to me and burnt very hot. My tongue and taste buds seemed to suffer. There were moments of grand flavor, but they were few and far between. I do enjoy a strong tobacco, but this seemed a bit harsh. Perhaps the tonquin?

I'll have to give this another try to make sure it wasn't just me or a bad pipe day. Perhaps tongue gremlins. I'll update the review later after trying it again.... I'll make sure to let it sit for about 30 min. before loading my pipe.

I haven't been able to bring myself around to trying this again. Maybe later this year (2011).

n9inchnails Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
n9inchnails (10)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable

This was the first strong tobac that I ever bought and i just love it. To be honest the first time I opened the tin I thought the smell was kinda gross, but now I love to put my nose in the tin (or should I say jar since I now buy this by the pound). It is strong but not overwhelming, and the tonquin adds a different flavour that I find very tasty. Gotta love that tonquin.

Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable

Not much to add to the fine reviews below. This is a love-or-hate tobacco due to the tonquin flavor. Besides that, the tobacco is outstanding and one of the best Lakelands you can find.

Many have referred to its strenght, but I don't find it strong at all for a Lakeland tobacco. Among those, it may be actually one of the mildest in nicotine level, along the lines of Chocolate Flake. Of course, if you're used to plain virginias or english mixtures - let alone aromatics -, you will be hit, but nothing a regular smoker can't take.

The only drawback is the nasty combustibility. It's really hard to keep this one lit for more than a few puffs, unless you're totally devoted to the task.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable

I love this stuff, simply outstanding, I found the bulk even nicer than the tin having a bit more dryness to it. I find it strong but I find Irish Flake a touch stronger as I do some other blends...smooth creamy and bite free, this stuff is a legend and rightly so.

don1688 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
don1688 (27)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium Tolerable

This is just not my normal cup of tea. The tin aroma is somewhat intimidating. I love virginias and am not scared of Lakeland scents (Sam's Flake is superb), but Tonquin is strong. The VA's are pretty good and SG Va's age wonderfully, so even with a 2* rating I will retry in the future. I will, when they've aged anothe few months (3 year goal) try again without sticking my nose in the tin!

You should try a tin because the VAs are quality and you may miss an inexpensive (in USA) and unique tobacco.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)
Medium to Strong Extra Strong Medium to Full Strong

What can I say? When you add too much of two opposite things the result is not always guaranteed. The tobacco is strong but the topping overwhelms it. The mix of a strong aromatic and a strong tobacco is wasted on me. I tried to get a reason to continue smoking this tobacco but the topping would not agree with my instincts so after four tries, I gave the remaining tin to someone else. Oh well you can't win them all!

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

Wow!.....Real quality here.

VERY smooth and mellow, and this odd casing flavour only enhances this fine weed.

To me it smokes like a richer version of FVF, in fact I added a flake of FVF to a majority bowl of 1792 and the results were outstanding..

I've read comparisons to IF by Petersons... Nope, I/Flake is a lot stronger and less forgiving. Whereas 1792 is a real equisite experience. Smoke all the way to the bottom of the bowl in a steady temperate way, leaving not a hint of moisture, but fine white ash..

I'll give it a go on it's own tonight and see if the lack of FVF in the mix makes a difference. May even add some Petersons IF to really jump in with the big boys..

Brilliant stuff. A real thought provoking smoke if you want to nothing but relax and contemplate which came first....the chicken or the egg.

Recommended..

UPDATE - Dropping this one down to 3 stars... Still like it. But doesn't hold my attention as much as FVF does..

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased this blend in bulk and received nicely prepared dark brown/black flakes ~ 6" long with an intense but inviting aroma. Although moister than my preference, they were pliable and permitted easy packing without rubout; my preferred technique. Initial lighting was easy and relights not needed. Although strong measured by nicotine content, a smooth, cool smoke without any bite or condensation resulted. The tonquin didn't bother me and was a nice change of pace from my normal VA & Va/Per flakes. Although a bit much for me as a morning smoke, I especially enjoy this one after dinner and don't know how I missed trying it sooner over all my pipe smoking years. If you're an experienced puffer, give it a try.

FALCON Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FALCON (12)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Strong

Tonquin tobacco?this is bad i not can whith this tobacco

The Full English Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Full English (31)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable

I'd never heard of tonquin before, nor the furore surrounding its use in consumable produce.

Nor do I care. Nor should you!

It's an awesome, one-of-a-kind experience, and the tobacco is top-drawer.

What I really care for is that the casing really makes a bold statement and yet the quality and taste of the flake itself is never undermined; it's both a knockout aromatic AND a satisfying smoke. Get underneath the unusual, but alluring vanilla- esque fragrance, and there's a good deal of subtle flavour to be discovered: mixed spice and dark chocolate for a start. Furthermore, if you like a good nicotine rush, then you're on to a winner - and you won't get the dreaded niccups, or a coarse throat in the process. It's rather more mellow. Another point scored.

