A solid and classic blend with great character and a distinctive balance between Virginia, Oriental tobaccos and a slight touch of Latakia from Cyprus. Truly a continental, mild mixture with an outstanding taste balance.

BrandA & C Petersen
Manufactured BySt-Group Assens
Strength
Taste

3.2
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a nice Latakia laden blend in thick, ribbon cut form but still burns more quickly than some offerings. Because Latakia is big on flavor and low on strength, a little Burley has been added and the cavendish eases the throttle on the burn rate - but not much.

There is good depth of flavor here (due to the fine Cyprian latakia leaf & Virginia employed), and the presentation is a little on the unusual side due to the Virginia addition.

Thoroughly enjoyable.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Old non-flat tin in the C&D style. Color runs light to black, with some chunky pieces among the ribbons. Tin nose is latakia up front with some enticing orientals to the rear. Overall kind of non-descript. I ended up not drying this as much as usual. Some noticeable moisture was best, but a half hour dry time was about right.

First impressions were the obvious ones. The latakia was light in taste but was the most noticeable flavor until about mid-bowl when the orientals made a push. The Virginias held it all together but also provided a nice sweetness, although there may have been a topping present as well. It was a bit sweeter than I'm used to from just Virginia, but I could be wrong about that. Second impressions was that this struck me as tasting a lot like the Sillem's London Blend I recently smoked... except that one contains perique, burley and Cavendish and this one does not. I certainly can't explain that, and I didn't get the wispy flavors those constituents added to Sillems. But this one brought the taste of that one very much to mind - even the cut was the same. I'd have to dig deep to tell these two apart in a blind test, granting that I don't have the most discerning taste buds in the world. I wish I had saved some of the Sillems. At any rate, this was an interesting but predictable English blend of the lighter variety in a crowded field. Good but not outstanding, and as it's out of production, it's hard to recommend. On the other hand, I doubt it would sell for much money on Ebay so if you stumble across a tin and are curious, give it a shot.

Age When Smoked: 20+ years

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of the few Latakia blended tobaccos that can be safely smoked in public; the Latakia, though, is barely noticeable. It is quite mild yet very flavorsome, and as I can recall it has a certain topping (not so much as an artificial flavor but a kind of herbal spice) that provides a muted sweetness and a very woodsy aroma. Remember: we are dealing here with a Danish (luxury) blend.

Indeed, if smoked aggressively it can lead to tongue bite. But because the cut is sort of coarse (wild?), it burns rather cool. I would classify this as an elegant blend, polite, fresh. Latakia hounds may not fully appreciate it, but as a change of pace, in the mild side of things, this is recommended. I prefer this to the red tin melànge, and it's equally good as the blue and the black tins (the latter with a rather noticeable Perique component).

I'm not a big Latakia fan but this is one of the better such blends for me since as advertised, it has a slight touch from Cyprus. It doesn't overpower the smoke and even doesn't get much more intense near the bottom of the bowl. The VAs are sweet and I found the overall balance enjoyable. Packing and lighting were easy and relights not required even though the ribbon cut is rather coarse. That may have helped to cause a cool smoke without a hint of bite. It's getting hard to find these Caledonian blends but give this one a try if you prefer an English that's not so rich and heavy.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (81)

Like Ratcat, I tend to think this is a pretty wicked mix. Big chunky pieces mixed with ribbons. Not the most powerful dose of Latakia, but a nice spicey blend that doesn't leave your mouth coated for weeks. Solid medium English.

It took awhile for me to enjoy this mixture, but after a pipe or two, I found that the tin emptied steadily.

Rob73 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rob73 (77)

There's a soapy note in this wonderful tobacco, unfortunately no longer distributed here in Italy, that makes 466 cool, spicy, perfect for an all-day smoke. 4,5/5 in my personal rating system.

Purchased From: Bollito, Torino (Italy)

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A light Latakia mixture that burns cool with interesting notes. A tin was offered to me by a fellow pipe smoker and while I could say that it has a light Latakia presence, the Oriental and Virginia complement this mixture quite nicely. There is a topping that shows up once in a while but it doesn't deter from the experience. All in all a balanced choice for a Latakia beginner and a change of pace for the Latakia journeyman.

TEO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TEO (31)
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Sweet and cookie-like flavour for this blend, orientals leading the game and VA and Latakia way too in the back. Latakia is very very light in percentage and Orientals smell of a country farm kitchen. Anyway, a balanced blend, not too heavy in taste and clean and dry smoke. Always cool and sweet, it has only a big fault in my opinion: it is waaaay too light in Nicotine, much more than I expected. To solve this, I smoke it 80%, with a 20% Gawith Brown Rope or some Italia Kentucky Blend to add some punch. It reminds me of Dunhill Early Morning, with some more spice and a little less taste. It reminds me of MCconnell Oriental too, which I like more, in taste and "cheesey" smell.

PS- my tin was a spare one from an unknown tobacconist in town, it must be at least 3-4 years old; it is not too dry, lights and stays lit well and never bites.

Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (35)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a cased "à la danoise" latakia mixture. This is really too light of an english and more of an aromatic in my view.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (84)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I like this one a whole lot.

It was difficult for me to determine whether to give it three stars or four. I opted for three since I like to reserve four stars for my personal masterpieces. But even though I don't consider this one a masterpiece, it's one of my favorites. I mean, you just can't listen to nothing but Beethoven's last string quartets all the time, right? Sometimes you want something lighter and more simply entertaining but still quality.

That said, this is a manifestly pleasant smoke, with enough complexity and subtlety to maintain interest. It's very smooth and remarkably balanced, with the subtly sweet virginias sometimes coming to the forefront, other times the slightly tangy orientals or nutty burleys, with the latakia always gently lurking in the background. It's smooth, and delightfully and delicately spicy, mild, but not too mild.

As has been observed by others here, one peculiarity of this blend is the subdued opening. I won't pretend to understand how this can be, but the "flavor is almost undetectable", as fortezero says, when you light up, though there are some hints of what's to come: it's like a soft, shapeless ambient texture that, as you get a little further into the bowl, gradually blossoms and develops into a fugue of flavors. I don't know any other blend that opens up like this one does.

This has become one of my default blends, one I just naturally grab when I want a great smoke that's not a gourmet delight. It may not be a masterpiece, but it's perfectly satisfying. (Maybe I should give this four stars... no, not yet.)