It rubs out well, with a nice moisture balance, and although some people will want to air it, my preference is to use it fresh, as the scent and taste diminishes quite rapidly. Frankly, I'm not entirely sure how much of a bonus you'd find in aging 1792. Rather, I think it detracts from the whole experience - especially given the tin isn't vacuum sealed. Indeed, open the tin as soon as you've purchased it and I guarantee you that you'll be wondering if you're smoking a different tobacco within a month.

All in all, though, a remarkably mouth-watering, potent concoction, based on an age-old recipe that really every pipe smoker should be advised to try. I'll most certainly be coming back to this in due course. In fact, I fancy some right now.

Just shy of 4 stars of heady glee from me.

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (40)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Can you believe that I was actually scared of this blend after what I read here?

I bought a can of this about a year ago, opened it once, smelled and pawed at the contents and promptly put it away in the box of tins of stuff that, though good, are not part of my rotations. I Saw it there a few times, and always figured out some excuse NOT to try it...concentrating on other things. Recently, picked up a few ouches and tins, and pulled my "inventory" out onto the table for a thorough going over. There was the orange labeled tin of 1792 staring at me. I felt guilty about it. So I opened it, and found, to my delight, that it had dried out somewhat and the flavor which had previously been reeky and weird had mellowed out somewhat. I brought up the reviews again, and decided that I would try it one of these days.

The tin sat on my coffee table for three or four days. I took the plunge.

Rubbed out nicely. Quality leave at the perfect "bends, doesn't break" moisture level. Stuffed into a half bent kaywoodie apple. Nice light.

Wow, this is smooth stuff. Great smoke consistency. Flavor of cloves and mild vanilla in the backround. A little tingle on the tongue but no bite. Virginia kicks in, smooth and stoved, still a nice flavor, less definably clovey, more like muted incense or some kind of baked spice cookies. the bowl continues to the bottom, the flavor gradually falling into the backround, leaving smooth, slightly sweet, dry stoved virginia flavor. The bowl never gets hot. I'm a cig sometimes smoker, so no appreciable nicotine side effects....just no feeling at all to smoke for the rest of the evening...probably a pretty heavy dose for the uninitiated.

A GREAT tobacco. Believe it or not, this might become a pretty regular player in my rotation.

Not nearly as "scary" as some on this board would have us believe. Not as fetid, and the tonka bean flavoring (the first time I've experienced it) is quite nice.

michwen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
michwen (3)
Medium to Strong Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

I have smoked ciggs, cigarrs and pipes for over 35 years and have never tasted anything this bad. This "tobacco" have nothing to do with smoking pleasure what so ever. It´s not that strong but the taste is just terrible and it destroys your pipe, had to give it a salt treatment after i smoked two bowls.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

This blend is reminiscent of Best Brown Flake. It is darker in color and a bit stronger but I can't find a great difference between the two. The rest of this review is mostly lifted from my review of BBF.

1792 is a finely shredded baccy that rubs out extremely easily and the thin string cut (with no sticks) makes it a snap for easy packing. The only drawback I found in it's delivered condition was too much moisture. Had to dry it out a full day on a cookie sheet to get it right. Unfortunately, the drying process seems to have killed the extra flavor of the added oriental. Packs extremely easily; lights easily with one false light; stays lit with no effort; smokes all the way down with no bad changes in flavor or smoking characteristics and leaves a nice, clean dark ash. Leaves the mouth and pipe with no bad after odors (the wife hasn't complained) or tastes.

The flavor is IMHO pure, high quality, Virginia with added well chosen oriental. Does not smoke hot and never a trace of a bite. This has become one of my favorite baccys but I find BBF a tad less strident and therefore, in deference to it, I will not further stock 1792 unless BBF becomes more difficult to obtain. Still, a good everyday smoke that I don't think I could ever get tired of.

Thank you, Sam!

Bluenoser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluenoser (34)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I have been puffing away on 1792 for a decade and a half. Absolutely love the taste, the look, the texture, and most of all the place where this tobacco seems to put me in thought and contemplation during each and every bowl. It is strong yet gentle. Olfactory senses before and during the smoke reminds me of hemp, the fragrent dust of #3 rope stores on board HMCS Athabaskan my first and only ship during a five year stint in the Navy....and that's a good thing. I really don't know what else to add that would help a reader to decide if he/she should try this smoke. Just beware it will be like nothing you have ever tried before(tonquin loaded), it is simply unique, a marked departure from most other offerings save a few from G&H, Sam's oldest competitor. Please continue to read on through the reviews as many others have really articulated their experiences with 1792 much better then I.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)
Strong Strong Full Pleasant

1792 what a smoke? Hey. First, you have to like dark strong tobacco and then appreciate flavors of a bygone time. Yet, today I cant imagine a pipe tobacco flavored like Skittles nor care too. It arrives really wet as do most S. Gawiths, so prior drying benefits the smoke. You simply, simply cannot suffer tongue bite with this tobacco. If youre not a journeyman pipe smoker or of strong constitution the nicotine from this smoke will beat you like a red-headed stepchild. Pippi Longstockings Facebooks vitals indicates 1792 as her least favorite pipe tobacco! Itll ghost up a pipe like Cannon Plug. Time will pass between smokes, but I always find the charm in these stout tobaccos. You will always taste the tobacco with 1792 and Cannon Plug; whereas, Cavendish based aromatics tend to castrate the tobacco taste.

BrSpiritus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrSpiritus (18)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

Edit 04/06/2011: I'm updating old reviews and I'm dropping this one to 2 stars. I still like it but it's just so... weird I can't keep it in my daily rotation. Due to the extreme shortage of anything Samuel Gawith I won't be chasing down any tins of this anytime soon.

Wow, did some dandy just come back from the past and slap me with a glove? This tobacco beggars description from the tin aroma which overwhelmingly chocolate to my nose to the lighting and burning which if puffed slowly and gently will produce an amazing array of flavours. I prefer to exhale through my nose to bring out the true range and depth of bouquet that is 1792. An interesting tobacco to be sure, and one not for the faint of heart or the beginner.

AcworthAl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AcworthAl (38)
Extremely Strong Mild Extra Full Strong

This is strong, very strong. It does not taste well right out of the tin. However, a few weeks of aging makes a BIG difference. I would not call this an everyday all day smoke, but it has a lot of nicotine and taste rather sweet with age. This is stonger than Five Brothers which I smoke daily

UPDATE I fell in love with this stuff, bought one pound in bulk, it is now an everyday smoke. Great taste, no bite. Room note-well that is another story.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (130)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I want to preface this review with a disclaimer: I don't like flavored tobaccos, but I've been trying. Can't handle the sweet fruity stuff at all, so I thought I'd try something more unique. I've tried, but I just can't enjoy this 1792. To me it's harsh. The flavor is distasteful to me and it ruins the tobacco flavor. The mouth feel is acrid and it just tastes bad. It packs and burns nicely, and for those who like flavored baccies it's probably a good choice (judging from the good ratings it gets here) because the flavor is definitely...how shall I say it...unique. Just not for me.

onehitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onehitter (16)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Strong

I think eating a steak while smoking 1792 would be pretty tasty. 1792 taste is deep,rich and a little leathery but the leather taste was only there as an after note no bite burns nice. I wouldn't call this an aromatic at all I didn't notice any flavoring in fact it was flavorless sans tobacco. This wasn't that strong to me.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I began burning this in a cob, I guess as a precaution. I ordered it bulk, and after the first bowl canned most of it in a mason jar. Its works for me as a last-of-the-day smoke. If I've had something cased earlier I don't notice any bite, but after smoking FVF today the 1792 seemed a little rowdy to the tongue. Nothing brutal, but it left a coating, of sorts. I cannot connect the taste of the tonquin to anything. I think it is pleasant with an ale. If this is an acquired taste, then I am almost there. I will either pop open that jar in the cellar or order a tin. I want more.

03/08/09 Update: Same cob, I'm liking this flake more and more. Rub it into the cob and it burns cool and dry. Outside in the sun on the front porch on a warm, almost-spring day after a bowl of spicy beef stew this was flat out delicious. I changed the room note to "Pleasant to Tolerable" because of input from others. I am no longer detecting a palate coating, and certainly no bite. I like this as much as anything I have rated "Highly Recommended." I am hesitant to go there, just yet.

03/14/09 update: Saturday was a day for pipe smoking. The wife went to her sister's. Abingdon, Penzance, and now 1792. This was the highlight. Four stars, unqualified. Taste acquired.

07/27/09 UPDATE: I am revising some of my reviews. I have given out more 4 star ratings than anything else. That practice is probably not helping. So, I am reducing 1792 to 3 stars, not because I like it less than I did before, but because I am limiting 4 stars to fewer than 25% of all my reviews. One day I MAY use the 4 star rating to designate my top five.

12/04/09 Final update, I promise. After months of a steady diet of Kendall Kentucky, Irish Flake, ABF, and a few VApers, I returned to 1792 this week. I have to place it in my top five. Back to 4 stars to stay. If you like a strong, full leaf, I can highly recommend this dark Kendal flake.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (187)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Strong

Scrolling down the great numbers of reviews till now, the first - obvious - comment is: 1792 is love-or-hate. Regarding me... I'm more on the love side.

In my records and memories 1792 is the sole tonka bean perfurmed tobacco nowadays. I cannot do without thinking back in my memories, tonka bean was one of the classic way the dutch tobaccos were flavoured with (I'm thinking mainly to Schippers, Amsterdamer and, if my memory is not failing, Egberts 44... all discontinued).

I find 1792 strong but not overwhelming - now smoking it as the first pipeful at 08:00AM this sunday morning and just need one more cup of coffee for my stomach... - the tonka bringing out sweetening and mellowing the heavier tones of the fire cured tobaccos (BTW: I don't think there is any oriental in here).

1792 is not everyday meal, that's sure, unless you mix it with something milder, which I have experimented with Troost Aromatic Cavendish with very good results (IMHO of course). I have three Castello shape 15 (a billiard-pot crossover) dedicated, the one with narrower bowl for smoking it straight the others for the mixture.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

Personally, I do not find this as overpowering as some have stated. I usually smoke this when I need a rude awakening. This is excellent tobacco and only for the mature, experienced, pipe smoker. Although 1792 has an aromatic additive, I feel that it is targeted for the English smoker.

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (72)
Extremely Strong Strong Extra Full Overwhelming

My first few bowls of this were bliss.. Very strong flavorful tobacco - very well produced.. But as time went on i found the flavor more and more sickening to the point where if i even think about it i get sick.. this is obviously very good tobacco.. but like black licorice you better have a taste for it or you will regret buying it..

Fernalgas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fernalgas (9)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Very Full Strong

Totally agree with Casper's analogy,first couple of times that I smoked I got the hiccups. I am in my 4th smoke of it right now..it seems to be getting better. The tonquin taste really different to me. Not something you want to smoke if you have a hangover..believe me when I say this..jaja

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (84)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Love at first puff!

The smell when you open the tin is like no other, a vanilla-ish smell that is intoxicating and alluring and vaguely other-worldly. But once you start smoking it...wow. No subtlety or depth here, just in-your-face bombast from its unique tonecolor that must be the tonquin everyone talks about.

Bright, rich, powerful and jubilant, like John Adam's Grand Pianola Suite or Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. Not an every day smoke, but a unique flavor delivered with strength that I now find myself craving with regularity. A power chord in my rotation.

Extremely Strong Medium Very Full Tolerable

Just got around to trying this one, in the tin. The alleged or actual Tonquin flavoring is not as strong as I was anticipating, but the tobacco sure is. Would give one hiccups if not careful. Produces voluminous amounts of smoke, but is quite satisfying if smoked correctly (carefully). Drys out quickly (my sample does at least), and burns well. I have yet to try a really large bowl, but I am looking forward to the experience. Don't be scared off by the Tonquin, it's really not too overwhelming-but this is most definitely a powerhouse tobacco!

Downgrading to 3 stars-I got tired of it and had to force myself to finish the tin. Don't hate it, it is just not a tobacco I would smoke all the time. Glad I didn't buy a pound, but not sorry I tried it. The taste seared itself into my epithelial cells every time I smoked it!

Strong Strong Medium to Full Strong

This is a Virginia flake, highly pressed and generously cased with Tonquin bean oil, very strong in nicotine and requires small bowl. in order to fully enjoy this kind of smoke you need an attentive and contemplative smoking style. small puffs and slow RPM with many pauses. if it is smoked that way, it is delicious.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (59)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable

Cool,dark & elegant, in a very british way. Nicotine strenght = strong, so: just for experienced pipe smokers. Absolutly bit-free.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (110)
Very Strong Very Strong Full Strong

I had no idea what a tonquin bean is or for that matter, what it tasted like, chocolate is the impression I get, now I like chocolate, especially dark chocolate, I also like plums, I have a couple of plum trees in my garden, (though I tasted no plums in this) I also like coffee, in the morning, preferably, in a mug. I do not like these flavours in tobacco.

I had hoped to taste a good strong tobacco, but for me this is chocolate flavoured vitamin N.

Sylvian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sylvian (28)
Very Strong Strong Full Strong

Great insecticide! Ants were gone in two days. For this purpose that'd be highly recommended; for savoring a pipe, only somewhat recommended as it's worth shaking hands with this demon. Be sure not to shake too long though, you might end up without the whole arm.

Like many reviewers advised, a small bowl and good drying are a must.

I admit I got quickly accustomed to the weird aroma and even learned to find it enjoyable, but I don't want to get accustomed to the nicotine+tonquin hit this beast has to offer. Simply not my cup of poison tea. Sorry ma'am.

downeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
downeck (4)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

It is 2017 now and this tobacco continues to amaze me. I let a new tin I just recently opened dry a little too much and the smoke was fierce. I had to slow my cadence down quite a bit. It was nonetheless still superb. I've always tried to smoke it when it is still moist so I can really taste that tonka- when it is on the dry side the dark fired kentucky dominates. I love this blend.

January 29, 2017----------------------------------------------------

Eight years later, it is still one of the best tobaccos I ever puffed on. Reading my review old review after all these years only one thing sticks out that is wrong: it doesn't smell like a dead bird out the tin. I just didn't know what fermented Virginia smashed with dark-fired Kentucky smelt like. A dead bird smells like awful hell.

September 18, 2016 --------------------------------------------------------------

Smelled like a dead bird when I opened the tin.

I took some out, broke it up evenly and let it dry for an hour or two.

I packed a good amount carefully into a corn pipe.

It's an amazing blend. It's just right: tastes amazing, burns well, and it had a peculiar calming effect like no other.

I'll leave the details to the experts down there, but I will just add that it is the finest tobacco I ever smoked.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (86)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

6/14/08

Sorry guys, but as a huge fan of Gawith blends, this one just didn't do it for me. After reading the reviews here, I have to agree with the negative stuff about this tobacco blend. The tin smell was questionable, and keeping it lit was a chore. I disliked the flavor from the initial light-up to the end of the bowl, and what I seemed to taste was something akin to a strong Cigar. It took me a while to figure out what the weird flavor was, but for me it was a cigarish taste. Maybe it's the Tonquin, I just don't know, but I know I won't be buying anymore of this stuff. I have a lot of pipes to choose from, so I'll try it in some other models. I have a Calabash pipe, that really lets you get the true taste of tobaccos, without the flavors of the ghost tobaccos smoked previously. I'll be back with a final update, but so far, I'm not a fan of this one!

6/16/08

OK, so I'm trying this again in a St. Claude, large bowled billiard, and my head is spinning like Linda Blair's. Of course I didn't take some of your warnings about smoking it on an empty stomach, so I deserve what's happening to me. The flavor is still not my cup of tea. Cigarish for sure. The room note is stenchy. I'd like to try this without the Tonquin additive. I think I'll stick with my favorite Sammy blend, Commonwealth Mixture. I need to go lay down now, before I puke...

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (66)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I just can't seem to get the hang of this blend. It is very well respected in the world of pipe smokers, but for me it just doesn't work.

For starters, the tin aroma is lovely, the aroma of tonquin is quite delicious. It is rather oily and moist so I rubbed it out entirely and left it to dry. It never really does dry out, it still retains its oily texture. It is easy enough to pack, but I just can't get it to stay lit. I am personally not a fan of relighting every couple of minutes and there is nothing I have been able to do to keep this tobacco burning. That is a big mark against it for me.

The flavor is semi-sweet, with that dark fired taste in the background. I don't know what happens to the tonquin once you light it, but it disappears. Overall, I find it to be rather boring, but I also can't seem to keep it lit long enough to find out.

The other disappointment with this tobacco is that not only is it tough to keep burning, but every relight features an acrid taste that is absolutely not enjoyable. There is a fair amount of nicotine, but compared to Dark Flake by G&H and Peterson's Irish Flake, I find this pretty manageable. It is slightly stronger in nicotine content than Nightcap.

This certainly isn't a tobacco without quality and it is obviously well crafted when examining the leaf in the tin. However, I just can't find a reason to waste my time trying to enjoy this when I haven't gotten it to work for me over the course of the past month.

If you are big into the strong lakeland tobaccos created by Gawith or Gawith and Hoggarth, give this a try. If not, don't pick this tobacco to try the genre out.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

First of all this has the most marvellous aroma on opening the tin. Stronger than Cob Plug for sure, though to be fair that may vary from tin to tin. My dad used to smoke something that had the same tin aroma of tonquin back in the 1950s and 1960's..I have racked my brains as to what it was, but the only tobacco tin I can remember of his was Gallaghers Rich Dark Honeydew and I don't think that had tonquin in it. As an aside I'm desperate to locate a tin of that I can buy on Ebay and get back to the good old UK:-) Anyway, back to 1792; it's a full strength dark rich tobacco, one of the very finest you can smoke...full of dark creamy flavours with the tonquin giving a lucidity to the overall effect. I rate it on an equal strength to the Brown Rope though of a completely different taste. I know that the traditional "English smoke" is widely accepted in the States as being something like GLP's Westminster; but maybe I am being heretical here but in my experience of my grandfather's generation of pipe smokers...he was born in 1890 and died in 1959...and my father's generation...1914 to 1979..this type of tobacco, with no Latakia etc, is the traditional English pipesmokers type of baccy. My great, great uncle...born in 1868 was still alive when I was a lad and also smoked the same straight tobacco; so I think this phrase has grown up and been accepted as gospel with a somewhat dubious historical pedigree. 1792 is one of the traditional English tobaccos' and thank heavens that such a great house as Sam Gawith is still with us....even though their product quality (see my review of FVF) has sometimes left a lot to be desired. If you want to experience the very best of tradition, to taste the authentic pipe smoke that generations of Englishmen have enjoyed then you owe it to yourself to visit this one.

By the way, for those of you who have struggled with the tonquin, here's a tip...fill a couple of pipes with 1792 and leave them out for a day or so. When you come to smoke them you will get all the flavour of a well made baccy and the tonquin will have subsided into the gentle background.

Lastly, I share the sighs of those who try to give reasoned, helpful reviews for the benefit of fellow pipe smokers and to have to put up with folk who admit they don't like this type of blend and then give it a 1 star. This adds nothing to anyone's knowledge or appreciation. Please don't do it!

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Extremely Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I had this tin for a year before I dared open it, having read the reviews on this site. I only wonder why I waited! It's lovely stuff!

Smells sweet and tobaccoey in the tin, a very rich, strong smelling baccy, but with an unusal vanilla/liquorice aroma that is very pleasant, and not AT ALL sickly. This tonquin is vanilla for real men, a world apart from the sticky, saccharin aromatics.

The flakes are dark, oily and stringy, fairly moist, and irregular, cut quite thin. It rubs into a stringy mass that takes a knack to fill a pipe with. It lights with two matches, no difficulty, but it doesn't invite the flame onto it as some do.

The flavour is rich, very full, but IMMENSELY smooth. Like velvet. There's a sweetish taste that hovers in the background, but most of the flavour is an honest, rich tobaccoey taste. There is NO tongue bite, it would be impossible to produce it, and it has none of the harshness I've found in the twists.

It smokes much the same all through the bowl, the aromatic notse dwindling, but the sweetness of the leaf building toward the end, and the smoke getting steadily richer. Then you notice that it is incredibly strong... Good job I chose a small pipe.

Something to have after a hearty meal I think- a stew with dumplings, or lancashire hotpot. Or as an after breakfast smoke, after a full english with black puddings. Have a strong cup of tea with this, anything else will be drowned out by the flavour of the baccy. A pint of a fairly rich ale might go well with it too.

Good stuff, don't be afraid of it, just choose a smallish pipe and don't smoke it on an empty stomach.

--------------------------Update----------------------------------

I've smoked a lot more of this now, and have thoroughly enjoyed every bowl. It is strong, yes, but has never made me feel at all queasy, so it's no blend to be afraid of. It seems to be well appreciated for it's aroma by several friends who don't like the smell of the sweetest aromatic tobaccos, and various cigarettes smokers who have tried it out of curiosity have gone away muttering about having to get themselves a pipe!

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (53)
Strong Strong Medium Tolerable

Who said 'no casing?' This stuff REEKS of artificial chocolate-mint flavor goop on opening. I tried it straight from the can & couldn't get 1/2 way through. Opened the can for a week & let it dry to toast-like consistency and found it much less 'aromatic.' Altogether a better mild, one-dimensional but cool-smoking flake. I hesitate to call it a Va because it lacks the sweetness or freshness I am used to in such flakes. Being cheap, I will probably smoke it now that the phony candy aroma is gone, but cannot recommend.

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (37)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable

I am on my second tin and the only thing I can say is that sometimes this one hits the spot and then other times I want to dump it soon after it is lit. The nicotine is not overwhelming to me, but then again, I am also a cigarette smoker.

The one thing that is consistant is that this stuff seems to always stay cool. When I do smoke it, I find it enjoyable to produce copious amounts of smoke. Most blends I sip, but this one I go at with a little more verve. It is good with a cup of coffee with a splash of Jameson whiskey or Kahlua.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (76)
Very Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Although I considered myself an exprienced smoker of flake tobaccos, I had put my pipes away for many years smoking only cigars. However I missed the range of flavors available via the pipe, as well as handling the many briars and meerschaums I accumulated in the 70's and 80's. This was one of the first tobaccos I tried when I picked up my pipes again and I was at overwhelmed by it's strength. I smoked in a large billard meerschaum (a Paul Fisher) and several smaller briar pipes.

I love the look and feel of this flake and it's aroma in the tin. After my first smoke, I let it dry out for a day and tried it again. It begins very peppery, but settles into a range of nutty flavors. It burns cool and to a white/grey ash. But it is a powerhouse, and gave me thoughts of dropping it from any rotation of blends.

Then it dawned on me to do a little "aftermarket blending." McClelland's Dominican Glory is a rather bland blend in a ribbon cut I thought would mix well with this flake. Rubbing out 1792 and mixing it 50/50 with Dominican Glory produced what I was looking for -- a mild to medium smoke that knocked the power of 1792 down, but imporved the taste of Dominican Glory. This was also a great solution for the several tins of McClellands I had sitting around.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Extremely Strong Medium Extra Full Strong

Oh boy...!!! Prepare for a very... very... hard ride!!! For hardcore smokers only!!! Not my bowl of weed for sure...!!!

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (46)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Strong

This is a nice aromatic, and one of only a few I like. It contains enough nicotine to make it worth smoking. And its mild on the mouth. I reach for it probably once a week. I will say the room note is not too great. Kinda cigar like. Though it has no cigar flavor.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (47)
Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A few months ago I tossed all my aromatic blends and have borne no regret since. I still picked up a tin of 1792 knowing it had the tonquin flavoring to it. I?m a sucker for Sammy G blends and for tobacco listed on this web site as strong with the nicotine hit. I don?t have any fancy words for ya, ain?t fixing to wax rhapsodic. I liked it. The tin aroma that many here have suggested as yucky (a composite tally and condensed word) I actually found enjoyable, sweet, hay like with a vanilla overtone. This stuff smokes like a solid Virginia flake with a hint of vanilla that is nowhere near as obnoxious tasting as it sounds. I?ve only smoked it in an old Parker Meerschaum so far as it took a lot of work to get aromatic flavors out of my favorite briars, so I?m not sure what pipes this stuff loves. I?m going to wait and see if anything untoward lingers in the meerschaum. For now I give this stuff three stars and an asteroid.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Extra Full Tolerable

I was prepared to be floored by the nicotine level in this blend, but I found it to be lighter than Nightcap, and much lighter than Hal O' the Wynd, which is the strongest blend as far as nicotine kick, I have tried thusfar.

As for the tonquin flavor, the best I can describe it would be to put garbanzo beans in your pipe and smoke them. Not horrible, but I won't ever smoke this blend again, if this intriques you, by all means give it a try, but it failed to hook me in.

No other tobacco I have ever tried has tasted like this, so it may be worth a try just for that reason, just don't be too worried about the massive nicotine kick, as I feel this to be a reasonable amount for most people to handle.

kylepoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kylepoet (18)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It's taken a little time for '1792' to cozy up and make itself at home. Admittedly, I smoked my first pipe of this about a month, month and a half ago, and I wasn't sure at that point where this flake would take me. Since then, we've become more than nodding acquanitances, and the beginning of a friendship has started.

I don't find tonquin overwhelming or unbearable. Aye, this blend is a wee bit strong at the start, but at the quarter-mile, it's a delight. It stays that way until the finish; it gives a rich smoke, pleasant taste, and an aroma that's like well-turned earth and new-cut grass on a late spring day. Good stuff.

Try to dry this out just a touch before packing and lighting. It does come moist. I like it moister than drier, though. It just seems to me to be a little easier to pack and more flavorful as I smoke it. I can live with relights. If it dries out too much, though, I feel it becomes much too brassy. I try to keep a tight seal on my jars with '1792.'

I can't give this four stars, because I don't see myself smoking this on a regular basis, like I do SG's 'Full Virginia Flake.' '1792' is a favorite, eccentric uncle who visits for a weekend, every couple of months, instead of the steady mate you sit at a bar with after work. Both are great to have in your life, but you look forward a bit to the occasional visitor, and the rich experience you've come to expect, a little more than the good friend you pal about with.

Ende

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (60)
Extremely Strong None Detected Extra Full Tolerable

Rare amongst tobaccos. It has merits on its own. A tobacco for the men among men. Not for every day. Not for bystanders. A must try, but not a must-love. You are just as worthy to love it or to hate it. Earthy, musty, meaty and very dry. Once in a blue moon for me, and recommended with the same frequency to those with a passion for the briar and the leaf we stuff it with. If you smoke this as your primary blend, you are one tough piper....

Lancelot Gobbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lancelot Gobbo (23)
Strong Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Many years ago I favoured the sweetest, blandest and 'goopiest' aromatic I could find (it was 'Checkmate' by Winston & Holmes - a long-dead tobacconist in Toronto, and still available from their descendant, Sleuth & Statesman). Now I know it wasn't vanilla & coconut, but tonquin that flavoured it. This is like a 'dry' version of vanilla, just the same but not as sweet. Certainly intense, though. This tobacco is very moist and should be aired. It is a smooth smoking, but positively aromatic experience. It has lots of nicotine. Lots. If you want to smoke an aromatic, but retain the respect of your English mixture colleagues, this will fit the bill nicely. On the other hand, if you hanker after the actual flavour of tobacco, go with its stablemate, SG's Best Brown Flake (NOT G&H Brown Flake #2, mind!)

Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When nothing else will do...POW! Smoked in a very small briar this tobacco is quite nice but...still very potent. Don't give up after only one encounter. It is a high quality flake. Hand rub it out, let it sit in the pipe for 15-30 minutes before lighting up. Not for the inexperienced smoker. An occasional pleasure.

Very Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Tolerable

A very good flake if you like lake District Virginias. This is lightly flavoured with tonquin, I think it's a pleasant taste. The strenght of this one is something that may offend your palate and tongue, so pay attention.

Simenon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Simenon (20)
Overwhelming Very Strong Full Pleasant

Well this tobacco is truly out of the ordinary. It has more in common with some illegal substances than other pipe tobaccos.

The tin aroman is pure cocoa, very interesting.

While smoking, the flavour is of powerful (and somehow natural vanilla) but enjoyed by people in the room, including even non smokers.

But what is great about this tobacco is what it does to you: it lifts you up your chair; it makes you high, literaly!

I doubt its nicotine, since I can puff on dark Cuban cigars and feel sick from too much nicotine --but this feels way diferent. Its not the nicotine: its the Tonquin, stupid.

My prediction: This stuff gets outlawed or the formula changed in the next five years.

By the way I say I smoke this regularly, but this is only because its the highest recommendation available. According the classification available here, Coca-cola would rate over a $600 dollar bottle of wine just because you can drink coke everyday! Lol!

Very Strong Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

It was with fear and reverence that I approached this dreaded blend, After all, the ropes from the Lakeside district had made me sick (for nicotine strength and taste) and I had thrown them away in disgust. I did not smoke it on an empty stomach, but I was very careful not to inhale (though I did a couple of times by mistake). So I loaded it in a Tinsky dedicated to Virginias and fired away. Tin aroma is offensive (very fermented, not sweet at all, musty, leathery, almost cat piss) but not very strong.. After letting it open for a couple of hours, the offense to the nostrils is reduced. Similar to Brown Rope, but not nearly as harsh or intense. Very thick smoke, nice flavor, not flowery like some othery Lakeland tobaccos. Not excessively tasty, but the subtleties of taste are very good, natural and only minimally showing the tonquin flavoring. Nicotine strong? Yes, but not as scary as someone may say: at least in small bowls it CAN be smoked. Very relaxing, an almost druggy effect of well being, but not sickness. A good tobacco that I will keep smoking once in a while: I prefer other sweeter Virginias, or the equally dark but friendlier Dark Star, but 1792 isn't bad at all once in a while, and quite unique! Do not DGT, because it tastes bad and rough! Stinky room aroma to non -smokers (described as horse dung!), while cig smokers seem to like it. (Review based on tin version)

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (43)
Very Strong Very Strong Overwhelming Strong

I doubt that I can add much to the reviews already posted, but suffice to say, you have to experience 1792 to really understand what all of the talk is about.

And if you do decide to try it, do so on a full stomach (trust me on that one). It will go to work on your constitution by mid-bowl and you better be ready.

Also, as Tatum pointed out, the smell of some tins of 1792 is pretty bleak. Garbage might take offense to being compared to some tins of 1792 I've smelled.

However, if you can get past all of this, this tobacco can yield some very complex and interesting tastes. Stick with small flake bowls and be sure to write out your will first.

Good luck.

flint Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flint (30)
Very Strong Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Sorry guys this one just kicked my butt. Very good flavor just too strong. Smoking this is like playing with a gorilla, the first 5 seconds are great after that you're screaming for mercy.

Horse Bodotes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Horse Bodotes (19)
Extremely Strong None Detected Extra Full Overwhelming

'I am Sam. Sam-I-Am' 'Do you like 1792 Flake (and Spam)?'

I do not like them, Sam-I-Am I do not like Brown Flake (or Spam)

'Do you like it, from the tin?' The revolting stench, it keeps me thin

'Do you like it in the house?' I cannot smoke it near the house, The stench infuriates my spouse

'Would you, could you, in the rain?' I would not, could not, in the rain, That acrid smoke, it gives me pain

'You may like it, you will see,' 'You may like it in a tree!' I do not like it in a tree, Let?s face it Sam, it?s not for me

I will not smoke it here or there, I will not smoke it anywhere I DO NOT LIKE 1792 FLAKE (OR SPAM), I DO NOT LIKE IT, SAM-I-AM!

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (102)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable

I found 1792 to basically be the flake version of XXRope. Same nauseating tin aroma, same no-nonsense taste. Fundamental difference, for me, was that I tasted certain sweet spots as the bowl progressed;these "tastes" were absent in the rope version. 1792 is a strong tabak and as such is best smoked in smaller doses, providing a very straightforward experience with only a small number of minor surprises. NB-for the rather affrontive tin aroma, the roomnote is surprisingly neutral.